The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sequel?

UVLaser

Enlightened
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie was really good! I wanted to know what you folks would think if they should make a sequel to it. Should they or should they not?

carrot

Flashaholic
It was pretty good. Wasn't exactly true to the book, but I was pleased with the conversion. Not sure how they'd do the rest of the series though... it goes off pretty weird. I guess I'd like to see a sequel to the movie, since I felt the end of the movie left me hanging...

Have you read the books? If you liked the movie... the books are even better.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
UVLaser said:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie was really good! I wanted to know what you folks would think if they should make a sequel to it. Should they or should they not?

They got the "tone" of the books right IMO. But I thought that the pacing was a mess.

There's just no way to handle the plot and all the little jokes and innuendo's in a two hour movie format, IMO.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed the movie, but I went in expecting it to not be very good, and I wasn't disappointed. It's definitely worth seeing, put it into your netflix rotation ;) But the books are still the final word. I actually own the original BBC production series on DVD, but I have no real interest in owning this.

The best part was the cameo by the original Marvin from the BBC production :D

Robban

Enlightened
The movie doesn't even come close to the books (in entertainment value that is) IMHO. The version in the books is the "true" version for me and the movie differs on a lot of points that kinda annoyed me. To be honest I don't really remember much of the movie anymore, says a lot...

I guess I went into it with way WAY too high expectations.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
James S said:
I actually own the original BBC production series on DVD, but I have no real interest in owning this.
Duh...I didn't even think to look if the original was on DVD! That's what got me interested in HGTTG in the first place!!

Now I need to go "bargain hunting"!! :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least four of the five in the Hitchhiker trilogy can also be had read by the author as audiobooks. I don't usually read fiction (the real world is strange enough for me) but sometimes I'll listen to it if it doesn't interfere with some task I'm involved in.

I've been a book freak all of my life and audiobooks read by the author are interesting to me. Book people like First Editions because they feel that they are closer to the author than subsequent editions. When an audiobook is read by the author it's even closer yet, right down to inflection.

Of course, all bets are off if the author happens to be a crappy reader...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hm ... I wasn't particularily fond of the film ... IMHO it was sometimes a bit annoying and lacked the "fine" humour. I found it to be a bit on the "dumb and slapstick" side.

Bob_G

Enlightened
If you loved the books, you can relate to the movie, tell it came from the books, but it's overall a disappointment if you're expecting it to be true to the "spirit" of the books. Also, the movie has an entirely new, written just for the movie, ending, which I thought was pretty lame (did someone says this already?)

If you forget the books, the movie is pretty funny in places. Bit it comes off as a low budget, goofy English humor thing, pretty well lacking the soul and spirit that infuses all of Adams' writing. You could say they got the surface, but missed the inner details.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
but sometimes I'll listen to it

Audio books are the single best thing that ever happened to long distance driving. i can put in hours more a day and never feel tired or let my concentration lag if I have a good audio book to listen to. I wouldn't listen to something just because I wouldn't want to read it, I read constantly and voraciously, both fiction and non, but in the car NOTHING beats a good audio book.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
James - what do you feel the best source for audio books are? Do you use Audible.com or something else. I'd like to try out a few.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
James - what do you feel the best source for audio books are? Do you use Audible.com or something else. I'd like to try out a few.

Audible has the best recent content (and even then it's not complete) and they also have really good quality. If you're going to get their $15 a month subscription it can save you a lot of money as most are quite a bit more expensive than that. I use audible almost exclusively now that I can download them to my ipod. But sometimes something is only available on CD and I have to rip it first, but thats no big deal it's just more expensive.

Audible also finally upgraded their website recently and you can actually search and find things now. It used to be horribly setup unless you just liked finding everything from long lists.

I have downloaded a few mp3 ones from other places without any problems, but so far it's audible that I used most.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
MINOR SPOILER, though not really giving away much

The movie was a big let down for me. I wasn't expecting much and it delivered. It had some good parts, but they were seperated by a lot of boring parts. Good actors, bad directing was my take, and I don't know why they had to screw around with Zaphod's head.

carrot

Flashaholic
One of the best parts about the movie for me was the intro song -- "So long, and thanks for all the fish." I know there was an older version of it, but the newer one is much more to my liking. I had that song stuck in my head for days after I watched that movie.