10 volts in SF M6 batt pack?

nuggett

Enlightened
I just lost my 2 hour old MN21 bulb, dead. I am measuring 10 volts at the ends of the batt pack, is this correct? I was under the impression it was a 6 volt bulb. Bulb died on fresh Pentagonlight batts.

wquiles

Flashaholic
The M6 has two parallel stacks, each one with 3 CR123 cells in series, so the nominal voltage is around 9 volts or so (no load). The loaded voltage with the MN21 is about 6.7-6.8 volts or so, and about 7.2 volts for the MN20.

Will

mdocod

Flashaholic
A set of 3 FRESH lithium primaries, could net close to around 10V with no load..

I am suprised to hear that it flashed so soon though... maybe those pentagon cells are different than other lithium primaries?

nuggett

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I loaded some batterystation cells and got the same reading, so I guess all is normal. Not sure what happened to the bulb, went to push the button and no light. I 'll email SF.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
10V is high. Even then, the MN21 will pull them down pretty low as andrew said. Have you measured the open cell voltage of each individual 123? New ones should meter out at 3.1V

nuggett

Enlightened
I am amazed that the MN21 will pull the voltage down that much. I have a lot to learn about this stuff. A little different than my usual 120v wiring!
Each cell on my cheap analog meter looked normal, I will need to get my Fluke digital to read the smaller increments.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123s are really meant for low-current devices.. definitely less than an amp. In an M6.. about 22W are consumed heating the batteries.. and about 33w gets to the lamp.. 61% efficiency.. ouch.

apparently.. regulation wouldn't hurt with primary cells either.

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic
andrewwynn said:
CR123s are really meant for low-current devices.. definitely less than an amp. In an M6.. about 22W are consumed heating the batteries.. and about 33w gets to the lamp.. 61% efficiency.. ouch.
It never ceases to amaze me how wastefull running the M6 is on primaries. Clearly the cost of replacement batteries was very low in the priority list, which is OK given the intended use/audience. For us flashoholics, it is a fantastic host with a terrible power source :(

Will

nuggett

Enlightened
I was wondering about all that heat coming from the power pack when running it.
Once , I opened it and air cooled the batts, I was so concerned about the heat.
But it has spoiled me, I am not so awe struck by my G2 with P61 anymore!
Seems that Optics HQ has MN20 bulbs, so it ans a MN21 are on the way.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured over 180F on the battery pack after 11 minutes.. 22W of heat is impressive in such a small space.

-awr

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
nuggett said:
I was wondering about all that heat coming from the power pack when running it.
Once , I opened it and air cooled the batts, I was so concerned about the heat.
But it has spoiled me, I am not so awe struck by my G2 with P61 anymore!
Seems that Optics HQ has MN20 bulbs, so it ans a MN21 are on the way.

Their latest stock list does not show any MN20's as far as i can tell. Are you sure they have them because if they do I will definetly order one. I still have the coupon from surefire for a free MN20 or MN21 too so I would just call them and get another MN21 for a spare.

nuggett

Enlightened
well,the order went through, at least until a human sees that there are no bulbs on the shelf! And whats this about a 35watt osram bulb on the HDM6 thread? sounds interesting. Emailed Surefire with the coupon, so another bulb on its way. backup for the backup.

Latest posts