Simple Low Voltage Boost Converter

*Retired*
I remember building a boost supply back in 2003, and tossed it in the box with dozens of other ones I built back then.

Why did I toss it? Well, it's efficiency was really poor.

But it had one unique feature, and some folks have been asking me about a low input voltage boost converter that can run off of a single NiMH AA.

It is one of the super duper simple switcher circuits, which have very few parts, like the old Zetex favorite, and most folks can build.

It is based on the NCP1450A found here:
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=NCP1450A

The circuit is super simple to put together and needs very few parts for a voltage boost:
onsemi2.jpg

On page 5, Figure 7, the closest to our scenario, they recommend the NTGS3446T1 MOSFET, and some other components/values. Just remember to keep the power paths short and the traces broad, and pay close attention to layout rules, mentioned on page 21.

You can find suggested part values, part numbers, and such on page 19.

Typically, if you use a really great inductor, it can push 500mA at 68% efficiency, if the NiMH can hold up to the current draw and maintain 1.2V.
You also need to use a uber low Vf Luxeon, such as a TWOF or TWOG.

Unfortunately, the NiMH are not that stiff, so the efficiency drops into the 60's. Then if you use a TWOH, you are looking in the 60% efficiency range.

Now, if you are willing to back off on the current, to 200mA (to the Luxeon), you can manage to squeak 80% efficiency out of it. As the cell drops 0.9V, the efficiency manages to still hold 70%.

The efficiencies on 2AA pick up alot, and one can get a little bit over 80%.

I'll leave the constant current portion up to your imagination and skills, if you want to add that, which will drop the efficiencies a bit.

Since this converter can't hold much more than 200mA at 0.9V, the discharge curve looks alot like the voltage plot on a discharging cell under load.

I am now aware of one rather recent converter here on CPF that implements this device and the datasheet's recommended MOSFET, the circuit is pretty much right off the datasheet. Sorry, there is nothing unique or special about this, and I know I'm not the only one that played a bit with this really old chip. You have my apologies ahead of time.

The part I used way back then, is shown below, in the red circle:
onsemi.jpg

Anyhow, by the time 2004 rolled around, these low efficiency non-synchronous converters were all tossed aside as newer synchrous much higher efficiency converters became available. Very late in 2003, I had a chance to skim though alot of vendors websites, and pick out some suitable devices. The rewards were great, with efficiencies in the mid-90s. For those interested, feel free to dig through the archives. Unfortunately, only one of these chips will work down to 0.9V.

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks Newbie. What would the maximum Vout be?
I want to run about 3x5mm white led's at about 50mA for a total of 150mA .

I would use 2xAA alkalines connected in parallel, should have huge runtime??

Streak

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now aware of one rather recent converter here on CPF that implements this device and the datasheet's recommended MOSFET, the circuit is pretty much right off the datasheet.
is it MillerMods circuit? or something else?. I am guessing it could be even Fenix range of products (looking at the cost of the converter $0.32) looks like a sub $1 converter easily possible :)

*Retired*
Streak said:
Thanks Newbie. What would the maximum Vout be?
I want to run about 3x5mm white led's at about 50mA for a total of 150mA .

I would use 2xAA alkalines connected in parallel, should have huge runtime??

Streak

I'd look at other parts for a series LED string.

Maybe look at something like this instead, http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP1406-D.PDF

There are hundreds of solutions out there for what you want to do these days.

Consider Micrel, Linear Tech, TI, Maxim, Intersil, Semtech, Sipex, and dozens of other companies.

Another cool chip that recently showed up for a 2AA solution:
The new TPS63000 buck-boost DC/DC converter delivers up to 96% peak efficiency over a wide input voltage range of 1.8 V to 5.5 V up to 1.2 A.
http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/landing...rand_Tracking&HQS=Other+OT+portal_bc_tps63000

Last edited:

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks Newbie.
The LEd's will be connected in parallel so only about 4v needed to drive them at max brightness.
Input voltage will be 1.5v and it would be nice if the boost circuit could operate down to about .9v

Still looks like your original circuit would do the job. You are right there are many other manufacturers that have solutions but yours above is cheap and simple!!

Streak

*Retired*
Streak said:
Thanks Newbie.
The LEd's will be connected in parallel so only about 4v needed to drive them at max brightness.
Input voltage will be 1.5v and it would be nice if the boost circuit could operate down to about .9v

Still looks like your original circuit would do the job. You are right there are many other manufacturers that have solutions but yours above is cheap and simple!!

Streak

Well, if you are going that route, you might also try this one, even fewer external parts:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCP1421-D.PDF

But notice it only works to 1.0 V with the rated load. It is worth a try at your lower currents, you may find it will work run the battery lower once started, which is common. Keep in mind, figure 5, sheet 7.

Last edited:

Builder

Newly Enlightened
I've found the most effective 1v booster to be home-brewed:
BootstrapA.jpg

Good regulation to down below 1 volt, and will run until the battery is .3v or less!

*Retired*
Builder said:
I've found the most effective 1v booster to be home-brewed:
BootstrapA.jpg

Good regulation to down below 1 volt, and will run until the battery is .3v or less!

When you say good regulation, say one has a 2AA NiMH/Lithium setup, how many millivolts or millamps does it move from like 1.8Vin to 3Vin?

Do you have core material and core winding details for your dual winding 100uH inductor?

Can you provide details so one could shrink this such that it would fit into a 1AAA Mag Solitare or a 1AAA/1AA Fenix?

Last edited:

Builder

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, adsl is out so I'm stuck on dialup (28.8, when it works) until next week - but you can get more info about my circuits here.

Remember the circuit is best for 1.5v or lower - that's where it shines: 80% efficiency versus the 60% in the latest Maxim appnote!

*Retired*
Okay, well one could take a look at this one I posted back in January 2004:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tps61020.html

About 85% at 150mA off a single fresh cell.

Or, like one of the fellas above was looking for, about 95% eff at 150mA off 2AA, see page 7, figure 3.

Warning, you need to agressively apply proper layout techniques with this chip, and watch the startup into a load current. This can easily be fixed with a tiny mosfet and the LBI/LBO comparator. I put mine into a solitare with a luxeon III back in Jan 2004 or so, it still works great!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try putting a small dab of solder paste on each pad, carefully setting the QFN device down, and using a heat gun to melt the paste. Another option at least. I need to pick up some paste too. I've destroyed too many boards and parts with my fat-tipped soldering iron.

*Retired*
jsr said:
You could try putting a small dab of solder paste on each pad, carefully setting the QFN device down, and using a heat gun to melt the paste. Another option at least. I need to pick up some paste too. I've destroyed too many boards and parts with my fat-tipped soldering iron.

The heatgun trick works great, with a little practice. Over the years, I've replaced hundreds of chips that very same way.

You can also pre-tin the pads on the board and the part.

Another alternative, is a hot plate, with a good thermocouple so you can set the temp.

Kirleh

Newly Enlightened
People, it is necessary Spice Model for EWB 9 microcircuits MAX773CPD (MAX668-669)....... Please help