"Smash my M*Glite"

Navck

Enlightened
I just had a funny idea, as CPFers, we've been how dim M*glites are, and how :green: their beams are. Now we all know how M*G advertises their "powerful focusing beams" :ohgeez:So how about we all have fun in the "lumens per cubic inch" section of this?

Now, here's my personal image. [Warning: Large image]
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4725/destoryingmag6pw.jpg

I took a HDS and ran it at 50% power and put a freshly reloaded alkaline MiniM*G AA next to it. Now this isn't a fair competition! The MiniM*g is "much bigger" in volume than the HDS, so I think we need a U2 owner or a L4 owner to step into this.

Examples:
Fenix L0P/Arc AAA vs Solitaire
Peak Pacific 2xAAA vs MiniM*g 2AAA
Fenix L2P/HDS/U2/L4/L2/etc vs MiniM*g 2AA
Elektrolumens/Hotwire mods/Mini-HIDs vs M*G 2-6C/D

You can see its pretty simple. Find a light with a similar form factor to "x" M*g, as well as similar volume. Turn both lights on, take a picture, upload to a site like Photobucket or Imageshack, and show to CPF (In this topic of course!)

Last edited:

xdanx

Enlightened
OK, This will top everything! MagLite 3D versus SureFire M6!

I installed new batteries in each and compared, Enjoy!

The Mag is on the Right in both pictures

Mag_m6_size.jpg

Notice how the Mag 3D is bigger in size

Mag_M6.jpg

Last edited:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I sort of have the opposite type of comparison. I have my Pierce M11 vs. my Mag 6D.

Here is a side by side pic of them:
6dvm10comp.jpg

WOW, there is an amazing size difference.

And the beam shots(6D on left):
m10v6dbeam.jpg

The M10 looks very blue in that shot, in real life it is much whiter, I am not sure why that happened in the beams hot, I was doing this rather quickly. So I wasn't checking all of the settings on the camera, but you get the idea.

Next up is my Mag11 by Skillet vs. my Mag 6D.
Here is the size comparison pic:
6dvm11comp.jpg

Then the beam shot:
6dvm11.jpg

I tried to use the focusing feature to make the Mag beam the same width as the beam on the other lights. Enjoy!

xdanx

Enlightened
Maglite's beam quality SUCKS!

Now, The Mag 3D (3 d cells) Versus Fenix L1P (1 AA)

(MagLite is on the left in both pictures)

Mag_L1P_size.jpg

Mag_L1P.jpg

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Somebody should try it against an Orb Raw. That would be funny. A little later after I finish the sandwich I am working on now I will take a pic of the solitaire vs. my Arc AAA-P.

Bradlee

Enlightened
:popcorn:This is a funny thread! I was just comparing my U2 and 3-D mag, both measuring 3.87V- the difference in output is just shameful on the Mag's part. I'll see if I can get a pic.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
But whom among US runs a stock M*g? At the very least in a 3D or bigger, either an extra C cell or a one cell lesser bulb. Also some Writeright or Frosting makes a better beam.

Still, it is good fun to make stock M*gs look sick!

Navck

Enlightened
Well, this thread helps us justify our "expensive" purchases from the average Joe, who is often seen asking "why don't you just buy a M*g instead, it's cheap" :thumbsdow

RoyJ

Enlightened
At $30 - $40 for a 3D, even Mags are considered "prestige" as far as flashlights go up here. I don't even know a single person who owns a Mag, all my buddies carry cheap plastics.

So often the question is not even "why not just buy a Mag instead", but "why waste money on a Mag when you can get a 6V lantern for $4.99 at Walmart?"

Delvance

Enlightened
Well i don't have many M@glites lying around so i converted my 2D one back to stock, and compared it to my 3D ROP LE/large and RS623 ;)

Left to right - RS623 ~3200 output lumens, ROP LE/large ~820 output lumens, :hahaha: Stock 2D M@glite.
Fun1.JPG

ROP and 2D
Fun2ROP.JPG

RS623 120W+ and 2D...2D you can barely see on the right side of the photo.
Fun3RS623.JPG

Last edited:

xdanx

Enlightened
Navck said:
Well, this thread helps us justify our "expensive" purchases from the average Joe, who is often seen asking "why don't you just buy a M*g instead, it's cheap" :thumbsdow

The Fenix L1P is $10-15 more than the maglite.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I've upgraded my various Maglites in the last couple of years, but I keep it in mind that all of our current bright lights and their runtimes might also be laughable 20 years from now. Makes you wonder who will still be in the light business in the future as Maglite has survived this long.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to same size, my MonsterMag 1 cruses the stock 3D Mag to tiny bits.

fielddiff.png

The stock 3D Mag is on the left side. You can see a tiny little yellow spot of you look closely. The other flashlight is a modded 3D Mag with a regulated 45 W IRC MR16, overdriven to about 15.5 V.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Minimoder,
What reflector does your Mag11 use?

Delevance,
What reflector does your ROP use?

hmm... these questions look awfully similar... :thinking: