Not too impressed with the Fenix L1P

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
After all the rave reviews of the Fenix I did finally order one.

I received it in the mail and have been using it regularly. Although the price is nice for a LuxI, I'm sort of underwhelmed by the light.

I'm guessing that I spoiled my Fenix experience by carrying a Lioncub and an Orb Raw as EDC's. Both of them put out sooooo much more useful light. The LC gets regular work duty and then gets put on low to be used as a nightlight. The rechargables for both lights make for guilt free lumens in small packages. The multilevel lights make them useful in a large number of situations.

The Fenix is okay, but it was way overhyped. It's a simple LuxI light that runs on AA's, nothing more to be excited about.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Well the other lights you mentioned would certainly spoil you. I love my Fenix, but it was my first light. I've got 4 inovas, 1 dorcy, and a L4 coming though. Maybe I won't be impressed withit after a while, but I really like it right now.

drizzle

Enlightened
I think people rave about it for the same reason they rave about the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA. They are both good at what they do at a reasonable price. Neither one is a "great" light nor is it intended to be.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeDfLaShEr wrote: "The Fenix is okay, but it was way overhyped. It's a simple LuxI light that runs on AA's, nothing more to be excited about."

The mere fact that some consider the Fenix L1(P) over-hyped -
is actually evidence that there are LOTS of people who like it a LOT.

There is a lot of over-expectation - one has to bear in mind that this is only a LuxI light at typical LuxI performance - but the fact that it does run on a single ordinary alkaline AA is what makes it so popular.

However, I really do understand - please take a look at this thread -

Fenix L1(P) a counter-point

with lots of CPF input counter, and counter-counter points :D

there is a current one week Easter Sale on the Fenix L1P for just over $30 - this kind of price will help put things into perspective.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I have an Fenix l2p I think its great,but when you put it head to head with a lion cub or orb,outside ,there is no way it can keep up. Still a great light. It dosent get hot and it runs for 4 hours! I had it out tonight with the lion cub,I never realized how much dimmer it is outside. Thats the roblem when you start getting nice and nicer lights!

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
Darkaway said:
That's EXACTLY what excited me about the Fenix and made it unique.

The funny thing is that the main reason many people list for buying the Fenix is that it runs on AA's, but then I see that the CR123 and CR2 battery tubes appear to be selling like hotcakes. Doesn't make much sense (doesn't mean I won't buy them eventually though :) )

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta judge it on its own merits. It runs on a single AA, it will suck it dry like a vampire, and will probably run overnight continuously and still provide decent light for the next night. It's a great utility and emergency light. AA's are extremely abundant and cheap while 123's are not so abundant and cheap if you had to get some in an emergency. It is not as bright as some other lights but what other *comparable* lights (and don't compare it to Surefires, McGizmo lights, or other custom lights--let's be fair) are there that run on a single AA?

2dim

Enlightened
It's a flashlight for the masses, far better than countless assorted cheapos...
perhaps not quite up to our super-elite CPF standards, eh?

[insert somewhat sarcastic chuckle here]

My L1P is small/light and versatile enough to provide EDC back-up, which it does very admirably.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability to use different cells is attractive in itself:grin2:
C
LeDfLaShEr said:
The funny thing is that the main reason many people list for buying the Fenix is that it runs on AA's, but then I see that the CR123 and CR2 battery tubes appear to be selling like hotcakes. Doesn't make much sense (doesn't mean I won't buy them eventually though :) )

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeDfLaShEr said:
I'm guessing that I spoiled my Fenix experience by carrying a Lioncub and an Orb Raw as EDC's.....

The Fenix is okay, but it was way overhyped. It's a simple LuxI light that runs on AA's, nothing more to be excited about.

Hmm. Want more power? I can crank it up for you. Hehehe. My Rev B. MM 2.1 watt driver really puts it out. Of course you have to use NIMH cells though because they are the only 1 volt range cells that can offer enough current. I have yet to have anyone tell me they aren't impressed with my mods. :)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeDfLaShEr wrote: "The funny thing is that the main reason many people list for buying the Fenix is that it runs on AA's, but then I see that the CR123 and CR2 battery tubes appear to be selling like hotcakes."

I think the CR123 and CR2 tubes are meant for the L2(P) -
as the L1(P) cannot take 3V - it probably will seriously damage the light.

Although the CR123 and CR2 tubes will physically fit the L1(P).

Note: I've read reports that the L2(P) head will fit the L1 body and will work with just a single AA.

I think the L2 head on a L1 body makes a better and more versatile light........
Perhaps Fenix can release this version to help it face some of its competition....

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I've got both (2 * X0s in fact - 1 has a tighter hotspot than the other).
I have to say that I'm taking the L1P out now rather than the X0 - you don't have to think about making a space for it. It will even fit in that funny little pocket on the right hand side of jeans.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
As others have stated, the main appeal for me is that the L1P uses a common AA battery.

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
MillerMods said:
Hmm. Want more power? I can crank it up for you. Hehehe. My Rev B. MM 2.1 watt driver really puts it out. Of course you have to use NIMH cells though because they are the only 1 volt range cells that can offer enough current. I have yet to have anyone tell me they aren't impressed with my mods. :)

Exactly! Eric can boost the output to up against the higher price ticket gang. It's on my belt 16 hrs a day. With sanyo 2700 mah Nimh 1 cell. It's doing just great. Balance with the throw and spread.

This is a good light for EDC, since it's not hurting too much if it drop to the ground.
Just buy one more anytime you like!

I will not risk to carry some higher price lights...
:)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember at the last Photon Fest I was at, shortly after the Fenix first came out, someone pulled out a Surefire E1L and was raving about it. I pulled out a Fenix, a light smaller in all dimensions and running on a cell with half the voltage, and surprisingly, the Fenix held its own. I mean seriously- the E1L was *barely* and not noticably brighter.

Before the Fenix, there really wasn't anything like it at its pricepoint. This is the reason for the "hype" and I think it is easy to take it for granted.

Try the 2 stage mod on your Fenix and see if you don't find it MUCH more useful and versatile.

While the Fenix started the current trend of single AA luxeon lights, that doesn't mean there isn't great room for improvement. Presently, the Jet-1 by Jetbeam has the potential to offer a sort of "souped up" Fenix with a better emitter, better finish, better battery options and eventually a stock 2 stage option, while keeping the price from getting out of hand. Price aside, just think about what Surefire (pocket rocket) or even HDS could eventually come up with.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
For the serious flashaholic who just wants more lumens, the Fenix may not be that impressive when stacked against more expensive competition. It is however, a great small form factor light that won't burn a hole in anyone's wallet, if they buy in moderation that is. I use the L1P at work, which is mostly indoors, and the 1xAA size is perfect to EDC with business casual clothing while still providing excellent output and runtime. I have to admit though, that I'm not dedicated enough to deal with the frequent changing of rechargeables, so I only carry it with alkalines.

KuoH

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. It seems that the NiMH batteries can provide a bit more run time than the alkalines on this light.

2. Insofar as changing batteries is concerned, wouldn't you change the NiMH the same way as you would an alkaline? :)

And since this light only uses one battery, you could charge up 1, 2, or 4 batteries at a time and then change them out as needed if you use up the batteries freqently enough.

On the other side of the argument though, if you only use up one alkaline battery every week or two, the $20 or so that you might spend for a charger and 4 NiMH batteries would buy you two of the 40/48 packs of AA batteries from Costco, and for many of us, the light may actually get lost or something before it goes through 80 battery changes.

KuoH said:
I have to admit though, that I'm not dedicated enough to deal with the frequent changing of rechargeables, so I only carry it with alkalines.

KuoH

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
My use consists mostly of a few 15-30 second activations per day, if that much, so a standard alkaline can last for a month or more before dropping to a level where I need to change it. The NIMH batteries I have, cheapie 2200's, will self discharge a good deal of their capacity well before an alkaline in that type of situation. If I needed long continuous runtimes on a regular basis, then I would probably go the rechargeable route.

I also have enough stuff with/on me when I go on service calls, that I'd prefer not to have to keep track of several rechargeables and which ones are charged or discharged. With alkalines, I can keep a spare and know that it will be full and ready to use when needed.

The costs of rechargeables and the associated chargers are not of great concern to me really. What is important is that it works, and works well when I need it to.

KuoH

Brighteyez said:
1. It seems that the NiMH batteries can provide a bit more run time than the alkalines on this light.

2. Insofar as changing batteries is concerned, wouldn't you change the NiMH the same way as you would an alkaline? :)

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
What impressed me the most about the Fenix L1P is it's size, output and the fact that it runs on a single AA battery. It meets and/or exceeds the output of several 1 watt flashlights that run on CR123's or even AA batteries. That's pretty impressive for a tiny flashlight that runs on a single AA battery. Add to that the type III HA coating, lanyard, sheath, spare o-rings/tailcap boot and you have alot of flashlight for the money, in my opinion.