Streamlight PP 4aa Lux "mod"?

pbs357

Enlightened
Does anyone know if extra lamp reflectors are available for the SL PP? I really would like to have a bright, small/handheld LED flood style light and was thinking of sputtering the reflector. Of course, I've never done it so I don't want to be S.O.L. if I botch the job!

If you guys have suggestions on a bright LED with 2hr+ runtime, less than $100US (suitable for outdoor use - think camping + nighttime + "what the F* was that?" type of situation) please let me know.

Thanks!

CLHC

Flashaholic
"Extra lamp reflectors. . .for the SL PP?" I believe it's one-piece, unless you buy another complete light.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I remember seeing the lamp assemblies (everything except the body and the black part with the lens) on brightguy.com, but they're not there anymore.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not buy the 7 LED version of this light? It has one of the nicest floods you could ask for. Alternatively, you could cover the lens of your light with one of the many types of (removeable) matte materials available, such as Writeright (Sp.?).

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:
Alternatively, you could cover the lens of your light with one of the many types of (removeable) matte materials available, such as Writeright (Sp.?).

That's what I was going to suggest- WriteRight works pretty good and is reversible. I had a thread here several months ago.

Believe it or not, Circuit City still has some of the WriteRight I linked to in one of my posts on that thread available here. It has been didcontinued for a long time, but they must have stockpiled the stuff- lucky for us.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with Nikon. Though it wouldn't be feasible to just get the lamp module and the bezel (it's shorter than the one for the Luxeon) as they cost as much as another light. Best be would be to just get a 4AA Propoly 7LED and use the lamp module and the bezel with your current one, and keep the body as an extra, or just have two separate lights; each with an individual purpose. The lamp module on the Luxeon is prefocused so whatever you do to it will probably still have a pretty focused spot.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to glue a diffusing lens to the inside of the lens assembly. A convex/flat lens on the inside might be a good diffuser. I don't know where you get a piece of plastic like that, maybe tap? It's basically a thin slice off a sphere or other spheroid.