I'm not sure I like my Inova XO

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I bought my Inova XO a couple of weeks ago at Fry's when I saw it for 29.99. At first I thought it was a nice light, it being my first LED light. It got good reviews and everyone seems to rate it highly. after getting my Fenix 1LP this week I'm not so sure the Inova is all that great. It seems that for the size it would be brighter or have a longer runtime. 4 hours is nice but the little Fenix is so small and almost as much light comes out of that little light I'm thinking of returning the Inova and spending my money on something else. Am I missing something with this light? Maybe I don't appreciate it for what it is. Tell me again why I should keep it.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends upon what you want, I prefer to give up some of the all important (to some) brightness for EDC, for extended runtime. To me the INova puts out enough light to do the job well, if I want or need brighter, I will go up to a larger light like the X0 or X03. The Fenix to me is a light I would not bother with, it has too short a run time but others love it.
Its all about preferences and what you are willing to trade off. I get a bit more than 4 hours btw it is closer to 8 to 50% and longer after that. Whereas I do not have th eFenix but Flashlight reviews gives it 1 hour to 50% and another 1 hour to 25% which to me in a light I might need to rely upon to get my butt out of something is unacceptable.

Once again, all preferences.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts Lee. I do like the light I just compare the two lights and wonder why the Inova for it's size either doesn't have more light, or a really long runtime. The Fenix is nice for the fact that it is a cheap battery user and really does put out an amazing amount of light. I guess the cost of the Inova is a factor also. It is a good balance of light, runtime and cost I suppose. I think my main objection, now that I think about it, is just the size and weight of it. It seems like it should be smaller and lighter for the given amount of light and the fact that it uses 2 CR123 batteries.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like my Inova X5 for the same reason I'd recommend you reconsider returning the XO -- after an incandescent light (like your E2e) is done with its 123 batteries, the X5, or in your case, the XO, can still run happily on said "used" batteries for awhile longer.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Allnew, I read X1 not X0. I still like the X0 though it is very different than your Fenix though, it has a lot longer throw than the Fenix, the two are hard to compare, they are for different purposes a thrower vs a floodie. I would compare the X1 or X5 more to the Fenix's personally if you are talking INovas.

Last edited:

steve_vance

Enlightened
FYI I love my XOs; I've got about 8 of them. And I own almost every production LED light there is, including every model of Inova, Pelican, Streamlight, Nuwai, Dorcy, River Rock, Osram, Futai, Peak, etc
IMHO the XO is an excellent combination of runtime and brightness (and mine ARE bright, about the same or better brightness than a 2-D Mag lite and almost as bright as some of my 3-watt lights). Check Quickbeam's reviews on the XO and the Fenix L1P and L2P, they are radically different. XO has 33% more than double the runtime of the L2P, and for the L1P the runtime graphs look radically different: the L1P loses brightness almost instantly and the curve goes downhill from there; the XO delivers a good 4+ hours of virtually unchanged brightness.
Also, IMO the XO has much more "usable" beam,; the Fenix is characterized by a fairly tight central spot.
That having been said, you can't go wrong with either light. And the XO is a little bit large & heavy. You might want to look at the Inova T1; it's the same price as an L1P, has better runtime and IMO a better beam.
If you're going to compare Inova XO @29.99 to Fenix (either model, but size-wise L2P is the fair comparison) @$46.50, IMO the XO is a better value.
FYI: the XO in its current form is now or will shortly be discontinued, maybe that's the reason for the good price. The new XO is shaped like the T3 but smaller, and uses a reflector rather than TIROS. I received one of thoseabout 3 weeks ago; it's a nice light.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Other than the size and weight, it is a nice light and it does have a long runtime. I actually find the pattern of the 1LP to be more usable in the short to medium ranges because it has a nice spill beam that allows peripheral vision whereas the XO, mine at least, has almost none. Not even considering cost, I was surprised and the two lights output and the dramatic difference in size. I think that buying one light of any type is an imrovement over all the bad lights I have had in the past, but after buying several good lights I am starting to see what I like and don't about them all. They really are all amazing. They all do have specific strengths that are not often noted in manufacturers literature and many are a surprise to me, even after reading about them here and on other sites. Nothing is usually said about the beam pattern other than wide or narrow and even that varies depending upon reflector depth, width, and finish. They all have distinct personalities. I'm starting to see trends and patterns with them though. I think I will keep the XO just to have a long runtime, longer throw LED. Thanks for all the suggestions.