best gps for my dad

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my dad wants to by a gps .he dont know anything about gps he wants it for driveing and directions and needs it to be portable and go from car to car.i think he said he wants it to play mp3 to but i aint sure why he would want that. so whast the best one for a person in his 60,s who aint to mechancaly inclined?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,

Go here for all GPS all the time (information):

GSP Information

Several questions to ask... Price range, what type of usage (driving, hiking, both). And to connect with/use a computer for trip planing and such...

A couple to look at:

NUVI 350 (recommended to elder woman--loves it--car only, no maps for computer, supports MP3--most expensive)

Street Pilot 2720
(full size unit--car only, with maps for computer)

GPS 60C(x)x (hand-held protable--hike/car--no voice--maps for computer) The 60Cx and 60Csx is a new design with extra memory card and VERY Sensitive GPS receiver)

GPS 76(x)x
(about the same as 60C(x)x but slightly larger to float--buttons in different location)

The above are a good place to start and see what interests your Dad (for car navigation)... There are other brands (like Magellan, Lowrance) that also may have units that may be better for your Dad's particular requirments.

Like most things, much of the software for a computer is for Windows (some others are available--look before buying). Also, look at the maps that you are interested in... Each brand supports only its own maps.

Good luck.
-Bill

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ty for info.he will never hike im sure.but he did say he wants voice.

jezzyp

Enlightened
I have a Garmin C320 and would recommend it. This is my second garmin (I have a 12XL).
I have has good service from Garmin in the UK even out of warranty.

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
Raggie33
What your Dad wants specifically (and he's going to LOVE!!!! it when he gets one) is what's generically referred to as an "Auto Nav" [meaning: an automobile navigation G.P.S. unit]. Don't confuse these with the frustrating to learn, unsatisfying to most, hand held models. Head and shoulders above all other models (and for good reason in my opinion) the Garmin C330 ('C' standing for 'Color') will outsell all others in 2006. I opted for the 'nuvi' becuase I wanted it to say the name of the street to turn on along with how far and when to turn (like the C330) but it's very unnecessary for most and the C330 will do 95% what the nuvi will.
Auto Nav units are just a killer "toy" and, to the person, everyone I know that's bought one LOVES it *S*. They say in 4 years 2/3rds of all cars on the road will have one in them! The beauty part of the portable ones is they move car to car, you can still walk with them, and they don't sell with your car.
They're the hottest item in my Store hands down.
- Russ