L7

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! Watch your wallet.

First off, it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Secondly, it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the L5, but my L7 is a good light. It has a NiCad battery called the B90. It comes with two batteries and a charger with connections for the car and one for a regular AC plug. If you buy the L5, you won't have a rechargeable option unless you buy a charger, batteries and such from a 2nd source (that is if there is a rechargeable option for it..I am not sure of that..but I am sure someone can chime in). The L7 weighs more and is longer than the L5. L5 is clickie tail cap....L7 is twistie.

I use the L7 around and ouside the house every night. It is very bright. But is half the size of, and many times brighter than my old D-cell and C-cell M*g lites that now sit in my closet unused.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly would like it for Spoting. I was looking at the L6 which looks like a Great Light but is it for Spoting or Flood? Even though i want a spoting l.e.d light some sidespill would be great

Protaeus

Enlightened
Do you specifically need the rechargeable option?

Oh, and for an LED with good spotting capabilities, a I've heard that the gladius has quite good throw.

You may want to look at www.flashlightreviews.com
Its run by a CPF member here, quickbeam.

It has reviews and graphs on throw and light output which will be a good start for you. :)

The cheaper option would be a surefire E2L - decent throw and cheap.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
By spotting, do you mean for distances over 150'? If so, you may want to consider a non-LED based light. Incandescent lights will throw better than LED's in their current iterations.

If you were to buy one light, I would certainly recommend the L7 over the Gladius because the output of the Surefire L-series lights (Except for the L1) is considerably greater than the Gladius.

In a comparison between the L5 and the L7, the output and performance should by very similar with a slight edge in throw to the L7 (as it appears to be patterned after the L6 which has a deeper and possibly larger diameter bezel). If you don't mind carrying a larger light, the L7 would be a nice choice. It is not as "sexy" as the L5 however.

Happy Easter!

-Goatee

city cop

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights, I prefer the L7. It's my primary light that I carry for duty. I have better throw and a "brighter spill" with my L7. Note ! I think I lost the lottery with my L5 head :rant: Huge Donut, dingy tint. Of coarse I love Donuts, just not at the end of my light beam!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i want something brighter than my Inova T3 and something that will throw farther. I really like the L6 and L5. The L7 is more in my price range and brighter than the L5. Does the L7 have Solid Regulation and overall Long battery Life? Thanks for the Help

city cop

Newly Enlightened
The L7 has very good battery life, I'll guess about one hour or so full power, then tails off. Keep in mind that if you don't plane on using the light often should look for another option. The batteries self drain over time. This is one reason I don't use rechargables in any of my tach type lights, example Gladius. I have the T4 and T3, my L7 is simple better all around, and surefire's charger IMO is much better then my T4's charger. It always seems to be a battle everytime I charge my L4. Hope that helps ya :goodjob:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks i Think im going to go with the Sexy L5. The L7 is a little to big for me. How will the Beam of a T3 compare to a L5. Will the L5 throw Farther?

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Both great lights, L5 has a more usable beam, lots of spill. good throw. T3 has a great spot beam, mabye a tab more through the L5. Both built like tanks! If your looking for a great all purpose light, IMO go L5.

JoshuaFl

Newly Enlightened
My dad has the L7, and I often borrowed it from him. That is until I got the U2 Ultra.

I really like the U2 more, check it out too.