what OS comes after WinXP?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read little tidbits here and there about the next MS OS, but not much lately.

Is there any public knowledge about what it will do beyond XP? When should we expect it to be out?

I'm running 98SE at home and XP at work. I generally prefer 98SE when actually using it, although there are a couple of advantages to XP. Rather than spending the time and money to upgrade my home computer to XP, maybe I should wait for the next best thing.

I've also considered just upgrading my hard drive. I did some searching and it seems that WinXP has a max. partition size of 127GB, but larger hard drives can be installed if the bios will support them. From this I deduce that hard drives larger than 127GB must be partitoned in order to use the full capacity. Am I understanding this correctly?

InfidelCastro

Banned
Large hard drive support came in either Windows XP SP1a or Service Pack 2, I forget which.

I think if you install Windows XP then you install the service packs and then go into disk manager and make the hard drive a logical drive or something and it will see the full capacity. It's been awhile since I done it, so I can't remember for sure, but it's pretty simple.

The next O/S is supposed to be a 64bit one, I forget the name and have no idea when it is slated for release. I haven't kept up with computers as much as I should have lately.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ humor ]

what OS comes after WinXP?

Linux, if you are lucky!

[ / humor ]

My understanding is that DRM (hardware enforced copy protection) presented as a security cure-all is the biggest feature of the next MS OS.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
windows vista

Raggie's got it right.

I think there are supposed to be about five different versions of Vista... some of them aimed at home users and others intended for business users. It's gonna be a little confusing.

Of course there's about 573 different versions of Linux! :)

carrot

Flashaholic
The next Windows OS was code-named Longhorn, but the PR and marketing guys renamed it to "Vista," which is supposed to evoke good, positive feelings... It's not pronounced "vEE-sta" but rather "vi-sta" (I'm not very good at writing things out phonetically.)

Since its original announcement, key features such as WinFS have been dropped from the main build, and will be added in later via updates. Vista will come to business desktops late this year; November is the slated release date for the Enterprise editions, and the consumer versions will come out early 2007.

If I remember correctly, Vista will require at least 256MB of RAM (but I'd recommend at least 1GB, given previous trends), and a video card with 3D acceleration to realize the full potential of the newly revamped Aero interface, and will feature a technology called Avalon, integrated in Microsoft Internet Explorer, which appears to be Microsoft's new web version of ActiveX. Microsoft is also working to integrate the more secure user/permissions paradigm common in *nix systems, and promises better built-in security and malware protection.

Internet Explorer 7, already released in beta versions for Windows XP, will feature tabbed browsing and built-in RSS support. For Firefox, Safari, and Opera users, this is *yawn* old news. Web developers will be pleased to know that the IE team is working to add better CSS support.

Vista will also (finally) feature an updated command line, with Microsoft's newly developed shell, akin to bash or tcsh -- msh, a fully-featured command line shell that promises a bash-like syntax, perhaps even more.

Microsoft will also release a set of new fonts to replace the tired "classics" -- Times New Roman, Courier New, and Verdana, for example.

I'm particularly interested in msh and the fonts.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows X64, But that is still XP

You can download a free trial version from MS

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
98SE is a good refined OS and it works well and performs smoothly for most stuff. It's way better than ME or NT. Remember NT? It's a good OS for many of the early P3 and AMD Athalon systems up to 1 GHz-P3/1.4 GHz-AMD Athalon.

XP, to the 98SE user, is over commanding but can be hobbled to obey.
The much talked about OS to be is called "Vista". The EU is making Bill and his team comply with anti-trust laws in the UK and the UE.

InfidelCastro

Banned
BB said:
Windows Vista Web Site (Marketing Info)

I am waiting for "Internet Explorer 7" experience!

-Bill

I tried IE7, the public beta a couple weeks ago. I am not looking forward to it. All they appeared to do was move the buttons around so that it's harder to do everything and they have the MSN Search bar in the upper right that you can't seem to get rid of. I read a month or so ago that they want to compete with Google. The key word being "compete". This is how Microsoft "competes", they basically force you to use their stuff.

Supposedly IE7 is supposed to "show you more of the website you're looking at", but the exact opposite appears to be the case.

If IE7 ends up being as bad as the version I tried, I may finally make the switch to Firefox.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE 7 Beta 2 was a bust for me too. There's sizzle to that steak but not much flavour!

Sturluson

Enlightened
Vista is supposed to feature many little niceties of Mac OSX - the one that's been out for a couple of years now.

Vista's main claim to fame, I believe, is that it's the most bloated OS ever - around 45 to 50 million lines of code...

Sturluson

Enlightened
I have Mac and PC laptops - I still need Windows for a couple of applications. The next logical choice in a computer is a new Mac with the Intel Core Duo processsor, then partition it and add Windows. I'll be able to use OSX 90% of the time and Windows (grudgingly) for the bare minimum...

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think partitions are a good idea. You don't have to check or defragment the whole drive each time. Fragmentation shouldn't be as significant either.

Multiple partitions are required if you want to install multiple operating systems, and I want to.

I didn't install I.E. 7, but I started to take the tour. The first thing Microsoft did was install Flash version 8. I guess Microsoft will be buying Macromedia shortly :)

Robban

Enlightened
raggie33 said:
i hope this aint what windows realy wants vista i mean if so ill jusat laugh and switch to linux 24/7 or stay with xp
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/07/vista_hardware_reqs/
There's still quite a ways to go before vista comes out. By then those reqs. wont be hard to match. And quite frankly I'm glad that they're moving things forward.

And to all of you who are waiting for IE7. Please give the alternative browsers a chance first. Force yourself to use FireFox (or opera, safari etc) for just one week, I promise you wont be dissapointed. And while doing so you'll help people like myself who try to make things for the web. IE is the single most annoying source of frustration out there with its complete disregard of standards.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robban said:
IE is the single most annoying source of frustration out there with its complete disregard of standards.

You are probably right, but whenever I hear talk of "standards" I wonder who
proclaimed the standards and how these "standards" were arrived at.

As a C++ programmer I've seen some peculiar "standards" proclaimed.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
who wants to guess how many updates will vista need in the first 24 hours:)