Tec 40 DISCONTINUED -on sale for $10

x_trails

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, pretty new to posting in here so this might be the wrong spot for this, but it came to my attention the other day that the princeton tec "tec 40" has been DISCONTINUED. reioutlet.com has them now for $10 apiece, and i would imagine other online stocking retailers will soon follow suit. picked up a few today for birthday and x-mas presents. :)

x_trails

Newly Enlightened
dont know about campmor, but from calling a couple local rei's, they dont have them on the shelf anymore. nice thing about rei.... you can order from rei outlet and have it shipped to an rei store for pickup - for no shipping charge. course, that only helps if you have a store nearby

this has probably been asked somewhere else, but anyone run nimh batteries in a tec 40 or uk4aa? btw, radio shack has their 15 min rechargeable nimh batteries on clearance right now...

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi X_Trails,

I have run 3 tec40s on NiMHs, 2 old style and 1 in the new grip style. Haven't had any problems with NiMHs and Magnum Star Xenon 4 cell bulbs.

I assume that Princeton Tec has not discontinued the tec40, just REI.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that Princeton Tec has changed the body of the Tec 40: it now looks like the Impact XL. This might explain the sale: trying to get rid of old stock.

This concerns me, because I love the reflector in the Tec-40, and hope it doesn't change with the new body...if they are truly changing it.

The Impact XL body is quite nice--it is grippier than the old model, but it is bigger as well.

Bob

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi PedalinBob,

The reflectors in the new model are identical to the reflectors in the old model. I have interchanged the reflectors among my old and new models and did not notice any significant difference, both in terms of their operation with respect to the distribution of light and/or their interaction with switching the lights on and off.

I like the compactness of the older model, but the new model is, probably, structurally superior and would be easier to grip in slippery conditions or underwater. It also has a much better battery compartment.

:devil: The body and battery compartment are identical to that of the Impact XL. In fact, it might make sense for Princeton Tec to sell one body and sell the PR Led bulb as a separate item. When the MAG Led PR "bulbs" come out, I plan to try one in a Tec 40.

I wish that the non-grip section on the new Tec 40 were opaque rather than semi-translucent. It reminds me of a toy squirt gun. It looks like the black model is the only opaque model in this new line. [The new one that I have is red.]

[[MODERATOR: Is it appropriate to request that the title be changed to "TEC 40 discontinued at REI - on sale for $10" if there is no objection.]]

x_trails

Newly Enlightened
Tec 40 Redesigned - discontinued style on sale for $10

Thunderlight is right - I searched Princeton Tec's website before i posted this and didnt see the tec 40 - but it is still there, in its new form. D - oh ! Maybe a better title would be "tec 40 redesigned - discontinued style on sale for $10". will see if i can change the title myself.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a new style PT 40 at Bass Pro Shops. My Original PT 40 with the smooth reflector and plain plastic bezel took a lot of abuse carried loose in my toolkit and travelling on planes for a few years. This rubber covered thing might not take the abuse in quite the same manner. It might show more scuffs and gouges if I decide to abuse it in such manner. It makes a decent housing for the new Nite Ize Led PR lamp. No very tight bright hot spot like with a focusing light.