Inside the RiverRock 1_AA light

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
I just had to take it apart:),I got this light over the weekend,and needless to say,for a 5mm I am impressed,It throws that round beam pretty far,better than any other 5mm light I have had,Maybe I should do some beam shots tonight and compare the RR 2AA to this one.. If I do,I will post them tonight,So here is the circuit..
rraa8rh.jpg

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thge X1 Inova was the worst light ever. Glad they ditched the optic. I actually traded in the X1 fior the T1??? Similar to the X1 only it has a vented headcap and doesnt have that weird optic.

Streak

Enlightened
Hi Russell52.
Thanks for posting this.
We dont get any of the RR products here.
Is the black blob a COB PCB? If so then what function does it provide eg. dimming etc.

Does anyone know who manufactures these lights?

Cheers

Streak

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RR's are versions of some of the Nuwaii lights I believe. At least some of them look the same, have not compared them.

I would have to disagree with Beacon's opinion that the Inova X1 was the worst light ever, I rather like them, always have and found them to be very handy. Just another case of everyone has an opinion...

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
greenlight said:
How about a pic of the outside? I never saw one of these. How does it compare to Inova X1?
Here ya go,My beam shots came out poorly :( So I guess I will try again tomorrow night..
Streak said:
Hi Russell52.
Thanks for posting this.
We dont get any of the RR products here.
Is the black blob a COB PCB? If so then what function does it provide eg. dimming etc.

Does anyone know who manufactures these lights?

Cheers

Streak
The littel black cob is some kinda micro chip,cant think atm,but it controls power on mode,and flash mode.. Press once for on,and again for flash,yet again for off..

So here is the generic mini mag,river rock 2aa 1.5 and the RR single aa 5mm led
img10351tz.jpg

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was considering this since I could use a 1 AA cell light to drain oddball batteries, but for $12.99 it's a bit much. I'd pay maybe $4. The clickies on the River Rocks don't really inspire my confidence either, wonder how long they will actually last. Had a 2C that every once in awhile would not click on with the first click.

It's hard to justify the price, especially when the new version of the Inova X1 with the reflector is sitting right next to it for $19.99.

wwglen

Enlightened
Get the Streamlight 1-AA task light instead.

Brighter than my xnovia's on high (about 1/3-1/2 fenix) and just enough to read by on high (a little less than my fenix on 10 ohms low).

I paid $13 including tax at a local sporting goods store and if I didn't have myFenix L1P this would be my EDC.

wwglen

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
I like the River Rock 2AAA. Much smaller and brighter.
I like mine really well,I cant belive it is as bright as it is for a 5mm led,and throw is pretty darn good on it as well:)

InfidelCastro said:
I was considering this since I could use a 1 AA cell light to drain oddball batteries, but for $12.99 it's a bit much. I'd pay maybe $4. The clickies on the River Rocks don't really inspire my confidence either, wonder how long they will actually last. Had a 2C that every once in awhile would not click on with the first click.

It's hard to justify the price, especially when the new version of the Inova X1 with the reflector is sitting right next to it for $19.99.

This one is worth it I think,I was really surpised by its performance,and they clam 30 hours run time in on mode,and 60 in flash mode,Although that is manufacture claims :p

The switch is not like it is on the other versions,This one has a momentary switch,Not as much mechanics to it as the 2aa and 2 c versions,Almost like a soft on/off switch..

Russ

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have had the 2AAA River Rock for a long time now and love it. I use it at work all the time and everywhere else, I haven't found a light that beats it. It has everything:

Long runtime, decent brightness, good throw, uses 2AAA's, has a pocket clip, has a momentary tailcap and twist on & is only $10. Less when on sale.

Only real downside is the blue tint, but even someone like me that hates cold tinted LEDs can learn to live with it. All the other plus's make the light just way too useful to worry about the tint. It's 100% for sure the most useful light I've ever owned. It's always there clipped to my left pocket and you never know it's there until you need it. And then you have instant light.

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I have had the 2AAA River Rock for a long time now and love it. I use it at work all the time and everywhere else, I haven't found a light that beats it. It has everything:

Long runtime, decent brightness, good throw, uses 2AAA's, has a pocket clip, has a momentary tailcap and twist on & is only $10. Less when on sale.

Only real downside is the blue tint, but even someone like me that hates cold tinted LEDs can learn to live with it. All the other plus's make the light just way too useful to worry about the tint. It's 100% for sure the most useful light I've ever owned. It's always there clipped to my left pocket and you never know it's there until you need it. And then you have instant light.
I also have the RR 2aaa and the nuwai 1aaa,I like them both alot :D But I needed something that would take rechargable aa's as I have plenty of them,Guess I could have just gotten some rechargable aaa's but,then I wouldnt have a new light either ;)

I had to put a push on clickie switch in the tail cap of my RR_AAA version though :) Simple mod that was..

Russ

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Russell52 said:
I also have the RR 2aaa and the nuwai 1aaa,I like them both alot :D But I needed something that would take rechargable aa's as I have plenty of them,Guess I could have just gotten some rechargable aaa's but,then I wouldnt have a new light either ;)

I had to put a push on clickie switch in the tail cap of my RR_AAA version though :) Simple mod that was..

Russ

Which switch did you use? Simple eh? Please do tell more.

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Which switch did you use? Simple eh? Please do tell more.
Sorry Infidel,I meant to post pictures the night you asked,but it slipped my mind,then another thread reminded me:p So here you are :) Just a little switch I gutted from somthing,But radio shack sells then as well...

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
I would have to disagree with Beacon's opinion that the Inova X1 was the worst light ever, I rather like them, always have and found them to be very handy. Just another case of everyone has an opinion...

Lee try using an X1 (old style with the optic) as a bike light with no street lighting. You're in for one dangerous ride... So tight of a spot there is no ambient lighting it's almost as bad as riding in complete darkness. You can't see if there is a curb in from of you or any sort of pothole. I can take my cheap Ghost II chinese light and have a blast as that lights up a good portion of the street in front of me for a good 12-15 feet.

No I didn't buy this for a bike light specifically it just so happened to be the light I had with me when a friend wanted a spontaneous late night bike ride.