Audio pop and click removal

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I know there are some audio gurus here, so I have a question. Can you recommend a good (and reasonably priced) audio pop/click removal tool? I have an audio track that was recorded with an electret condenser mic that went south and the track is filled with huge pops and clicks. I've tried Cool Edit 2k and one or two freebie apps with no success.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long is the audio track and how many pops and clicks are there? I've used several decent programs in the past, but usually if you set the filter to be too powerful, it can drastically effect the quality of the recording. It can be very time consuming, but if quality is a big concern and the recording isn't too long, I remove the clicks and pops manually with a program like Goldwave or Cool Edit. Doing it manually can ensure that you only take out the pop or click and don't effect the rest of the recording (unless the noise is too long). Sometimes I'll do a little of both and remove the worst pops and clicks by hand and use a program to get the rest.

-Keith

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I got is a 25 year old analog SAE "Impulse Noise Reduction System" with a single sliding switch...works well on noise that sounds like vinyl record scratches and dirt... that helped a lot didn't it... :p

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have Nero Burning Rom around, try the Nero Wave Editor.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for all of the input guys! :thanks:

After several experiments I wound up using Goldwave. The original audio
was pretty bad so I was only able to improve it by a modest amount, and
Goldwave did the best job of reducing the pops and clicks without munging the
underlying audio too badly.

I'm still going to loook into this further so I'll have some good tools lined up
for the next time that I wind up in a pickle like that.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
i recall records

I still have a fair amount of vinyl records in the basement. One of these days I'm gonna convert them to CDs, especially since some of them aren't available anymore.

Yes, there's some Barry Manilow in that collection... :whistle: :)

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like barry i like ssuch a wide vvarity of music from jazz to deat h metal to blues to etc etc even 50 and 60s rock aand some folk ddont like rap or country though.when i was a kid i had a records but i could enevr afoprd the darn needles some reason i was rough on em

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I remember when they were called "needles" and not a "stylus." My original phonograph that played 78s and 45s used a replaceable needle that looked like a short sewing needle. Those things were REALLY rough on the records!

I also remember that if I dropped a '78 it would shatter into a million pieces. This had something to do with why I had a lot more 45s than 78s.
:eek:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeeep i bet that was high tech then and cost more then are mp3 players cost now.the player im looking at is 80 bucks and stores 1 gig intteranly and has a sd slot

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and some day soon id guess we would have players the size of a thumb drive with around 2200 hours tunes and no moveing parts i love technaolgy i read aaaabout it everyday to see whats new and comeing out used to read pop science and pop mechanics