I need help with paypal/ebay.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been selling stuff on ebay and decided to upgrade to premium service so I can accept winning bids which come thru CC. I sort of had to do it because I was losing sales. Damn.

Now I have a secondary account that is not a premium acct. I'd like to use that account when possible to avoid paypal fees.

If I indicate such, will Ebay yank my listing in violation of Ebay policy?
They already don't like it if you request NO credit card payments at all.

OK?

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I went to a paypal premium account for the same reason. I wouldn't worry about it. I see so many auctions that violate ebay policy in one way or another that never get pulled. Stuff like "I reserve the right to end the auction if I'm not satisfied with the bidding", which is a no no and others who don't take CC payments. Go for it.

Dave

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would still be a violation (Saying you want CC payments to go to one address and non-CC to another)...these people have nothing better to do than look for auctions like this, report them to eBay, and get them yanked. If you want a laugh, go look at the posts there. They are absolutely rabid. Some people ask the same thing as your question there and they get just completely shredded there.

JM-99

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would suggest you "set a reserve" that makes you happy and leave it at that. No rules broken as far as I know. You can also set a Minimum bid instead of a "reserve" if you want without breaking the rules best I know.
I have never sold anything there but I buy stuff often and have several times been the highest bidder but did not "meet the reserve price" on an item.
Topper :)

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..
I've been sellin' on eBay for around 2 years, and i don't recall seeing it in any books or rules that it is not allowed. Plus.... I juz checked up on all the Paypal topics in my "Ebay power seller secrets" handbook, and there is no rule about that.

Thus, i believe it can be done! Go forth! :)
Put up 2 accounts, 1 for Cash paypal, 1 for CC paypal.

Just an additional titbit, if your monthly transactions exceeds $3,000, apply for the merchant rate, as that would substantially reduce your paypal fees, which means more profit$!

hope that helps somehow..

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
vaism said:
I've been sellin' on eBay for around 2 years...

I've been buying and selling on eBay for over seven years, but who's counting?

Put up 2 accounts, 1 for Cash paypal, 1 for CC paypal.

This is completely and totally against the rule about splitting payments. Your book was probably published before they put the rule into effect? I don't know...the splitting payments rule has been around for some time.

The new rule about having to accept all forms of PayPal (forcing people with personal accounts to upgrade) came out sometime last year.

I will go look it up and post a link here, since you seem to think I am making this up.

Just found this:
To view the new policy log into Paypal and search for Sending Payments...it should bring you to the right page. Here is a specific quote from that policy:

"PayPal account holders may not deceive buyers as to the nature of their account. That is, if you advertise on a listing that you accept credit card payments through PayPal, you must have a Premier or Business PayPal account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal account to a Premier or Business PayPal account when you receive your first credit card-funded payment.

PayPal account holders may not split payments between a Personal PayPal account and a Premier or Business PayPal account by directing buyers paying with credit card to pay their Premier or Business account and buyers paying with PayPal balance or bank account to pay their Personal account. Any business payments that are split and made to a Personal account will be subject to fees applicable to a Business or Premier account. Personal accounts are for personal use only. If you would like to do business through your PayPal account, you must use a Premier or Business account. "

Emphasis mine. Here is where I found this...
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=2000107206&start=0

The ones whose headers are pink in color are actual eBay/PayPal employees...they state the same thing I did above on page 1 of that thread.

JM-99

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
By doing business I guess they mean selling stuff on ebay. I only sell a few items, when I'm done, I'm done. It is a convenient system, but a little heavy handed. I had a few auctions yanked already.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes..."doing business" means selling on eBay to eBay/PayPal, regardless of the volume.

You're right. It is VERY heavy-handed, especially lately. I don't sell much on there anymore because of things like this. And it is sad that the people in the discussion board on eBay just go out looking for things like this to report...

JM-99

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..
1st.
greenlight, i am sorry for nearly causing you possible grief and problems with my wrong information. I had genuinely intended to help here, but made a bad assumption that a single reference would provide sufficient basis for that statement. My bad, i apologise.

2nd.

Jumpmaster, i was truly appalled by your sacastic reply. :confused:

"I've been buying and selling on eBay for over seven years, but who's counting?"

It was never in my intention to boast or feel proud of my measly record of 2years. It was rather, a declaration to back my statement, at least where for the past 2 years that i have been active on eBay, i have never encountered this rule.

Nevertheless, i did some introspection, and re-reading of posts prior to mine, that could cause such a backlash. So there it was. I had skimmed across most of the replies. Although i managed to glance at yours, i did not pause to comprehend what you were saying especially from this sentence onwards: "..these people have nothing better ..." - which i found rather confusing.

Hence, i gave my reply as such, with no intention at all to discredit your claim. So, no it's not that i do not believe you. It's that i totally missed what you were saying.
Thank you for sharing this information with us. I appreciate being proven wrong and learning more in the process. :sssh:

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry if it came across that way. The way I read it, I had just stated that you couldn't do that. Then you posted that you can...so it appeared as if you all thought I was making these things up.

Again, my apologies. I took your post the wrong way, but I understand now that I wasn't clear before...I think. Maybe? :shrug:

Anyway, take care...

JM-99

Latest posts