Indexing ALL flashlights mentioned on CPF

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading Posts on CPF for nearly three weeks, and I am no closer to determining my next flashlight purchase, there are just too many....

What we need gents is an indexed database of ALL flashlights indexed by search criteria such as length, body material, lamp type, Luxeon Variety, lamp output (lumens, C.P.), Battery Type, ect, ect......

I believe this would be extremely helpful for our new guys, (like me) and even the expert folks to do research.

Now I would be happy to do most of the grunt work if the moderators would decide how they would like this data to be presented. All I would require would be someone, (or everyone) to send me their flashlight data.

I would be happy to compile this list and even post it on a web server if need be, although I don't think the data would be that great to warant another server.

This data could be in the form of a web page or adobe download or even WIKI, although I don't know about how the WIKI site is accessed yet without really taking a look.

I could look in to writing a javascript page if need be. My estimate of the number of flashlights seem to be around 300 to 400 or so that have been mentioned on the forums, of course the number may continue to grow, so there may be a small amout of maintainance for some really old entrys.

Well, anyway, I think it's a great idea.....Now its up to you, the readers.

Thanks for your time.....

Let me know what you think.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think it would be an incredible pain in the butt to create and maintain such a database, but it could be useful. What's missing is that it is difficult to compare lumen and CP ratings between manufacturers and there are very few here who have an integrating sphere to measure lumens. And there is no way of describing beam profile except comparatively to another light. Not to mention such a table or database would probably leave out the little nuances of each light, or in the very least, be inconsistent.

But, if you could overcome the above, I think it could be a worthwhile pursuit.

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I did not mean this to be a flashlight review, we have excellent people doing that.. What I propose is strictly listing the published specs, in searchable catagories. I do not believe we can make all things equal anyway. It is just a database. Nothing more, nothing less. (Pictures might be nice though).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight_reviews (Quickbeam here) is working on a database concept he previewed a while back. When it is finished it looks like it would be something that would do what you are thinking, along with having a ready review of each available.

Topper

Flashaholic*
dta116 said:
I did not mean this to be a flashlight review, we have excellent people doing that.. What I propose is strictly listing the published specs, in searchable catagories. I do not believe we can make all things equal anyway. It is just a database. Nothing more, nothing less. (Pictures might be nice though).

Yes I understand, I was just thinking He had specs listed. I might be wrong as I have not visited his site lately (I is broke) so I try not to look.
SF lights would be easy for you. The Surefire website has a list with specs and drawings. I printed one and had it on a wall till the wife put her pretty little foot down. She gave me an option and I chose to take it down :sssh: :whistle:
Topper

dta116

Newly Enlightened
There are some specs on Flashlightreviews.com, but not all, and not all lights have been reviewed. Also this is not a searchable database, in other words, we need to be able to catagorize lights by criteria.

In other words....If I am looking for all lights that are 7 inches long, and have LED's, and use CR123A's I would be able to list only those lights.

Maybe I am the only one that sees this as useful.

metalhed

Enlightened
I have considered doing this on my site.

I agree that a searchable database of production flashlights would be a great addition to our resources. It would be a lot of work to set up, but wouldn't be that hard to maintain.

The reason I say 'production flashlights' is that, IMHO, few consumers actually 'shop' for a designer, small-run or custom light. Those buyers are usually more involved with the builder's design and creative process, and don't really have a need to compare their item to production lights. Besides, it would be difficult to acquire solid data on all these lights, anyway.

I believe the average buyer would probably appreciate the ability to generate a list of possible lights to fill a particular lighting need, and then search for the reviews and community opinion about those particular lights.

If no one picks up the ball on this by summer, I may do it. But definitely not until after I move...:hairpull:

dta116

Newly Enlightened
metalhed said:
If no one picks up the ball on this by summer, I may do it. But definitely not until after I move...:hairpull:

Like I said, I would like to see this done, one way or another. If you would rather do this your self that's ok with me, as long as it gets done. If you would like some help, I am available.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The problem with this sort of database is that you potentially end up with an incredible number of fields...
  • Name(s)
  • Manufacturer
  • Part number, stock number, SKU, UPC, etc
  • Light source
  • Type (hand torch, headlamp, "man-portable" spotlight, lantern, keychain, etc)
  • Bulb type(s)
  • cell type(s) - suggested, compatible, compatible-but-not-recommended-for-amateutrs
  • cell size(s) - suggested, compatible, compatible-but-not-recommended-for-amateutrs
  • number of cells (obviously varying due to above)
  • electrical requirements (voltage ranges, amperage, etc)
  • length
  • diameter
  • head diameter
  • body diameter
  • body finish
  • body material
  • runtime : long/average/minimum
  • switching methodology
  • Operational sequence
  • # of O-rings
  • drive method
  • collimation type
  • lens type
  • driver efficieincy
  • nominal lumens
  • nominal beam candlepower/lux @ 1m, 10m, etc
  • crush resistance
  • shock resistance
  • water resistance
  • depth rating
  • drop rating
  • mass: dry, loaded
  • nominal price
  • accessory compatibility (another database of itself!)
  • Photo(s)
  • Drawing(s)
... with potential for many more. These would best be grouped into some broad groups like optical, electrical, mechanical, environmental, performance, etc.

My experience with the LED DB (see my signature) is that simple tables do not lend themselves to this type of endeavour so well as they might seem. Establishing a relational database is difficult, but it offers some versatility - especially if you want multiple items to associate per field (ie compatible with multiple bulb or cell types). You might also have a varying number of items, like devleop some methodical way to dimension it with just numbers.

I might tinker with lazybase for my own list of reviewed flashlights and see how well it works.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
This is one of those great ideas that requires a committed individual (or group of) with enough time on their hands. Good luck rallying the troops!

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure we can find a way to do this, we just need to begin to collect the data, EVERY specification we can find needs to be collected in a central location we can all update, even if (for now), we only do it as a spreadsheet, then later into the searchable database.
In Excel, and many other spreadsheets, columns can be sorted in various ways.
This, of course, is crude but functional for now.

Robban

Enlightened
It would probably be easiest to just code a custom database driven site with relational databases for that. With all the variables I think it would be hard to find a pre-made solution that is flexible enough. Set it up so that people can register and add lights (or skip registration). One or more admins could then go through new submissions and clear them for inclusion into the live site to avoid trash data.

I'm working on a little project on my own and that's roughly how I'm doing it.

dta116

Newly Enlightened
I would be happy to code a web site with html and javascript, but my database coding is practically non-existant. I would need a bit of help on that, although I don't mind a challenge and I am a fast learner, I will need some hand holding.I would be able to put it up on my own server if need be, I looks like CPF forums are loaded down enough now, response is slower and slower and slower..and...

Well 'nuff for now, need more input.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think it's FAR easier to ask for recs, giving some info as to what cells, what runtime, what sort of beam etc.

Also price range info would always be helpfull.

Something likely exists for every need. And someone (or dozens of people) has the info.