ARC AAA premium old version vs new photon II

jpfaff

Newly Enlightened
Holy smokes.That new photon is three times brighter to the eye than my Arc AAAp with lithium batteries. How is that possible. On the packaging of the photon II it states 100% brighter and boy is it. For 8.oo as compared to the 4o.oo or 5o.oo for the ARC, photon is a handsdown winner. If someone can tell me any reason why there is such a great difference i'd appreciate it.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I dont think Photons are regulated so the light will dim as the batteries weaken.

I just got my first Photon with the different modes. Prior to that all I had were old Photon II's. Mine came with a neat little swveling clip attachment which makes it great for use with a ball cap as a LED headlamp.

cy

Flashaholic
scored a new photon at shot show. pretty cool little light, but it comes on without notice in your pocket. good way to kill your battery.

ARC AAA is still one to beat...

DrizzitT

Newly Enlightened
Old Arc AAA-P = Old Nichia

New Photon II = New Nichia

New Arc AAA-P = New Nichia

Get a new Arc AAA-P (or mod your old one) and it should be better than the Photon II (output of light should be the same, but the Arc has a reflector). This is based off my New photon freedom and new Arc AAA-P

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
My Photon Freedom Micro had a brighter, ringless spot than the Arc AAA premium that I brought (the first time around). I gave the Arc to my father and kept the Photon. The Photon is a terrific light!

:)

cy

Flashaholic
personally I prefer older ARC AAA's VS newest version. stainless contact pin is a huge improvement. but I prefer older ARC AAA's beams better.

photon's have their place for micro sized lights. both are very well constructed lights.

neither are really expensive, so get both!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
... but I prefer older ARC AAA's beams better...

I think there is still a fair amount of LED lottery going on here. I have had about 20 of the old company ARC AAA regular and premiums in my hands and 2 of the new premiums as well as several bare Nichia CS LEDs. The new premiums have just as good or better beams and are of course much brighter. In general the tints and brightness of the Nichia CS LEDs I saw were similar, but the "swirlyness" of the beams were all over the place.

If I had a choice between my handpicked CS modded Photon2 and my trusty old ARC LE I would take the Photon2. But the new ARC premiums are better for the same reasons they have always been better. Long regulated runtime on a common easily changed battery.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've several different Photons and one or more are always edc'd. But I enjoy the tactile feel of the ARC's. And the ARC's win the battery availibility/cost contest.

paulr

Flashaholic
Arc: more rugged, more waterproof, solidly reliable, trivial to replace battery.

Photon: Cheaper, smaller, longer usable runtime (long dim "tail"), less reliable (intermittent constant-on switch), needs special batteries with somewhat difficult replacement.