• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***CLOSED***KL1-Gen4 (with TIR optic) Biasing mod

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After posting my mod results in another thread, I have been bombarded with mod requests for boosting the Gen III KL1 bias to 750mA. Soooo, I'm going back to modding the latest gen KL1's on a limited basis. Price is $30, return shipping included.

As with mods I've done in the past for others, I assume any risk of damage to your KL1 and will replace it at my cost if I gouge up the anodizing. The first one I did (mine by the way) had some damage to the HA but it was due to my impatience. I'm confident I can do this without having to cough up out of pocket costs of replacements due to my overzealousness :D I can only take paypal from a non-credit card account, money order, or personal check if you're one of the good guys I've dealt with in the past.

Last edited:

MikeyTheBull

Newly Enlightened
Re: KL1-Gen3 Biasing mod

For anyone who has yet to deal with CM, he does excellent work. He modded an L6 head for me a while back, and he performed a super clean and very prompt service. I highly recommend him.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you gonna replace the Lux3 or does the latest generation have a good tint? What bin is the stock lux3? If we come up with a better Lux3 (TWOH, UWOH) can you install it?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Edit: If there is a line forming put me in for one of you fine mods

gl22man

Enlightened

I would like some info on the kl6 mod that MikeyTheBull posted about. What can you do to the kl6 i would like to have mine brighter and maybe get rid of the slight donut in the beam. Heck maybe even change the emmiter to get rid of the greenish tint i wonder what the wwos from photonfanatic would look like in there? Please let me know what mods you can perform on the kl6 and what the prices would be. Please PM me
By the way i tried to pm you but your inbox was full so i figured i would post here so you could get back to me..
Thanks
Mike...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

MikeyTheBull said:
For anyone who has yet to deal with CM, he does excellent work. He modded an L6 head for me a while back, and he performed a super clean and very prompt service. I highly recommend him.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Bullzeyebill said:
CM, please clear some PM's. I can't reply to your PM.

Bill

YIKES, sorry Bill, I just cleared out some older PM's. OK to send now.

AlexGT said:
Are you gonna replace the Lux3 or does the latest generation have a good tint? What bin is the stock lux3? If we come up with a better Lux3 (TWOH, UWOH) can you install it?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Edit: If there is a line forming put me in for one of you fine mods

AlexGT, I leave the Lux3 alone and recommend not changing it out unless you have something truly objectionable. I suspect the KL1's are using T bin's (mine looks that way at least, and the three I've seen at the local gunshop all looked like T's also) I haven't worked out pricing for replacing the Lux since that's higher risk in terms of scratching finish. At the minimum you'll get some internal thread gouging which will be hidden from view and won't affect function. PM me and we can try to sort out some details.

gl22man said:
I would like some info on the kl6 mod that MikeyTheBull posted about. ...

PM sent

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

KL1 being drop shipped to you from OpticsHQ, please let me know when you recieve the light and your Paypal addy for payment.

Thanks in advance for your great modding service. PM me if you have any questions.

Sincerely
AlexGT

JanCPF

Enlightened

Woohoo, CM is back in KL1 modding business. Sweeet - just like old times :D . As others have said, he does excellent work.

CM,
How hot does it get to the touch? Is it almost as hot as the Kl4 after some time? My stock biased KL1 gen4 does get warm, but not at all uncomfortably hot.

BTW: I don't wan't to split hairs, but isn't the latest KL1 mostly referred to as gen4 rather than gen3?

Jan

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's another vote for CM's work. I have some of his mods including a few KL1s (old style), FFII tweaks, and a first gen L1. They have all been in service for a while now and have been performing perfectly.

Hey CM, have you noticed a yellow ring around the beam of the Gen4 KL1s? Mine is nasty and I don't know if it's the LED tint or the optic that makes it so. If it's the LED you may have another "project" headed your way.

-LT

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM said:
After posting my mod results in another thread, I have been bombarded with mod requests for boosting the Gen III KL1 bias to 750mA. Soooo, I'm going back to modding the latest gen KL1's on a limited basis. Price is $30, return shipping included.

As with mods I've done in the past for others, I assume any risk of damage to your KL1 and will replace it at my cost if I gouge up the anodizing. The first one I did (mine by the way) had some damage to the HA but it was due to my impatience. I'm confident I can do this without having to cough up out of pocket costs of replacements due to my overzealousness :D I can only take paypal from a non-credit card account, money order, or personal check if you're one of the good guys I've dealt with in the past.

Ha, Cris at it again - the godfather of all Klx mods !

Long time no see Cris :wink:

Klaus

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep! His work is awesome, he did a mod for a KL1 first generation a while back and boy was it an improvement!!! No doubt I will be impressed again.

So lucky to be in line!

AlexGT

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi CM!

He has also done my KL1 mods. Beautiful work. Really, a worthwhile mod.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1-Gen4 Biasing mod

JanCPF said:
Woohoo, CM is back in KL1 modding business. Sweeet - just like old times :D . As others have said, he does excellent work.

CM,
How hot does it get to the touch? Is it almost as hot as the Kl4 after some time? My stock biased KL1 gen4 does get warm, but not at all uncomfortably hot.

BTW: I don't wan't to split hairs, but isn't the latest KL1 mostly referred to as gen4 rather than gen3?

Jan

Hi Jan, thanks for the kind words. The KL1 will run hot but not like the KL4, at least for the short times I've had it on continuously (5 minutes or so) At 860, it was almost like the KL4, hence I backed down even though I should probably try to kill the LED since in about a years time, we'll be swimming in K2's :D Hmmm, LED life be damned, give me some light! You're probably right about gen4 vs gen3, I can't keep track of these things anymore. It's the version with the TIR optic. I'll update the thread's title.

Penguin said:
Will the modded KL1 still work with 1-cell applications? I have a E1L body looking mightly lonely...

Runtime will be pretty short. This might work better with a rechargeable 123 due to higher voltage.

Lunal_Tic said:
Here's another vote for CM's work. I have some of his mods including a few KL1s (old style), FFII tweaks, and a first gen L1. They have all been in service for a while now and have been performing perfectly.

Hey CM, have you noticed a yellow ring around the beam of the Gen4 KL1s? Mine is nasty and I don't know if it's the LED tint or the optic that makes it so. If it's the LED you may have another "project" headed your way.

-LT

Thanks again for the nice words. I do notice a ring around the beam but I'm not sure I'd call it yellow. Is the main beam nice? I have a ring but it's almost the same color as the center. The ring appears to be an artifact of the TIR optic and I tend to ignore it. Would be nice if it wasn't there.

Klaus, long, long time no see. Staying out of trouble I hope :D

AlexGT, jody, thanks. I'm flattered all you guys haven't forgotten. I know I've been out for a while but I guess I'm kinda back now.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: KL1-Gen4 (with TIR optic) Biasing mod

I've got a KL1 Gen4 on order, havent even received it yet. But I'm already considering your mod, as I have a KL3 that responded beautifully to a wake up call. I also have another KL3 (old finned style) that I placed a McR-27 and TW0J in, although I'm disappointed with the stock 370mA drive level. Might be sending them both your way, unless you wouldnt mind sharing the details of your mod and maybe I can hatchet my way through it!

Action

Enlightened
Any chance of modding an older gen KL1?

Any chance that I could interest you in modding one of the older gen KL1's? I've just recently purchased a nice SG KL1 and needs a whiter LED and some more ooomh. Please? I've heard you do such great work!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any chance of modding an older gen KL1?

Wow cool, great to see CM back in action! :D

Older SG KL1s particularly benefit from the modifications. Mine had a puke-green corona and all of the artifacts associated with a low dome until it got field upgraded to a RY0J at stock drive current. Beautiful from that day onwards.