Ansmann Energy Check LCD - Professional Battery Tester

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just ordered an "Ansmann Energy Check LCD - Professional Battery Tester" from the link below in the UK, for £34.66

I just found this seller today, and they are based on the same town that i live in.

He is going to drop one off at my house.

He says that he will ship internationally, but you will have to contact him on the website bellow.

I know their are a few CPF members looking for this tester.

ANSMANN.jpg

manual pdf

http://www.ansmann.de/en/view.htm?oid=&open=manual_pdf&what=product&id=697&ext=.pdf

anyway goodluck.

http://www.cellpacksolutions.com/Search_Data_Sheet.asp?ID=ENERGYCHECKLCD

regards.

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how true but someone here mention that this tester was based on the ZTS units.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello TinderBox,

I believe there is a trade injunction (either in place, or in the works) against shipping those units to the US. Your seller may ship internationally, but should not be able to ship that unit to the US.

The back story seems to be that Ansmann approached ZTS about this tester. When they did not reach an agreement, Ansmann told ZTS that they would just reverse engineer the unit and bring out their own brand. Which they did.

I believe it operates on exactly the same principle as the ZTS tester, however the actual loads may be a bit different. I am not sure if Ansmann has done any research on the voltage curves, and do not believe it can be upgraded or modified to test other batteries (like the Energizer L91 lithium AA).

Tom

cy

Flashaholic
tom, thanks for the info...

since I've already got a zts tester, not much advantage. only grip I have with zts is gradations is not very fine.

having a volt meter integral solves that issue.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
tom, thanks for the info...

since I've already got a zts tester, not much advantage. only grip I have with zts is gradations is not very fine.

having a volt meter integral solves that issue.
cy:

Voltage isn't supposed to be a true indicator of a cell's capacity. I've had cells with a lower voltage read a higher capacity on the ZTS, so who needs the volt meter?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
only grip I have with zts is gradations is not very fine.
In reality, the graduations may be too fine. It's kind of like using a plain old wooden ruler to measure the inside diameter of a flashlight and then reporting the results to 4 decimal places.

Predicting battery capacity is a pretty chancy endeavor at best. You may be able to only get measurements such as dead, weak, fair, and good.

If Ansmann is indeed able to predict battery capacity to plus/minus 5%, I would love to see their qualification test procedures and data - if they even exist.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I got my Ansmann Energy Check LCD this morning, and i have tested all my varous primary battery`s.

It is amazing how many almost dead battery you have lying around.

I have gone through all the rechargable i have in all my flashlights, a lot of them only had 40% capacity left, so it`s time to get out the charger.

I know it wont test lithium 1.5volt cells, but i only have two energizer AAA cells anyway.

it seem very well built, as most german stuff is.

regards.

wattsoccurring

Newly Enlightened
I received one of these today and set about checking various batteries.
I have to confess to being slightly disappointed. The same CR123 battery can measure 60% one time, 100% another or anywhere in between.
Either I'm missing something, this is a dodgy unit or the perception of accuracy created by advertising the ability to read in 10% stages is misleading.
Alkaline batteries also tend to show a fluctuation though less than the lithiums. Do the ZTS meters behave in a similar fashion?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
no just do one test after another.

I think the lithium batterys wake up as you test them, especialy batterystation ones.

thanks why you look for three consecutive reading the same.

regards.

John.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dave,

Keep in mind that the test results rely on good contact with the tester. If there is some added resistance from poor contact, it will throw the results off. I try to slide the battery terminals across the fixed contact and slide the movable contact across the other battery terminal in a scratching motion before taking a measurement. I then try to hold 2-4 pounds of force during the test.

When testing a lot of cells, I find that my hand gets tired.

Once you have the test procedure down, any variation will be due to cell.

Tom

cy

Flashaholic
newbie is recommending testing with ZTS and volt meter. so Ansmann tester may be easier to use.

wptski said:
cy:

Voltage isn't supposed to be a true indicator of a cell's capacity. I've had cells with a lower voltage read a higher capacity on the ZTS, so who needs the volt meter?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello Dave,

Keep in mind that the test results rely on good contact with the tester. If there is some added resistance from poor contact, it will throw the results off. I try to slide the battery terminals across the fixed contact and slide the movable contact across the other battery terminal in a scratching motion before taking a measurement. I then try to hold 2-4 pounds of force during the test.

When testing a lot of cells, I find that my hand gets tired.

Once you have the test procedure down, any variation will be due to cell.

Tom
Tom:

Gosh, 2-4 pounds of force, do we need force pressure gage now?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
My new Ansmann arrived today and I`v spent some time going through my backup Lithium Primaries and it works perfectly! it would be nice if it did Li-ion as well, but my Xtar VP4 Plus will do those anyway so it`s not a problem.
At least now I won`t have to worry about using Lithium primaries in my P60s if ever I needed to. ;)