Can a kl4 head run off one 123 cell

kooter

Enlightened
Want to put a kL4 head on an aleph body. Single 123 cell. Is this possible. I know it runs at 100 lumens with 2 cells, if it will run with one cell what sort of output could i expect. The same with a shorter run time? Please excuse my ignorance:sssh:

jtice

Flashaholic
Runs fine, but at reducedf output,
not sure how reduced, im guess 70% or less,
and maybe half the runtime?

Sorry for the rough numbers, I havent done any measurements.
But it does make alot of light for its size.

~John

Robban

Enlightened
Quite a few people run the KL4 on an E1E body and call it a TW4, so yes, it's quite possible.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok Guys,

How about this ?? If the KL3 can be run with 3 lithiums,
can the KL4 do this as well??? Or is it too much power ??

Ray

kooter

Enlightened
Already have an E1L but want as much power and throw as possible. Would this be the best way to go. Also like the idea of making it up myself from bits. How much power does the kl4 have, i have read from 65 lumens up to 100.

cy

Flashaholic
depends upon luxeon lottery... if vf is low enough. yes kl4 will run off 1x cr123. but not for long.

best to run R123 li-ion, it will run in regulation with no problems. kl4 was made for this setup!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Kid9P said:
How about this ?? If the KL3 can be run with 3 lithiums,
can the KL4 do this as well???
KL4 is rated for 6V max, 3x123's would fry it. Two R132's would also smoke it.

seaward

Newly Enlightened
I have run that setup on 1x cr123 and had about 20 minutes of "good" output although reduced then "useable" output for a while.. I swapped out the battery while still having, useable output.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSCN7591smcr.jpg

You bet you can Just use a rechargable 123 cell and you will have a great little light like you can see above.

Yaesumofo

kooter

Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
DSCN7591smcr.jpg

You bet you can Just use a rechargable 123 cell and you will have a great little light like you can see above.

Yaesumofo

yaesumofo. The lights look well cool. What sort of output do you get from them? I am looking for more than my E1L puts out, which is 25 lumens. Plus some extra throw. Do you think this is the route to go? Cheers paul

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4 is a horrible choice if you're looking for throw. It's a very large hotspot with broad spill, and very useful at close range. It will not outthrow your E1L or even come close to it.

kooter

Enlightened
Thanks for putting me in the picture on that one. Any suggestions for a head that will outhrow the E1L

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have your stock KL1 modified by CPF member CM. He'll up the drive current to about 750mA so much more output and throw. I think the service is only like $30 or something too.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
Have your stock KL1 modified by CPF member CM. He'll up the drive current to about 750mA so much more output and throw. I think the service is only like $30 or something too.

Who is CM? I would be interested in discussing a modification of my KL1 to 750mA but also a change to a reflector instead of the optic.

-Goatee