just got the oldest gps in the world

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man well some of ya knopw how i got riped off on that ipod.well the guy let me trade it for a magellan gps 2000xl gps.man this thing is so old.it has confuseing north refeneces i wish it had on it where south was and east etc etc like a compass it just points where north is and if ya aint moveing it dont know ehre north is like if ya point it north it dont even know lol but i had fun playing with it at least it beter then broke ipod lol

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old? As far as Magellans go, I have one of their first handheld models--the Trailblazer XL. Probably four years older than the 2000XL. I'm trying to decide whether to clean out the leaked batteries, or send it in to Duracell and get a new one.

xl.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i didnt know they had em that long ago.there fun to play with.if i was you id call or email duracell to first check if theyll let ya return it.cause maybe they wont after ya messed with it.hopefully the acid didnt leak on the circuit board/.mine seems to work ok but i guess i have no idea how to check it gives me cordinates but im not sure if therte corect
here is where i just was according to it 34.20.19 n 083.51.27w.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I have you both beat by a comfortable margin, A pair of Magellan Navpro 1000's, vintage early 1991. This is the civilian version of the Magellans first Military receiver, about the size and weight of a brick, with a 4 channel multiplexed received (receives 4 channels in sequence, not simultaneously). The Navpro5000 fits in the same case, and if you bought the upgrade, gave you 5 channel parallel performance. At the time I bought them there were only 13 gps sats in orbit.

paulr

Flashaholic
I had a Garmin GPS-45 from maybe a little bit later. Prior to portable receivers, I think there were aviation and shipboard receivers that were the size of PC's.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its a fun toy but i rather have the ipod.i guess i need to go to a known location that i know the numbers for to set this thing up

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My first was a Trimble that had LED segment display and gave Lat and Lon and that was it. $3000 if I recall correctly. It was portable but larger than an in dash radio. Compared to a RDF or Loran, this thing was fantastic!!!!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Trimble AN/PSN-10 SLGR -- Gulf War I vintage...it still works great! Not as accurate as my Magellan eXplorist, but still fine for what it is.

I have the Trailblazer XL also...thinking of setting it up for APRS for the truck. Doesn't need to be that accurate for APRS. :)

JM-99

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Jumpmaster said:
I have a Trimble AN/PSN-10 SLGR -- Gulf War I vintage...it still works great! Not as accurate as my Magellan eXplorist, but still fine for what it is.

I have the Trailblazer XL also...thinking of setting it up for APRS for the truck. Doesn't need to be that accurate for APRS. :)

JM-99
rofl when i read this i thought ww1 i was like wow i had no idea they had em back then.