SureFire E2D in Washington D.C.?

ceraldi

Newly Enlightened
All,

I have read the weapons laws for DC and have ruled out most of my usual defensive weapons. I do have my SureFire E2D that an have had no problems carrying on commercial flights even before the newer lax laws. but DC is a big unknown and I have to travel there for work this sunday, would I be fairly safe with that "tool" ?

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine why there would be anything that would prohibit the possession or reasonable use of a flashlight in any state of the US, or in DC. However, if you have a concern, it would probably be better for you to contact MPDC directly with any questions rather than relying upon opinions from a web forum. Additionally if you're not actually going to be in DC, but rather in one of the metropolitan areas, then authorities in the states of Maryland or Virginia would be the correct parties to contact, as applicable.

A bunch of us went counting one day and found that there were something like 33 law enforcement related agencies in DC alone (this was over 10 years ago). In any case it would be best to contact the presiding agency with any inquries or concerns that you might have.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just note that you should keep the light in your checked in luggage, or at least in your carry-on. The crenelated bezel and tailcap may raise a few eyebrows, especially if you are flying into Reagan or Dulles. For edc you should be fine. I wouldn't attempt to carry it into any secured sites in DC either (house, Senate, White House, Pentagon, etc.).

Flakey

Enlightened
i cant see what the big deal would be, on the list of dangerous weapons a flashlight such as the e2d is only slightly higher than your hand is .... and in many cases a hand would be much more deadly. i think if anything people would look at you funny like, "why the hell is he carrying a flashlight during the daytime, and one that looks like a laser gun at that."

JoshuaFl

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I are travelling to the Philippines in May. I have had the same question on my mind, as far as any trouble at the airport.

Since I purchased the E2D I have never been without it on my person except when Im sleeping, and then its on the nightstand.

I believe that rather than possibly having any trouble, I will switch to the E1L outdoorsman during my trip. It still has a clip and is fairly bright.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
DC has cleaned up its act since the turbulent 60s,70s and 80s but the E2D will set off metal detectors

batman

Enlightened
We the citizens pay taxes to keep that city in business I don't see why we can't carry a flashlight with us.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not giving legal advice, yet I do know a thing or two about DC and lights.
For starters DC would be a better safer place if folks respected the laws like you do as your post indicates!

I wouldn't worry about the E2 Defender.

Felons there can be secure knowing that in many cases murder charges result in less prison time (if any ) than other non violent offenses. In other words, in the mind of a maggot, there is no compelling reason NOT to murder etc.

You are correct in fearing the Federal, local charges that could destroy a law abiding citizen were they to run aflowl of these statutes.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Just bear in mind that Washington, D.C....

1. Outlaws pocket knives with serrated blades.
2. Virtually outlaws individually-owned firearms.
3. Has more red-light/speed-measurement cameras per sq. mile than any other city -- which underscores its intrusive/Big Brother prevailing gov't mindset.
4. Is largely populated by -- and governed by -- weapons-averse "progressives" who will be inclined to string you up if you ever actually use that E2D to physically thwart/rip the face off some poor little socially-disadvantaged Mugger (when *cough* modern, non-violent conflict resolution methods, or U.N. peace-keepers, or the Tooth Fairy, would be deemed a more "desireable" approach).

... and STILL has a very high crime rate.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
TonkinWarrior said:
Just bear in mind that Washington, D.C....

1. Outlaws pocket knives with serrated blades.
2. Virtually outlaws individually-owned firearms.
3. Has more red-light/speed-measurement cameras per sq. mile than any other city -- which underscores its intrusive/Big Brother prevailing gov't mindset.
3. Is largely populated by -- and governed by -- weapons-averse "progressives" who will be inclined to string you up if you ever actually use that E2D to physically thwart/rip the face off some poor little socially-disadvantaged Mugger (when *cough* modern, non-violent conflict resolution methods, or U.N. peace-keepers, or the Tooth Fairy, would be deemed a more "desireable" approach).

Caveat emptor.

What he said. :D

Praxis

Enlightened
You don't say what you will be doing, or where you will be going, in D.C, but as others have said metel detectors are standard features in all government buildings and most museums like the Smithsonian and National Gallery of Art these days. On the other hand, I have a feeling an E2D won't cause you any trouble. My significant other works for a domestic security related federal agency and carries her E2D to work every day. She also visits other federal security related buildings weekly and has never had a problem with the light attracting attention. Don't draw attention to yourself and you shouldn't have a problem. Just be careful if you are planning to carry a pocket knife because DC law is pretty restrictive. I've never had a problem with a Swiss Army Knife, but I wouldn't carry anything larger unless I knew for sure I wouldn't be going into any buildings with metal detectors. Better to stay on the south bank of the Potomac in the free state of Virginia.

Last edited:

batman

Enlightened
Well, if you come to oklahoma take all the flashlights with you ya' want. And If you don't have a handgun on you at the security checkpoints we'll give you one.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Come on guys it's a flashlight (which is too small to be used as a club)! It's not going to be a problem!

FYI, I was born in DC and have lived here my whole life (suburbs).

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I liver in the metro DC area and was at the Natl Museum of American History 2 weeks ago. I carried my Metal Gear and never had a problem, metal detector or otherwise. I know that the courthouse will generally just turn the light on to make sure that it is a light, but other than that, no issue.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a security person check my 6Z once going into a federal courthouse by turning it on while looking at the bulb. He made quite a few unattractive faces in rapid succession and almost hit me with the light handing it back to me.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
IIRC member zespectre is from DC and is/was in law enforcement. Maybe he'll chime in.

-LT

Oh boy, I'm going to have to pause and ruminate a bit before I jump into this one!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I've gone back through the posts and the following comments are about all I have to add right at the moment.

Ceraldi – DC is a funny place. Big government/Big brother mentality combined with a lot of people who -really do believe- that they are working in the best interests of the country (but who seem to have no real understanding of the "babysitter will take care of me" mentality they are creating). Now add in a dose of the cynics and/or corrupt who DO understand the "take care of me" mentality they are creating and use it to maintain their position/power. Mix it using the spin doctors who are trying to make their group look the best (whoever their group is) and you get this rube goldberg machine that generally runs and does the job but sometimes spits out the weirdest "solutions" to problems entered into it.

Even with all of that though I really can't see any reason why you would be given any grief for having an e2d in DC. Some locations are tighter than others (the Smithsonians, the Capitol, the FBI building) so in some of these places you might simply be told "you can't bring that in here".

Batman- You haven't been to DC have you? I could spend hours trying to explane the "inside the beltway" mentality and probably still couldn't get you to understand the way these people think. (okay, I don't really understand it either, I just know the roadmap and play along so I can work here).

TonkinWarrior- Wish I could argue with you but I can't. Had an aggressive panhandler grab me by the arm once as I was walking home one evening and in a pretty much trained-in response I had him restrained, face down on the ground in a "detention" hold (no bumps, bruises or scratches, I just wasn't letting him move). Okay once I had him there I wasn't about to let him up until the cops arrived and do you know when they got there he tried to get them to arrest ME for assult and some of the crowd that had gathered was –in agreement- with him?!? Fortunately I had witnesses that included one of the external security cameras of a nearby building.

On the other hand that is the only incident of any sort that I've had in 16 years.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's amusing/ironic/sad that the capitol of the so-called freest country in the world is so restrictive.