Photon is a one tuff guy...

matt_j

Enlightened
I've been using photons since they hit the market. At first they were not cheap and one could afford one light only. As times progressed they become more affordable and I got a bunch but the first photon I ever bought is with me and still working. I did not abuse it on purpose in order to run some kind of tests. What you see is close to 5 years on the keychain and 4 years being on the ambulance/crew room loop. That means that it hangs outside on my duty belt no matter what the weather it is, I crawl on it, I throw it off the roof in order for someone to open my rig to get my equipment, fights and god knows what else. It looks like my photon is on the last breath but it is still ticking. That damn thing was with me in WTC and during Blackout. I draged that thing to Africa and Peru. Good job Photon. Now why the hell did I chose the blue color as my first light beats me.

photon1.jpg

photon2.jpg

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how the LED is all chipped off. How is the constant-switch holding up?
The tab on my clear lighthound-fauxton snapped off after around 3 months very light use. I don't know if a real Photon uses a harder material than a clone, or if the transparent clones use a softer material than the black clones. But it'd influence my next purchase of one. Because of it breaking, my faith has gone in the Freedom line, with no external switches to break.

matt_j

Enlightened
The on/off switch is harded to engage that originally but it still works. Half of LED from one side is gone and another half is all chiped off so it looks like a glowing crystal when on. I think I can open my packages now that's how sharp the edge is. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Neat story, Matt. I still have my original photon also, although I have to admit that mine doesn't get anywhere near the amount of rough treatment that yours does!

You were at the WTC? :bow: :bow: :bow:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Nice related experience here. I too have enjoyed my Photon for these past years (since 1998/99? :thinking:) and to this very day is still hanging on my keychain. :thumbsup:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my photon2 I bought when the whites first became available. I don't know that they were that much more money back then but $18 sure seemed like a lot of money at the time. My switch still works great although the little ridges have been smoothed off over time.

The real Photon2 is much better that the fauxton clones. The materials are better and the switches work better and are less prone to accidental activation. I got a bunch of real photon2's in older LED colors for $4 from one of the CPF dealers.

I still prefer the Photon2 to any of the varients, it is real easy to upgrade the LED, and none have mine have accidentaly come on and drained the batteries. The freedom and other electronic models have a real problem with this according to CPF.