I decided. L6 is next

wquiles

Flashaholic
Except for me feeling that the U2 is a more versatile light with the 6 power levels and the ability to take 18650 cells, no, there is no real reason for not getting the L6. For me, I had both and once I got the U2 I told the L6. That does not mean that the L6 is not a great light, just that for me the U2 was "better" ;)

Will

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh really? was there a throw difference, larger spill beam. Better Regulation? Was the probabilty of getting one of the Disfunctional U2 with doughnut holes and clickie switch problem?

Flakey

Enlightened
Whell the L6 uses the same LuxV in the same size reflector as the U2, so the chances of flaw there are the same, the only thing that the u2 has that is different is the clicky tailcap, but i have heard that the new ones are much better. Mine is Perfect ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE U2 But yeah considering you can stuff a protected 18650 in the U2, and the 6 light levels ..... I dont see where you could go wrong. if you REALLY are fearfull of getting a bad light head to a surefire retailer and check all the parts before you buy it. HOLY COW!! i just looked and relized that these 2 lights are nearly the same price! Yowzers Ill take the 6 digitally regulated output levels and 18650 tube ANY DAY over room for 1 extra 123 and a grippy ring. PS you can fit a grip ring onto the U2 see my u2 thread for a pic.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Does the U2's Level switch plastic. I really do like the styling of the L6 but i care about perfromance more. I heard that the Surefire U2 has better throw, does it?

Flakey

Enlightened
The swich plastic? the swich is the same Clicky tailcap found on other surefire models. if you are referring to the Selector Ring (Registerd Trademark and Us Patent) It is made out of a "Plastic like Polymer" Basically You know the Nitrolon body of the G2? the ring is EISILY as tough as that, this think does not feel cheap in any way. As far as throw goes i believe they are the same. they use the same emitter and i believe the same reflector so they should be Equals with the L6 having longer runtime due to its extra cell. but extended runtime is THE ONLY advantage that the L6 has IMO. i would go with the U2

nc987

Enlightened
Whell the L6 uses the same LuxV in the same size reflector as the U2,

Not true, the L6 has a deeper reflector and a larger bezel. IMO the L6 is the best LED light I have ever come across for pure beam quality. The U2 is more versatile but I find that 99% of the time i use my U2 at full brightness anyways. However the L6 is not a tremendous thrower, it will out throw my other Lux V's (U2 & L5) but my KL3 is still my best throwing light (not including my HF HID)

Check out my beamshot comparison here of all my Surefire LED's:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105935

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Inova t5....Wanted to save some (a fair amount) of money over the L6....Stupid...stupid... STUPID!!! Now I have another light with no sidespill that I only feel comfortable using around the house or in conjunction with another light. Spend the money. I have seen the beamshots. I miss my m3.

As to the other comments: I am sure that many people have U2's that work great. I have not heard 1/10th of the problems with the L6 as the U2. Maybe more people have U2's. Maybe it is easier to build a reliable single power level light than a variable. Good luck either way.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the L6 is a better thrower than the U2? The only difference then is the versatlity of 6 power levels? I personally dont care about the versatility i just want one bright light(Surefire) that is a good thrower and has some sidespill. Well thanks for the Help and i hope to become one hell of a flashaholic

nc987

Enlightened
L6 does throw farther than the U2 to answer your question. If your looking for the best non-variable LED flashlight on the market, my praise goes to the L6.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
skalomax said:
So the L6 is a better thrower than the U2? The only difference then is the versatlity of 6 power levels? I personally dont care about the versatility i just want one bright light(Surefire) that is a good thrower and has some sidespill. Well thanks for the Help and i hope to become one hell of a flashaholic

If this is what you're looking for the L6 will be perfect!! I'm running mine on 12 volts with a MC123 extension (from Lighthound) and I can't tell you total run time but I've haven't gotten thru the first set of batteries yet!!

Side spill +1
Throw +1
Bright +1
Color mine is really white! +10

wquiles

Flashaholic
skalomax said:
I personally dont care about the versatility i just want one bright light(Surefire) that is a good thrower and has some sidespill.
Given this, then yes, the L6 should fit your needs perfectly ;)

skalomax said:
Well thanks for the Help and i hope to become one hell of a flashaholic
You are well on your way. Just remember that you will spend "a lot" more on "lights" than you ever though possible :D

Will

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
nc987 said:
Not true, the L6 has a deeper reflector and a larger bezel. IMO the L6 is the best LED light I have ever come across for pure beam quality. The U2 is more versatile but I find that 99% of the time i use my U2 at full brightness anyways. However the L6 is not a tremendous thrower, it will out throw my other Lux V's (U2 & L5) but my KL3 is still my best throwing light (not including my HF HID)

Check out my beamshot comparison here of all my Surefire LED's:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105935

Will your KL3 out throw your M3T?

-Goatee

nc987

Enlightened
Will your KL3 out throw your M3T?

Nope. While the KL3 throws amazingly far for a 19 lumen light, the over 100 lumen difference and turbohead for the m3T give it a big advantage for throwing light a long ways.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Actually, for low light levels with the L6, you could use the sandwich shoppe's two-stage tailcap modification. I'm waiting for mine to be brought over from the US to see how effective it is.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
The Sandwich Shoppe sub-forum is located here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38

The online shop for purchasing the required parts is located here:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php

Go to the "DIY Flashlight Mods" section, then the "SureFire Mods" sub-section.

The switch is called an McE2s. You will have to choose one out of four resistor values offered: 15, 22, 30 and 60 Ohm. The bigger the Ohm value, the dimmer the light will be. I haven't received the parts yet but I'm guessing either 30 or 60 Ohm will be good for my L6.

Take note that the two-stage switch is not a 'clickie' type switch. It operates on the standard swist-on tailcaps from SureFire for the E, C or in your case, M series lights. (The body of the L6 is same as the M3) So from the off position, you twist a bit for low level light and twist all the way down for full output.

Here's a thread which contains pictures of how to assemble the switch:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83844&highlight=McC2S

Enjoy!!!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks. I cancelled my order becasue there is a store about 11 miles from where i live that sells the surefire l6 for 264.99. Im going to go get it at 1pm, so happy