Low budget car radio suggestions?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need a new radio for my Samurai. Don't want to spend over a hundred dollars if I can help it. Don't want cassette, don't even particularly want CD, although it would be OK.

Primarily interested in good AM reception, but need FM because it will also be used with my XM MyFi portable's built-in FM modulator. An Aux in jack would be good to have... And I've seen a few that take SD cards.. That would be cool, but the ones I've seen them on either are higher quality (and price) than I want, or on units that scream "junk electronics" from the box.

Also want Analog volume control.... Or at least digital controlled by a 'twisty knob' My current one has digital volume control via + & - buttons, and I absolutely despise it.

2 channel Stereo is all I need, and 40 watts total is plenty. (Wouldn't even need that much if my Samurai wasn't about as noisy as a tank.) I am NOT an audiophile by any means... So sound quality beyond run of the mill FM quality, equalization and all would be wasted on me, as would be fancy digital displays.

This is for an off-road vehicle that pounds the heck out of everything in it, so being well made and tough is more important than super high tech features.

I'd just go to a junkyard and find an old OEM type radio, but don't have a junkyard handy.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me to. I also don't want one with a front panel that falls off. And I don't want another Radio Shack one either, come to think about it.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Far and away the best place for a cheap MP3 CD deck is Fry's, if you are willing to head over to AZ. You have to watch the ads before you go, but cheap brands (Rampage) go for $39 when on sale, and ones from Blaupunkt, Clarion and Panasonic (with knobs!) go for $59-$99.

paulr

Flashaholic
JVC makes some nice ones that have auxiliary jacks on the front, great for plugging in a portable player. Others have aux on the back, better for permanent XM installations and whatnot. Avoid those FM broadcast thingies for your satellite receiver if you can possibly help it. They are better than nothing if all you have is a factory radio with no aux input, but if you're buying a new radio, don't even think of one without aux.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input everyone... I was hoping for specific brand/model recommendations more than anything else, as I would be ordering online.

Bigiron: I did check out Crutchfield, didn't see anything that was sure to fit my needs at my price, but saw a few that need further investigation.

BFG: Used to buy a lot of stuff at Fry's when I lived in Phoenix, But I'm not planning on driving a thousand mile round trip for a sale there ;)

Paul; The MyFi XM has built in FM modulator and it works impressively well.... At least I can't tell the difference between using it or the Aux In on my current setup, other than not having a cord dangling in use or getting lost when not in use ;)

A couple of years ago, I did buy a cheap Belkin FM modulator for my older XM radio, and you are right, it kind of sucks... Although more for the hassle factor rather than performance, which was acceptable for my level of need.

I'd be using the Aux in for my Pocket PC as an MP3 player if I used it at all

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive seen and heard good stuff about the walmart kits. They have a radio with two speakers and a cassette or cd player for 50 bucks.

As for your line in, Id get an fm modulator for your other stuff you want to hear.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
Thanks for your input everyone... I was hoping for specific brand/model recommendations more than anything else, as I would be ordering online.

Thanks for getting me kick-started. I finally got around to installing a radio in my old Plymouth. I got a used Pioneer (model deh-2400f to be exact), for $45 on eBay. I like it. I guess the AM performance is as good as can be expected in an automobile. I made a few observations of AM reception, if you are interested. If I had to buy another one, it would probably be another Pioneer.

I also got a good CD player and good FM reception to boot. The old car never sounded so good.

I don't know if you have experience installing radios in cars. You need a wiring harness. My eBay radio didn't come with one, so I bought one on eBay for $10. But that only has a connector to fit the Pioneer. The other end is just a bunch of wires. I had to hook it to the car's harness.

Then there is the radio size. It seems most radios these days are DIN size. My dashboard had a bigger hole. I guess it's what is called a DIN and a half. Fortunately my old junky Radio Shack radio came with the proper front panel that makes everything fit.

I see Crutchfield has a Pioneer for $100. If that comes with a complete harness and a front panel if necessary, it could be a pretty good deal. It all depends on whether you have the time and expertise and inclination to do the cabling etc. yourself.

I took a chance with this eBay purchase from a liquidator/auction house, as the AM wasn't tested or guaranteed. It payed off for me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9711548680&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Latest posts