Pimped out my U2

Flakey

Enlightened
Ok so i got my U2 a while ago, its got 0 Issues Very bright, very white, no doughnut, no clicky failure. And i LOVE this light it is just perfect, whell it is now anyway!

First on the list of mods, i removed the Plastic inner tube and stuffed in a new 2200mAh 18650 from AW, GREAT BATTERY!

Then I took the Grip Ring off of my C3 centurian and attached it to my U2 (a little heavy duty adheisive and that sucker isnt going anywhere) now it has grip just like any of the surefire combat lights!

Finally I put on an Fm64 beamshaper, if you havent tried surefire beamshapers ... you need to they are friggen great! Now i can walk around at night on one of the middle settings with the thing pointed at the ground and i get a great view of what im about to step on!

Long story short I LOVE THIS LIGHT!
1cb7b77110ce.jpg

Its hard to see because of my shitty camera but that grip ring is awesome!

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
GreenLED, i got question for you.

When you turn lights back on, does the GID paint in logo stay in BK (transparent) or they have those green/ blue color? or even white...?

Any reconmandation for GID paint? what is the best you have work with.

I wish it is transparent apply on, so in room light, it just looks like usual U2, in dark, it reveal the other personality.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, now I need to get some spare grip rings!

I have always liked the C2/C3 grip ring.. that I can permanently affix one to the U2 is just awesome!

GreenLED.. great work on the paint!

greenLED

Flashaholic
wuyeah said:
When you turn lights back on, does the GID paint in logo stay in BK (transparent) or they have those green/ blue color? or even white...?

Any reconmandation for GID paint? what is the best you have work with.
I use GID paint from glowinc.com - there are no better GID products out there. Under normal lighting conditions, the green paint has a slight yellowish tint to it, and the blue is white. Also, the logo is so tiny that you wouldn't normally notice it had GID paint in it unless you were looking for it. BTW, glowinc.com does have a couple of paints that look a certain color under normal light, but glow a different color in the dark. Those are really cool, but they don't glow as long as their regular colors.

Initially I had coated the GID paint with a layer of clear nail polish, but that made the whole button shiny! :green: I slowly rubbed off the nail polish so the button went back to "normal" (aside from the GID paint, of course).

KevinL said:
GreenLED.. great work on the paint!
:thanks:

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think it would rub off if I were to put on a G2? Thats' a very good idea! Really I would just like to find those tailcap glow-rings like someone had for the Fenixs' a while ago....

greenLED

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Do you think it would rub off if I were to put on a G2? Thats' a very good idea! Really I would just like to find those tailcap glow-rings like someone had for the Fenixs' a while ago....
:thinking: You could paint a GID ring on the G2 and the coat it with clear nail polish to protect it (otherwise I'm afraid it'll eventually rub off). You can also prepare some GID powder + epoxy mix and make a ring on the body. That mix is much sturdier, and you can still remove it fairly easily by boiling the parts (at least it peels right off the aluminum lights I've done this with - is Nitrolon porous? I can't remember what the surface looks like right now). Anyway, here's a thread with lots of ideas on how to do this.

Another straigthforward way of adding glow to your lights is by using GID o-rings (see link in my sigline) [/shameless plug]

Flakey

Enlightened
Archangel said:
Flakey - is the FM64 as heavy as it looks?

whell it is made out of high impact plastic. so .. no its quite light. if you mean is it as bulky as it looks, the answer is yes. is it totally worth it? YES! when i EDC the light i leave the fm64 at home, but when i go out hiking at night, the beamshaper is a MUST! and yes the grip ring on this light is absolutely splendid. Oh also, if you have a u2 and you dont have an 18650 you need to get one. Guilt free light, you wont feel bad about having it on the brightest setting =)

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, between then and now i realized that it's plastic, alleviating my worries about it throwing the balance completely out of wack. Now i just need to find one for a decent price shipped. The grip ring idea is interesting. Not that anyone sells them piecemeal.

Loomy

Enlightened
KevinL said:
Dang, now I need to get some spare grip rings!

I have always liked the C2/C3 grip ring.. that I can permanently affix one to the U2 is just awesome!

Thread bump because I agree, I wish I could get one of those :(

jtice

Flashaholic
Nice work.
I need to look into getting a beam shaper to try out,
I just dont like all the bulk they add to the light.

I also places a fat oring on the body of mine for grip.
Its about 2/3 as thick as the ones on the Surefires, but it does add some grip.
If anyone finds a place to get the actual SF grips, please let me know.

Now, if someone would just make some of those Derlin tail switch guards for the U2/L5/M2/etc switches..... ;) :poke:

~John

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Nice work.
I need to look into getting a beam shaper to try out,
I just dont like all the bulk they add to the light.

I also places a fat oring on the body of mine for grip.
Its about 2/3 as thick as the ones on the Surefires, but it does add some grip.
If anyone finds a place to get the actual SF grips, please let me know.

Now, if someone would just make some of those Derlin tail switch guards for the U2/L5/M2/etc switches..... ;) :poke:

~John

The beamshapers are pretty fat. I use a FM-65 red filter sometimes to preserve night vision, but it makes pocket carry difficult. I does make the light pretty much immune to damage on the front end as an added bonus though....

I do the same with an o-ring. Placed just under the clip, makes it a lot easier to pull the thing out of a pocket.

I'd like a Derlin guard as well, but they don't seem to be coming anytime soon... :(