Emitter mounted on heatsink

The rough specs:
LED White K2 emitter (prototype), unknown bin
Host Maglite 2C, driven by NiMH cells
Driver Nextgen 1000 from the 'Shoppe
Heatsink Hotlips-C from the 'Shoppe
Opticalware Mag reflector minus cam, 52mm mineral glass from Fenix-Store.com
Power 2x Ray-O-Vac 2900mAH NiMH C cells
Runtime Approximately 90 minutes until "moon mode" with cells down to ~1.05V each. I had no interest in determining ultimate runtime.
Output No meter, no test. Better than a TWOH magmod with same optical components driven @ 500mA

Save for the K2, it was like the typical Luxeon magmod.

Tint is acceptable. It's a bit more yellow than my TWOH magmod, which seems vaguely blue by comparison.

It's visibly brighter than my 3D resistored magmod, but that's only seeing about 500mA due to ~1.1ohms of resistance in addition to contact/switch resistance. I suspect it's no more efficient than a typical Luxeon 3. Due to the prototype nature of the emitter (I obtained it before Lumileds started sampling in earnest), I expect it might not live the advertised 20-50,000 hours.

I opted to drive it at 1000mA because the dininishing-returns jump in light output per all K2 spec sheets isn't easily-perceived but the linear jump in heat output likely is.

If anyone wants more pictures, I could take some. Bear in mind that I really don't have anything to do an apples-to-apples comparison, and the emitter dates to mid/late 2005 at the earliest; likely not the best representative of the limited-production K2s now in circulation.

I know my soldering technique is sloppy and I need to use some liquid electrical tape on the emitter connections (or cheaper and more readily-available nail polish).

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh... can't wait for the special k2 can use hotlip to come out next month...i gonna steal your tonight...sleep tight my little light...MUAHAHAA!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
idleprocess said:
I know my soldering technique is sloppy and I need to use some liquid electrical tape on the emitter connections (or cheaper and more readily-available nail polish).
Nice job, Idle! :twothumbs

Pink nail polish is the official color of CPF modders.