River Rock 2AAA 0.5W, too blue, too weak

There is a River Rock series that is identical to this Nuwai for $9.99 at Target.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

It claims to be a 0.5 watt light, but under real world conditions, it draws around 0.2 watts from the batteries. By under real world conditions, I'm excluding the initial boom of full output that lasts five minutes.

Current draw at 2.5v input (1.25v per cell) was only 80mA, which is 0.2W. Give the step up converter 85% efficiency and you're only getting 0.17W to the LED.

dim

Enlightened
The River Rock 2AAA is an OK flashlight, particularly, for $10. It's a good Mini replacement or ,at least, alternative, is quite good looking (I like the lithe, 2AAA form) in, either, black or silver, works well with NiMH batts and is a nice, inexpensive, flashaholic gift for, both, adults and kids.

Don't expect anything more then 10 lumens and, likely, less once the batteries have "settled". But when it's dark, those few lumens can be effective. Its small but useful spot provides a bit of throw and can put a little more light on a target. While its spill is not particularly bright, it's effective enough for navigating in the dark.

Because of the blue tone of its light, the .5w flashlight does not render colors, particularly, reds, greens, yellows etc., well - but despite this, it is far preferable to the yellow tone from a 2AA incan on all but the freshest of batteries.

After owning a RiverRock 2AAA for a while, I've finally begun to warm up to it and am using it more as of late.

As I've said, It's an OK flashlight for $10.

dim

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must agree with everything dim said about the RR 2AAA. Might even go so far as declaring it's the best $10 light out there now.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
I think that for $10 you are expecting a bit much. It's a fantastic light for $10, in a very pocketable size. For a lot of things I need a light for, the bluish tint is fine.

But it's not watertight, which worries me.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, the 0.5W Nuwai/RR lights are a great value for the money. I also have a TM-313X, the 1AA version which I really like...love the aesthetics, feel, and all. I recently made a Lux DD setup for it running off a 14500 LiIon...much brighter and whiter. The relatively large head of the TM-313X also allows it to throw quite far for the amount of light it makes, even better now with a Lux.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing wrote: "Current draw at 2.5v input (1.25v per cell) was only 80mA, which is 0.2W. Give the step up converter 85% efficiency and you're only getting 0.17W to the LED."

I got similar and even lower current draw readings - please see Post #9 in the review thread -

River Rock 0.5w 2AAA

It's a good light for the low price - comparable with the lights in similar class and even gives a good single cell 1watt LuxI (Fenix L1 v2.5) a good run for the its money.......

It has been very popular here on CPF -
and as a bunch CPF'ers are pretty discriminate, not much hype goes unchallanged -
so normally I TRUST the concenus view here....
However that does not mean one can't have an individual opinion......

I like the Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H) (comparison review linked) more because of the size and form factor.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I agree with the tone of the comments here on the RR2AAA, and it may be telling that those were *not* on sale or clearance, I bet Target sells a bunch of them. Since they are in the same price range as Minimags, and are smaller and cooler looking, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the best selling RRs at Tarjay.

I just ran into some guy at Target over the weekend lookin' at the 2AA and the 2C, and mentioned to him their spot characteristics. He said he wanted something to knock around with, and he had kids with him, so I recommended the 2AAA, small and cheap, with not bad light. He bought the last one on the shelf.

In my book, it don't hold a candle to the Fenixes, but they are almost quadruple the price!

daloosh

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of these lights too, in silver. That little River Rock is a good buy at $10 bucks.

rider

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering what advantages this light has to offer. I tried one out the other day, and wasn't particularly impressed with it compared to the reflectored inova X1. The inova is shorter (although a bit larger in diameter), lighter, has a longer runtime, a better finish, better switch, excellent lanyard provisions, and a better lens (assuming it doesn't fall out, anyway). The RR seems to have a slightly brighter and smaller hotspot than the inova, but the overall light output is extremely similar. The RR seems to rapidly fall off in brightness, so after 30 minutes, the inova is definitely outthrowing and outshining it.

I gave up and took the RR back to whence it came.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are very nice little lights to keep around the house, and for loaners. My wife likes one so much she has made it her purse light. She says it is thinner than my X1 even though it is longer so it takes up room. Hard to beat for the price.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
rider said:
I'm wondering what advantages this light has to offer. I tried one out the other day, and wasn't particularly impressed with it compared to the reflectored inova X1. The inova is shorter (although a bit larger in diameter), lighter, has a longer runtime, a better finish, better switch, excellent lanyard provisions, and a better lens (assuming it doesn't fall out, anyway). The RR seems to have a slightly brighter and smaller hotspot than the inova, but the overall light output is extremely similar. The RR seems to rapidly fall off in brightness, so after 30 minutes, the inova is definitely outthrowing and outshining it.

Keep in the mind the X1 costs $20 and the RR $10. Hard to compare these 2 lights.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackDecker said:
Keep in the mind the X1 costs $20 and the RR $10. Hard to compare these 2 lights.

Right. In addition, the reflectorized Inova X1 was not available until recently. Technology and expectations are always changing.

I've been spoiled by smaller and smaller Luxeon flashlights and have stopped buying anything dim and blue for now.

jarobi

Enlightened
the #1 reason to buy this light, IMO, is for a glovebox emergency light for family members. My mother had a 2AA dollar store special incan that would rarely work, and when it did a Photon (or clone) blew it away. I replaced it with the RR and she's ecstatic. It works when she needs it once or twice a year, and is way better than what she had. I change the batteries for her every six months.

DaveG

Enlightened
For $10 and some what easy to get your hands on one,not a bad light for the general public.My hats off to Target for bring some newer lighting products to average people, the non-flash light type.Two years ago,never thought I would see Inovas at a large chain store.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
compared to my fathers aaa maglite, this is a very solid light. and for 10 dollars i dont see how you could dislike it. Very sturdy and a very fine light. the SINGLE AAA version of this light, although cute, wassnt very impressive and that light left my collection very quick
-bobby

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there a requirement someplace that requires a manufacturer to drive the LED to it's full rated current draw? What would that do to the overall run time? How would that impact the demographics that this product is targeted to appeal to. Additionally, it seems to me that this light is intended to run on 2 1.5V AAA alkaline batteries (maybe even carbon-zinc, I'd have to check the package again), so the current draw for use with those primary batteries would be pretty high if the LED were to driven to a full .5W wouldn't it? I don't know if you're able to look at this from the perspective of a mainstream consumer, but if you are, consider how the consumer might feel if they only got about 2 hours of run time on two little batteries that costs about 80¢ when their last small flashlight was a MiniMag than run for 5 hours on a set of batteries that they were able to get at 40¢ a pair from Costco.

After all, this is a product that has been well received by the members of this site, for quite some time now. Odd that it doesn't meet your standards, though different people do have different needs.

Handlobraesing said:
There is a River Rock series that is identical to this Nuwai for $9.99 at Target.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

It claims to be a 0.5 watt light, but under real world conditions, it draws around 0.2 watts from the batteries. By under real world conditions, I'm excluding the initial boom of full output that lasts five minutes.

Current draw at 2.5v input (1.25v per cell) was only 80mA, which is 0.2W. Give the step up converter 85% efficiency and you're only getting 0.17W to the LED.

Brighteyez said:
I'm not sure I understand your point. Is there a requirement someplace that requires a manufacturer to drive the LED to it's full rated current draw?

Since when are we talking about the rated LED current? If the package states "0.5W", it is a reaonsable expectation to assume the light operates at 0.5watt. See the usage "0.5W" as opposed to "0.5W emitter".

What would that do to the over all run time? How would that impact the demographics that this product is targeted to appeal to. Additionally, it seems to me that this light is intended to run on 2 1.5V AAA alkaline batteries (maybe even carbon-zinc, I'd have to check the package again), so the current draw for use with those primary batteries would be pretty high if the LED were to driven to a full .5W wouldn't it?

Of course the run time wouldn't be as good, but it negates the meaning of "0.5W" if it isn't a representation of the product's real specifications. The voltage issue was implicatively addressed by exclusing the boom of high output that would quickly deplete to 75% or so in the first couple minutes where dI/dT is very steep.

After all, this is a product that has been well received by the members of this site, for quite some time now. Odd that it doesn't meet your standards, though different people do have different needs.
It has been mentioned here and there that the hue is very blue.

UnknownVT said:
Handlobraesing wrote: "Current draw at 2.5v input (1.25v per cell) was only 80mA, which is 0.2W. Give the step up converter 85% efficiency and you're only getting 0.17W to the LED."

I got similar and even lower current draw readings - please see Post #9 in the review thread -

River Rock 0.5w 2AAA

I use a 1 ohm resistor in series at the tail cap and measure the voltage across it to derive the current for low power LED lights. If you used an ammeter function on your DMM, the shunt resistance can be as large as 5-10 ohm and significantly affect the measurement.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
nakahoshi said:
compared to my fathers aaa maglite,
I actually prefer the AAA MiniMag when equipped with SMJLED, though of course that combo had better be preferable since it costs more than the RR. Whiter light, focusable and easier to switch on with one hand.

C4LED

Enlightened
rider said:

Here's an already existing thread that compared these two lights:

"Inova X1 Vs. RR 2AAA"

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110999