U2 or Kroma?

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls please tell me which is better?

U2 Ultra

or

Kroma

why?

What is the blue and red leds in the Kroma for?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the Kroma ain't out yet, so reviews have yet to be in. The Kroma looks like it's TIR based, to maximize throwing ability, but which limits the sidespill/flood. The red LEDs are there to preserve night vision. Deer and some other game can't see red light. The blue...to track blood maybe? Blood shows up black under blue light. The Kroma looks mainly to be a light for military or special civilian useage (hunters and such).

The U2 is a multi level light with good throw and usable side-spill. Much more "general" useage.

Miracle

Enlightened
Planterz said:
Well, the Kroma ain't out yet, so reviews have yet to be in. The Kroma looks like it's TIR based, to maximize throwing ability, but which limits the sidespill/flood. The red LEDs are there to preserve night vision. Deer and some other game can't see red light. The blue...to track blood maybe? Blood shows up black under blue light. The Kroma looks mainly to be a light for military or special civilian useage (hunters and such).

The U2 is a multi level light with good throw and usable side-spill. Much more "general" useage.

which has a better throw? U2 or Kroma?

which has more lumens?

:huh2:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the u2 is using a lux V and Lux V isn't friend with throw.(at least for now..)

so, the kroma using a lux III will have a better throw.(and the tir based optic will mean some good spot light beam)

Miracle

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
the u2 is using a lux V and Lux V isn't friend with throw.(at least for now..)

so, the kroma using a lux III will have a better throw.(and the tir based optic will mean some good spot light beam)

what is the meaning of:

TIR

carrot

Flashaholic
TIR is Total Internal Reflection -- it works like a prism to reflect light.

What do you intend to use the light for?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As long as the Kroma isn't out we won't be able to judge. Because of the greater luminous flux the U2 might hold its own in throw (has a bigger head and reflector, too) against the Kroma ... we don't know yet.
bernie

Miracle

Enlightened
I am a led torch newbie.

I am still trying to learn the technology/terms/ etc

currently my spec for a SF light would be

1) use rechargables
2) can run at 100++ lumens for 1++ hours at highest setting
3) run as long as possible on lower settings
4) good throw
5) should be able to blind if shine into eyes

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) U2 can use the cheap high capasity 18650 Li-ions, don't know about the Kroma
2) a U2 should put out about 100 lumen, the Kroma about 60+ Lumen
3) 40+ with a U2 on low, the Kroma will not put out white light that long, but can use the blue or red leds for probably a LOT longer than 40 hours..
4) The U2 has good throw for a LED light and has a very good beam for most tasks up to 30m the Kroma is supposed to have a balanced beam with good throw and spill. It will probably have better or as good throw as a U2.
5) Both will blind/dazzel you if shined in your eyes at close distance, but this doesn't make them (or any other flashlight) a good weapon. (without training and/or a gun..)

I have the U2 and I'm very happy with it, best general purpose flashlight on the market imho. You can get it for about $200 on BST on this forum from time to time.
I think the Kroma is more for people with special needs, but I'd still like to have one.... Hopefully for my wallet I'll show some restraint when it comes out ;)

If you are patient wait for the Kroma to get reviewed and make choose afterwards.

Just my 0.02

Size15's

Flashaholic
Without a doubt I would get the K2 over the U2.

The U2 is too big and too slow for me to use as EDC.
Why?

U2 bezel is a lot longer and heavier (more bulky) making it more difficult to carry pocket-clipped.

When you press the U2's TailCap switch you may not get high output.
When you press the K2's TailCap switch you get high output.

That's what it comes down to for me. When I need light I must have the flashlight on me, and when I need really need light I must have it instantly without having to adjust the TailCap or rotate some dial or navigate some options etc.

Certainly I would prefer the higher output of the U2 with it's broader beam but the K2 has a longer runtime and it does have useful surround beam unlike pretty much all the other TIR-based SureFires.

I don't care for the blue LEDs (the reds may be useful in some situations). I would prefer that the blue LEDs were replaced by white LEDs but the K2 is what it is (or more precisely, will be what it will be when it is released).

Al

Miracle

Enlightened
thankz for all the info.

the think that is putting me off from getting a u2 is its QA issues

:(

I hope with the Kroma, I dont have to test my luck when buying

tracker870

Enlightened
Well, like others, I'll anxiously await the Kroma reviews.
For now, I'll carry my U2 (no issues to report). Works great with the rechargeables, and fine down to 7F degr. (a frigid ski trip). Wearing ski gloves, I like the size of the U2.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
U2 bezel is a lot longer and heavier (more bulky) making it more difficult to carry pocket-clipped.
The bezel of the Kroma is indeed shorter than the U2's, but it is considerably wider. I think the wider bezel would make it a bit uncomfortable for pocket carry. I don't have any difficulties clipping the U2 to my pocket (it's not uncomfortable), although it is about as large of a light as I can comfortably carry clipped to my pocket.

Size15's

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
The bezel of the Kroma is indeed shorter than the U2's, but it is considerably wider. I think the wider bezel would make it a bit uncomfortable for pocket carry. I don't have any difficulties clipping the U2 to my pocket (it's not uncomfortable), although it is about as large of a light as I can comfortably carry clipped to my pocket.

The K2's bezel is the same diameter as the U2 (same as KL3/KL5/M2/8AX/8NX/L7 at 1.47 inches)

Al

Luna

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Without a doubt I would get the K2 over the U2.

The first time I read this I thought you said "Without a donut I would get the K2 over the U2." :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Al ... your arguments are stunning as usual ... :D ... but especially applicable for fast-drawing and using a light. Once it is out and switched on ... the U2 is far easier to use with the front-located selector ring and is more versatile than the K2, provided you don't need fancy colors. I think U2 it will be for me ... depending on my opinion once I am holding a K2 in my hands, of course!
bernie

marcspar

Enlightened
Is the U2 more likely to suffer the dreaded doughnut and off color led than the L4,L5,L6 series, or is it an equal risk across the line-up of Surefire 5w'ers?

Thanks,

Marc

greenLED

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
The K2's bezel is the same diameter as the U2 (same as KL3/KL5/M2/8AX/8NX/L7 at 1.47 inches)
Really? I could've sworn the Kroma's bezel was wider. :thinking: Must be an illusion from it being shorter. My previous point is moot, then. I appreciate the correction, Al.

Size15's

Flashaholic
No worries greenLED...

I hold SureFires so that my thumb is on the TailCap pressure switch. This is regardless of whether it is pocketclipped bezel up, or bezel down (that makes no difference to me in terms of grabbing it from my pocket). I find that this grip gives me the most flexibility for pointing the light at things.

I disagree with Bernie... By the time he's adjusted the U2's output to high I will have used the K2 to find what we're looking for! :nana: :p

I am a big fan of the two-stage pressure switch TailCap. With the U2 I only ever used the lowest output (which wasn't low enough) and the highest output (which wasn't high enough*)
(*for the U2's bulk, same goes for the L5 & L6 imho)

The K2's dial can be in any position and I can still get high output white using the two-stage switch. However, the K2's dial can be set to activate the main beam in low-output mode and as such becomes a flashlight that I believe could replace the L2 as my EDC. It is a shame SureFire didn't design it to my demanding requirements but I guess we all feel that way about the majority of flashlights (and everything else!)

Al

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
Why don't they just come out with a three-stage tailcap? Seems to me a low/med/high setting would be enough.