small red light

Numbers

Enlightened
I need recommendations for a small red led light that I can wear on a neck lanyard. The light will be used to read nautical charts at night, to preserve night vision. The light should be salt water resistant too. I originally thought I could use an e1L with red filter but I am not sure it is small enough or weather proof enough, and it may even bee too bright.
Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
You want something dimmable. The usual candidate (Rigel Skylite) has a water resistant version but might not be waterproof enough for you. The Gerber Infinity Ultra with a red led might be ok ("dim" it using a finger over the bezel) or for something more upscale, the Peak Matterhorn or Kilimanjaro in a low powered configuration.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local yachting Chandlers sells Red LED Infinity ultras for just this purpose. As long as the O-rings are kept well lubricated with silicon gel and you wash off the seawater/salt when you can I would think that they are very reliable for what you need.

Lots of luck...Bon Voyage!

carrot

Flashaholic

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might also consider a lug style Peak Matterhorn with one red LED for something very small sized. Also available in nautical brass.

Geoff

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best waterproof, dim red light for a salt environ would be the old CMG Infinity Task Light. Amazingly, they are still for sale at a retail level on this page for $17. It is not a dead page. When it came to my attention a month or so ago I emailed them inquiring about one of the old Infinities. I got a very prompt reply stating that the light listed was, in fact, in stock. (!) I ordered and they delivered on an Infinity I thought I'd never see at retail again. I'd dash off a note and check it out -- they won't be there forever.

IMO anything brighter than the Task Light for the stated purpose would be too bright -- even in red.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
infinity red would be an excellent light. but is not hard anodized. AA give 10+ hr runtime VS AAA gives 5+ house runtime. both are excellent lights!

ARC AAA red would be smaller and better. ARC AAA is HA for better salt enviroment resistance.

I've got one ARC AAA red available for $55 shipped conus.

arc aaa infinity.JPG