how do I tell the U2 in the shop is the latest batch?

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls please tell me how do I tell the U2 in the shop is the latest batch?

:huh2:

seaward

Newly Enlightened
The new batch will have a plastic sleeve where the batteries go and will have a rounder battery tube.

rycen

Enlightened
What does it matter if it is the newest one?Just pick one with a good tailswitch and nice tint and brightness.

seaward

Newly Enlightened
It really does not matter unless you plan on utilizing rechargeable batteries and then you will have to go thru the trouble to get the plastic sleeve out as the rechargeable batteries do not fit in the new style. Also, some people like me prefer the old battery tube and dull clip others the new.:grin2:

tracker870

Enlightened
The plastic tube comes out fairly easily, using freeze spray, or a basic food freezer. I used freeze spray from the lab, and it took maybe 3 mins.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Spacemarine said:
Not true. I have two Surefire U2, both are the newest version with 3 round sides and the plastic sleeve. But only one of them has a shiny clip.
You're saying my comment about the shiny clip is not true and yet you say you have one like that too? :confused:

My newest version U2, with plastic sleeve and round body has a shiny clip. My old U2, without plastic sleeve and round body had a dull clip. :thinking: Maybe they're migrating to shiny clips? Maybe they have a bin of dull and shiny clips and they put on whichever the SF assembly worker (or machine) grabs from the bin?

It doesn't really matter, the functionality is the same.

Last edited:

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
We need a Surefire FAQ with pictures of all these undocumented revisions to their flashlight models.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Chehalis said:
We need a Surefire FAQ with pictures of all these undocumented revisions to their flashlight models.

I would guess that not even SureFire would attempt to do such a thing. The team charged with such a task would likely go mad.

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
So what does the latest U2 model look like? Does it have a rounded body just like the latest A2 model? I thought the A2 was the only one that was changed.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
greenLED said:
You're saying my comment about the shiny clip is not true and yet you say you have one like that too? :confused:

You said that the U2s from the newest batch have a shiny metal clip. I said that this is not true, because only SOME of them have a shiny metal clip, not all of them. Sorry for causing any confusion...