acronyms and definitions

R

RitcheyRch

Is there a post or link that explains what some of these terms mean? I'm new and have no idea what you guys mean by regulated, protected, and all the other acronyms used on this site.

I found the link on the site that explains the acronyms and abbreviations. Still need explanation of regulated and protected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robban

Enlightened
Protected usually has to do with rechargeable batteries of the Lithium-Ion kind. These cells can be real nasty if not handled correctly such as overcharging, overDIScharging and shorting. They can "vent with flames" which basically turns a flashlight into a small bomb. The protection circuit in the protected variety helps to prevent this.

Regulated means that there's a small circuit inside the flashlight that the LED (there are regulated incandescents aswell but it is far less common) gets the correct voltage/current throughout the life of the battery. Light output will stay the same untill the battery can no longer supply enough juice, the output will then quickly drop off.

That's just a quick explanation, I'm sure someone will come along to explain further and correct any errors in my post.

Welcome to CPF! (hide your wallet)

R

RitcheyRch

Thanks and do appreciate the quick explanation. Yes, this site can be addicting.