Nuwai 1/2watt = sMJLED?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some speculative ponderings......

In Post #63 in this thread new lights at target
xochi wrote: "All of the ".5w" leds are 5mm. They just have the optic removed. I wouldn't be suprised if they are the exact same led as the SMJLED."

After some intitial skepticism, I thought he might just be on to something here....

Never really compared them closely -
but they do kind of look alike -
sMJLED_Nuwai05hds.jpg

The even more telling was this comparison beamshot when I complained about the new super MJLED being blue-tinted
in this review - super MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

super MJLED vs. the notoriously blue-tinted Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
sMJLEDNuwai05AAA.jpg
sMJLEDNuwai05AAA2U.jpg

Shykuang (the manufacturer of Nuwai lights) claims over 15 lumens for its TM-311H 1/2watt 2AAA (= River Rock 1/2watt 2AAA),
Lambda claims 15 lumens (@100mA max) for the super MJLED

Comments?

Anyone with more information?

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
You may have something there.

But the real question is; Who makes the SMJ led?

Also it is possible that Nuwai has switched TO the Super MJ led, replacing whatever was there before?

Also I find the blue tint of the SMJ to be much less annoying than the usual incan. yellow/orange. Blue is just a nicer colour, especially since I find it affects other colours less.
(gives a more 'natural' colour rendition)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You may have something there.

I remember being told by someone (don't remember who) that the SMJLED has 4 die while the Nuwai/SK 0.5W LEDs only have 3 die. I don't have an SMJLED, but I know the 0.5W LEDs have 3 die.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

jsr wrote: "I remember being told by someone (don't remember who) that the SMJLED has 4 die while the Nuwai/SK 0.5W LEDs only have 3 die. I don't have an SMJLED, but I know the 0.5W LEDs have 3 die."

Thanks jsr... now that you posted that I do now seem to recall reading something like that too
icon11.gif

I looked more closely with a magnifying glass at the LEDs - they do still look alike - even to the 4 wires - but I think I do see a sort of quadrangle tile layout in the sMJLED - whereas the layout on the Nuwai 1/2watt looked more like 3 tiled.
One can just make this out on the close-up photo in my opening post - they're like shadows in the center of the LED phosphor....
(and I don't think it's just suggestive imagination :D)

Many thanks for that input
icon14.gif

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

I am 100% sure the SMJLED has 4 die, while the Nuwai has 3 die. If you take the light and place it behind any focusing lens, you can see the number of die on a white wall.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just look at the LEDs through the lens through a small magnifying glass and can see the die. I did this to my 0.5W LEDs and saw that one of them had 1 of the 3 die burnt (oops, my bad). I'm sure that could be done with the SMJLED also.
I wonder if the SMJLED and 0.5W dice are the same as the 5mm dice (i.e. would 3x Nichia CSs equal the output of a 0.5W LED or 4x CSs equal an SMJLED when all driven equally?).

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Maybe the Nuwai lights are using the older version of the standard MJLED vs the super MJLED. Did the older versions labeled only as MJLED have 3 die in the LED? It seems like you can still order both types with the older version being a little cheaper I think.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and the SMJLED PR2 bulb and the Nuwai TM-310 and
the SMJLED PR2 is definately brighter than the TM-310, it also makes
the TM-310 seem very blue when put side by side