Recommend Tool Pouch Light

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My leather electrician's pouch has a wide holder that fits a thinner metal, 2D flashlight well, but 2D & 3C lights are larger than I prefer. I've been using Streamlight's Top Spot but after breaking two of them I'm looking for a good quality, bright, tough, "plastic" 2C or 4AA with a head large enough not to slip through the loop. I'd prefer a real switch so two handed head twisting isn't necessary.

Bright Star's 4AA & Pelican's Stealth have heads too small to keep from slipping through. Plastic 2D lights are too wide in the body. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from the dirth of responses to this and earlier queries, few of us use or carry lights in our tool pouches. Perhaps with the popularity of tool bags there's plenty of room for a big honkin' Mag...that or like most electricians, plumbers, tradesmen and installers of various ilks - we just don't carry lights on the job?! Is that possible?

Feel free to go OT on this thread - it could be amusing or informative. What are your thoughts?

drizzle

Enlightened
I don't carry a tool pouch around but I can recommend a plastic type 4AA flashlight that should hold up well. Streamlight 4AA Propoly Luxeon. Not sure if the measurements would work for you but it's a good solid light.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head must be at least 1&7/8 inches wide. The PT Surge looked like a possibility but BG apparently no longer handles it. Anyone know where I can get a Surge or are they discontinued?

drizzle

Enlightened
jayflash said:
The head must be at least 1&7/8 inches wide. The PT Surge looked like a possibility but BG apparently no longer handles it. Anyone know where I can get a Surge or are they discontinued?
4AA Propoly Lux is only a bit over 1 5/8 inches, so it looks like it won't work for you.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upon continuing consideration, I ordered a Surge. For some reason I always thought I'd like one but didn't actually need one. Happily, now I do.

Hurray!! Another flashlight, and it's one that I really need rather than just wanted. Last month it was a $2 bargain - an eight LED light, metal, with clickie, sheath & lanyard.

"One per month" is a likely motto and practice for many of us.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't usually use a tool pouch, but the shorts and pants I prefer (Carhartt Tool Pants -sadly no longer made) have a small pocket high on the right side that's made to hold the clip of a tape measure. It's just right for a CMG Ult Inf, which is good for working under a cabinet or like. The tool bag light is generally a Streamlight 4aa 7led -- plenty bright and great flood. If I need throw or lots of light, there's always several choices in the truck.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally the PT Surge arrived and it fits perfectly in my tool belt's 2D flashlight loop. Great shape, size, real (not twist head) switch, and MUCH brighter than the SL TopSpot which it replaces. Good name for this light because it gives a real surge of brightness.

I had to search a bit to find a dealer who carried the Surge and then it was backordered from the factory. I hope PT will make a lamp suitable for NiMH cells - maybe even a little brighter?! Just kidding...kinda, sorta, You know what I mean - right?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, six years later and I'm looking to upgrade my Surge. I've got two and found they're poorly made by today's standards, and the lamps burn out too fast.

Fenix makes a nice 4AA light (LD41?), but at 40mm at its widest, it'll slip through my leather light loop. I need a ~50mm/1.5", wide at the head, light. I'd prefer a plastic 4 or 8AA light, as I use it around electricity. Any suggestions, other than modifying my electrician's pouch? Thanks much.

I see this went into the General Topic Forum. Maybe it should be moved to the "Recommend" section.

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You may want to take a glance at the Fenix TK41 or the TK45 depending on how much throw/flood you need. I know the TK41 has a larger reflector so it might be better suited for your carry style, the only problem is the incredibly intense hotspot. If you need to have a flood light and the TK45 won't fit your holster, you can get the TK41 and the new diffuser being made for it. That should give you a nice upclose light on the lower modes.

Latest posts