Armilite Neo T3...now?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that folks have had there hands on this Armilite unit for a while, how is it holding up. It would make a compliment to my Q3 and Fenix unit.

chiphead

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I love mine! To my knowledge there is no brighter or throwier 1x123 light. I've had mine since January. My T3 is in my front pocket at all times. It is completely dependable. I replaced the stock reflector with a McR20. It has slightly less spill, a larger hotspot, and slightly better throw. The McR20 is a perfect drop-in replacement. No tweaking necessary.

It is only just starting to show wear. the sharpest corners are getting a little silver. The lens has one small scratch on it.

My only complaint is that the head is slightly slick. The shallow ridges around the head are not grippy enough. One-handed use is harder than it has to be when my hands are very dry. This is possibly due to the fact that I leave my O-ring slightly dry. I leave it that way to prevent the light from activating in my pocket. It has only done that once. I have tried a couple of things to enhance friction on the head, but have not found the ideal solution yet.

If I can retro-fit an Arc-style clip to it I will. It would be more comfortable if I could keep it high in my pocket instead of laying sideways at the bottom.

Berrnie

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
I love mine, too. It's by far my brightest small light and has the cleanest, whitest beam, too. And, it is the easiest to twist on. It's a little wider at the head than most mini torches, one inch, but is still a very convenient light. Highly recommended!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is holding up quite well, but I don't carry it.
I put a 3mm wide strip of bicycle inner tube around the head grooves at the bezel for much improved one hand grip. Only my FireFly 2 puts out more light in a 1x CR123 (only with RCR123 in the FF, though) at twice the price. I don't use it much, but still like it too much to sell it. It's one of my "show off" lights to demonstrate how good a small LED can be.
I use 3V RCR123's in it, which are a tight fit such that I have to pull the battery out by the button vent holes with a wire.

Pros: Bright, small, silky smooth twist (feels like a fluid joint), good beam with throw and spill, simple, reliable one level twist, looks great, hard anodized, brightest single cell for the money, overall high quality, still gets almost 1 hour runtime, makes you want whatever Amilite makes next, did I mention bright?

Cons: One hand ergonomics not great, sharp edges in pocket, anodizing missing from base of battery tube threads (visible), action almost too smooth, wouldn't want to risk 3.6(4.2)V RCR123's. FireFly on RCR's and HDS B60/85 will outperform it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Amilite Neo T3...now?

The E1L is much more of a narrow spot with less spill and less overall output.

AmiliteNeo T3 versus Surefire KL1 head E1L (according to FLR):
beam center: 1160 v. 1350
overall output: 2000 v. 3500

E1L is bigger (has a tail button switch) and has more run time ~50% more at 1:29 to 50% of initial output.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are having trouble with grip, 3M makes some "grip tape" that you can purchase from The Home Depot that will tenaciously adhere to your lights (it can be removed without damaging the finish) and you can cut it to fit in neat looking paterns if you desire.

This approach adds very little to the diameter but it does improve the appearance (if done properly) and adds substantial "gription".

I have this on the tailcap of my (2) Fenix L1P's and my L2P so that I can identify the tail cap easier when the light is in my pocket.

I also have this on my Inova's and my M3T.

This is also good for hard use folding knives as you can add it to the blade and make it easier to open when wet.

-Goatee

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originally Posted by :)>:
3M makes some "grip tape" that you can purchase from The Home Depot
I'm going to look for it in Home Depot. Where can I find it in there? What section? With what other type products.

I only ask because I think HD has the stupidest arrangement of merchandise. I almost never find what I'm looking for without asking. The flashlights for instance are between ladders and mailboxes in my local HD. I would have never found them.

Bernie

Sgtbjs

Newly Enlightened
Getting back to the T3, mine is excellent. I've carried mine pretty much daily since before Christmas, and it has only small signs of wear around the sharper edges. it puts out a fantastic amount of good quality white light for such a small tool. It looks good works well and feels pretty good in the pocket. The only thing that it is missing is dual stages, because i don't always need its high output, and longer runtime is always a good thing.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I love my AmiLite. Its very white/bright. I found a small plastic cap to keep the lens covered when not in use. Its just amazing to get this much brightness out of such a small package. :rock:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
I'm going to look for it in Home Depot. Where can I find it in there? What section? With what other type products.

I only ask because I think HD has the stupidest arrangement of merchandise. I almost never find what I'm looking for without asking. The flashlights for instance are between ladders and mailboxes in my local HD. I would have never found them.

Bernie

I cannot remember... I think it was in the section near the spray paint. If I could figure out how to post some pictures, I would photograph some lights with it and show you what it looks like. My Inova X1 looks great with it but it also adds nice character to my black and green HAIII lights too.

-Goatee

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I participated in a Neo T3 passaround, and it's a fun little light. Damn bright too. Its runtime might appear to be short, especially if you expect to take long walks at night with it, but in the 2 weeks I had it, playing around with it both indoors and out, for a few minuetes at a time, I never drained the SF battery I stuck in it. So it'd be just fine in a purse or by the back door for quick tasks.

However, I myself won't be buying one. There's a few reasons for this, and coincidentally (or perhaps not), it's because my Fire-Fly III beats it out for each reason.

1. Size. Yes, it's a small light, but the FF3 is smaller. Obviously this is because of the comparitivly gigantic reflector of the T3, but despite the smaller reflector, output/throw with the FF3 matches (or beats--barely--on burst mode) the T3. Reportedly the McR 20 reflector is a perfect drop-in in the T3, and improves throw. If I win the passaround raffle, it's getting a new reflector.

2. No rechargables. This is the biggest killer for me. Not only is it not reccomended since you'd fry the light, it's impossible; they don't even fit. A pocket rocket with this kind of Wow Factor begs to be used, and given the runtime, this could be an expensive light to run if you expect to use it daily (er, nightly).

3. No low mode. As more and more new lights come out, the less interest I have in lights without at least 2 output levels. IMO, except perhaps to keep costs down, there's no excuse anymore for single level lights. But IMO, multi-level output more than justifies the cost, since you're getting a more useful light. For example, if you have 2 different lights, one with low output but long runtime, and one with high output but short runtime, and they both cost $50, you're better off buying a $100 light with 2 output levels. And since both modes are combined in the same light (making it more useful), you're getting more than twice the flashlight than either single-level lights.

Which is why I prefer the Fire-Fly III over the Neo T3. I've got 3 output levels, including a low mode that quite often is all I need. WIth the T3 you're stuck with a rather bright light, which might be way too much.

Still, the Neo T3 is a very well made light. Regulation is pretty good; the gradual dimming is pretty much unnoticable by the eye unless you compare it side by side with one with a battery. The anodization is extremely hard (and almost feels like it's teflon coated--you're not going to scratch this light). The threads are like greased butter.

But unless you're unwilling to pay the extra cost, the Fire-Fly III is a superior light all around.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine is holding up like a champ. Great HA3. Great overall output, and nice spill. There is still something to be desired in terms of throw. Mine turns too easily, and it turns on when i walk, it drains my batts, and since i cant use r123s, it is hurtin my wallet.

-David

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Planterz, except that some 3V RCR123's do fit. Though tightly. I have had 3.0Volt regulated RCR123's in mine (from BatteryJunction) for about three weeks now. I have to pull the battery out with pliers (I actually thread a paperclip through the top button vent holes to get a grip on it), but it is running low cost and low guilt...
I SO wish it had a simple two level switch, but it is still a good light for grabbing on the way outside or to the garage.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the consumption on the amilite.... it looks really easy to mod with a k2, but i want to make sure it will make a difference.

-David