Good first light for a girlfriend?

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
So my girlfriend thinks my 2C ROP is pretty cool and darn bright. Not being into gadgetry very much this is an excellent sign. After we had a bit of a scare/bump in the night last night she wants her own 'bedside' flashlight for poking around and bathroom trips. Her birthday is coming up which gives me a good opportunity to share the light with an uninitiated. I don't think the ROP is appropriate because she'd have to deal with unprotected rechargeables. Any thoughts on a good, reliable, bright and possibly rechargeable flashlight for midnight prowls around the house? Incan or LED ideas are welcome. Here's what I've got already as a reference:

2C ROP
3D M*g
Arc AAA-P
Brinkman Maxfire
River Rock lantern
Misc Petzl & BD headlamps

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
In the past I might have suggested the cheap route and said get a Dorcy 1AAA. Since she's shown some interest in flashlights you might instead consider one of the new Inova X1's. Plenty bright for general use and its nice design makes it look more expensive than its $20 price.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd suggest Fenix L1p. I can tell you from experience that chicks dig those. If you want something that's rechargeable and brighter, Streamlight Strion. Anything past that is way too bright for going to the can at night.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 4AA for bedside; killer flat discharge, and plenty bright (under $30)
- Photon Freedom for keys

Edited: this flashlight better not be her primary gift; chicks need stuff that shows what a swell guy you are - dinner, flowers, something you've made that she can show her friends, blah blah.

:clap:

cheers

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
How about a Silver RAW ;)

On a more serious note I think that one of the more down to earth RAW versions from Orb (the 1W perhaps) might be something to consider. Small, very nice looking, two stage with plenty of light on high (although short runtime in that mode of course).

Rando

Enlightened
How about one of those shake lights? I don't know about you, but I love to watch my girlfriend charge hers.:whistle:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
Edited: this flashlight better not be her primary gift; chicks need stuff that shows what a swell guy you are - dinner, flowers, something you've made that she can show her friends, blah blah.

Exactly what he said. You need to get here a Raw Ns with pink trit! Now that would be perfect! But dont give it to her as a gift, give it to her unwrapped at dinner. Pull it out of your pocket like its not a big deal and say, "Oh here's a light I picked up for you. Its small bright and rechargable. And that little pink bar glows for years and years so you can find it at night. I love you baby."

You'll have a good night after that.... :naughty:

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:

Oh yeah, I got that covered. Trust me.

Good suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

Apparently somebody needs to bring me up to speed on the Raw. I keep hearing about them but I don't know what it is. Is there a master thread around somewhere? *edit* looking at their website now. Is there a US retailer?

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
mattyg said:
Oh yeah, I got that covered. Trust me.

Good suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

Apparently somebody needs to bring me up to speed on the Raw. I keep hearing about them but I don't know what it is. Is there a master thread arouns somewhere?
There ya go :)
http://www.theorb.co.uk/orbraw.php

There are also threads about the lights in the Manufacturers corner.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re L1p elaboration: I showed my L1p to a friend and she wanted one immediately. She tried (by hinting very strongly but not coming right out and asking) to get me to give her mine on the spot. I told her I'd buy her one. I still need to do that. She wanted it to use at her job but she quit the job, so it's become less urgent.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say a shiny-silver River Rock 2xAAA if she's only using it for bathroom trips or purse carry.
Anything more powerful, try and hunt down a silver Fenix L1. Oh, and good luck on THAT!

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
I'm sort of leaning towards the L2P right now. I know it's not real 'sexy' per se, but she likes the ROP and that's about as sexy as a rock. I also think she'd use the light a lot more if it's powered by a common cell like the AA. I don't see her hunting down 123s or CR2s to power her 'torch', as she calls it. I wish the Fenix had a built in trit locator, I think she'd really dig that feature. Any way to apply something like that after purchase (aside from those glowstickies)?

Also, any thoughts on how to get one before next weekend (the 28th is her bday)?

carrot

Flashaholic
mattyg said:
I'm sort of leaning towards the L2P right now. I know it's not real 'sexy' per se, but she likes the ROP and that's about as sexy as a rock. I also think she'd use the light a lot more if it's powered by a common cell like the AA. I don't see her hunting down 123s or CR2s to power her 'torch', as she calls it. I wish the Fenix had a built in trit locator, I think she'd really dig that feature. Any way to apply something like that after purchase (aside from those glowstickies)?

Also, any thoughts on how to get one before next weekend (the 28th is her bday)?
Try this: http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=25_27

IIRC, the Fenix L2P is not all that much brighter than the L1P, and if you don't want to use the above aftermarket bodies (or need the extended runtime), the L1P would be a better choice, given its smaller size (more likely to be carried places).

I was under the impression that the Orb Raw came with a rechargeable battery or two?

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
IIRC, the Fenix L2P is not all that much brighter than the L1P, and if you don't want to use the above aftermarket bodies (or need the extended runtime), the L1P would be a better choice, given its smaller size (more likely to be carried places).

I don't think that EDC is going to play a part in this purchase. The GF is probably going to keep this in her bedside stand so long runtime and ease of cell replacement/purchase are first order. I also think the 2LP is a little longer and easier to grab than the little stubby.

If she takes to this light I'll probably look into getting her an ARC or an L0P for her keychain.

Last edited:

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting my girl a G2 to get her started on the SureFire road.