Where has the Dorcy 3-D super 1-watt gone?

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
None of my local Targets had the Dorcy 3-Ds at the sale price.
So where are they now? Were they on clearance because Dorcy has something better coming? Or maybe Dorcy is bowing out of the race in advance of the Mag light roll-out?

These were amazing, even at $21.99. A real throw monster on standard batteries, with a long runtime.

WNG

Enlightened
None of the half-dozen Targets I visited in 2 states had any left. It's pretty convincing that Target is removing similar product from their inventory in preparation for Mag's LED lights. It appears only configurations that Mag won't be making are still being made available (ie. CR123a Dorcy).

I speculated this a few months ago and was subsequently shot down for rumor mongering. Uhhhh, so where else would people discuss these topics but on a flashlight forum?
Well, the speculation seems to be pointing that way.

I'm expecting to see further clearances on RR, Dorcy, and Inova products.
IMO, RR products are going to be phased out under the premise that Mag brand recognition will cause more to be moved off the shelves. Similarly priced Inovas will also not move off the shelves for the same reason.
I think only Eveready and Rayovac products will remain to cover the cheap end and specialty variety, due to their influence power as companies.
They also sell batteries (@Target), the other brands don't and have less grounds to negotiate.

We've seen almost every RR product being sold at clearance prices.
I'm hoping the RR lanterns will be clearanced next.
:)

Rando

Enlightened
I picked one up a few weeks ago, and you're right. Great light. It was on clearance for around four bucks if I remember correctly. Haven't seen any in all the Target's I've been to since. Lowe's has them, but they're somewhere over $20.

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I also think that River Rock lights will be phased out of Target stores to make room for the new LED Maglights. Personally, I don't know why Mag should even bother putting out LED flashlights now except to say "me too" and jump on the LED bandwagon, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare to existing drop in modules and other LED flashlights in their class. Who knows? if Mag can successfully whore out their LED products across all hardware and discount store chains the way they've done with their standard lights, it may very well mark the doom of incandescent bulbs sooner than anticipated.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right! That's why they're not clearing out the Mag incandescents.
It would appear to me that this "speculation" is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Seems to me that the only thing that is being changed is the use of the PR LED Lux3 as the primary bulb. You guys do know that they're still going to have Krypton bulb in the tailcap as a spare don't you? Not a bad idea though, given the construction. At least you'll be able to do that with the Mag, whereas people who use the Diamond LED modules have long since forgotten where their bulb collar might be.

Apollo said:
it may very well mark the doom of incandescent bulbs sooner than anticipated.

WNG

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
It would appear to me that this "speculation" is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Seems to me that the only thing that is being changed is the use of the PR LED Lux3 as the primary bulb. You guys do know that they're still going to have Krypton bulb in the tailcap as a spare don't you? Not a bad idea though, given the construction. At least you'll be able to do that with the Mag, whereas people who use the Diamond LED modules have long since forgotten where their bulb collar might be.

Time will tell.
There is no reason for Mag to clear their incan's. Their marketing has cornered that share in the public's mind as to what a premium flashlight is. They are priced at where the market will bear. They can't charge more for one. And there will always be people who wouldn't pay more than $1.99 for a flashlight.
This segment is abandoned.
But to charge more, they must have a gimmick/feature to move their sizeable market share to 'upgrade'. LEDs will yield a nice profit margin if marketing pulls it off again. Just like soccer moms convinced the best way to shuttle their kids in safety is a 3-ton SUV, Mag's reputation of 'the best flashlight you can buy' will convince many to switch over. Afterall, a 3W Lux offers a lot of WOW factor the first time one turns it on.
The general public is still in the 'dark' about LEDs. And once something new hits the mainstream, everyone will want in, and the mentality will be 'this one is the must have.'

To throw fuel into the fire as to why Mag is taking so long to join the bandwagon....lawyers....patents. If there's anything they know is litigation. A simple drop-in that's too similar to an existing offering will cause lawsuits, and they can't get a patent issued.
They have the money, and the clout to muscle retailers and small makers.

The only thing keeping them regulated is off-shore makers have them beat on pricing. But marketing can counter most of it.

As for the Diamond drop-in.....
Uhhh, honestly, what so mentally challenging about keeping the collar???
Slip the damn thing over the bulb and store both in the tail cap.
Nuff' said.

Walt175

Enlightened
I went to my local Lowes on Sat looking for the lighted spray nozzle. I didn't find any nozzles, but did see the 3D 1watt there. $27 and change plus tax! I'm REALLY glad I managed to find one at Target!

Dawg

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:

When I installed my Diamond LED I took the bulb that came out and placed that and the collar in the tailcap, so I would not lose it.:)