Review of ElektroLumens Blaster 1R

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really impressed, all I can say is wow. It uses 1W Luxeon, same as my StreamLight Junior Luxeon, but the throw is amazing. The beam is very tight, and I like tight beams, if you need to focus on something.

It takes 2D regularly available batteries..

The built quality seems to be real high. It's all metal, I don't like plastic or polymer stuff, as I don't know how it reacts to heat/cold longer term. This one is some serious business, you can probably run over it with a truck.

Again, to compare it to my SL Junior Lux, it's the same power, but more focused and apparently with longer run time (8 hours vs. 1-2 hours).

The clickie has instant-on, which is a neat feature.

This is not the light you want for reading, and maybe not even for indoors. It doesn't have much flood, but all about throw.

The batteries inside seem to be slightly loose, apparently side-to-side, (looser than in my other light, StreamLight TwinTask 2D) but it's not a real problem. I am real picky, so I wrapped them in about 6" of paper length-wise before insertion and it went away.

It is a big light, you cannot carry it in your pocket, (I think I could fit it in my rear jeans pocket, but only temporarily)

IMO, everything about it is just right, is my initial impression.

I give 5/5 even though I haven't seen long term performance.

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-1R/Blaster-1R.html

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few days, I would have to say it's only downside is its weight. It's built like a tank. Will probably last not for decades, but centuries. The outer shell at least.

I have about 5 other LEDs but find myself grabbing the blaster when needing an LED.. for quality of light and ease of turning on.

dvd

Newly Enlightened
etc said:
After a few days, I would have to say it's only downside is its weight. It's built like a tank. Will probably last not for decades, but centuries. The outer shell at least.

I have about 5 other LEDs but find myself grabbing the blaster when needing an LED.. for quality of light and ease of turning on.

Great looking light, thanks for the review. The product page contradicts itself when it comes to runtime.. Does this light take 8 hours to reach 50% brightness, or 24 hours? I'm thinking 8 plus 16 hours in moon mode, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I've looked at Wayne's web page on this light a few months ago and arrived at the conclusion that there are actually two lights with the same part number. One has the Lux 1 with 24 hours of brightness and the other a Lux 3 with 8 hours of brightness. As for what you get when you order, YMMV.

javafool

Enlightened
The current batch of Blaster 1-R flashlights draw approximately 1,000 mA of current from the battery. I checked the Energizer web page and their D batteries are rated at 20,500 mAh capacity. Using these numbers I would expect 16 to 20 hours of good, bright, light.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.

If 1W Luxeon is pretty bright, I wonder how nice the 3W version is?

Also it's logical to assume the 3W would have 1/3 the run time?

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish it was 16-20 hours.

if you look at silverfox alkaline D size test results a 1amp load will give you between 5-7 hours total.

go down to the dorcy and Energizer max 1amp test results on the link below.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64660

I have an Blaster 1R, and have just ordered an Badboy 400 to see if i can get better runtime.

A luxeon 1 watt only pulls 350ma, the regulator is using the other 650ma.

their must be a better way, I think a 3D direct drive is the most efficient way.

regards.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
wayne points out the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtang
Do you think this light will take 3C batts without cookong the emitter?

It will, but the tailcap needs some machining to make them fit.

Wayne

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
Thanks for the info.

If 1W Luxeon is pretty bright, I wonder how nice the 3W version is?

Also it's logical to assume the 3W would have 1/3 the run time?
I have an EL Hyper-Blaster (Lux III) and I love it. It's very similar to the one on sale. (I think)
  • Same Host
  • Same optic
  • I think the runtime is in the same ballpark. I've never run mine on alkys but I get over 6 hours of really good light from a pair of 9500mAH NiMHs.
One difference may be the driver. The Hyper-Blaster uses the Hyper-Circuit which Wayne didn't come out with until well after the B1R came out. IIRC the Hyper-Circuit has a low voltage cutoff that shuts the light down before damage is likely to be done to rechargeables.

As far as the difference in the emitters goes, I don't think it's as big as it may seem. For a while it was so hard to get Lux Is in decent tints that Wayne stopped using them alltogether. He used the Lux III in the Hyper-Blaster and even in the way-throttled-back XM-3 (2xAA) because they were whiter and much more consistant from piece to piece than the Lux Is were. So, I don't think it was ever about power.

This may not ALL be right. I'm sorry if I've gotten any of the parts wrong. I think most of it is pretty close, though. I welcome corrections.

I think it's a great deal. I turned my brother on to this deal and he got one, too.

Last edited:

Rommul

Enlightened
etc said:
I am really impressed, all I can say is wow. It uses 1W Luxeon, same as my StreamLight Junior Luxeon, but the throw is amazing. The beam is very tight, and I like tight beams, if you need to focus on something.

It takes 2D regularly available batteries..

The built quality seems to be real high. It's all metal, I don't like plastic or polymer stuff, as I don't know how it reacts to heat/cold longer term. This one is some serious business, you can probably run over it with a truck.

Again, to compare it to my SL Junior Lux, it's the same power, but more focused and apparently with longer run time (8 hours vs. 1-2 hours).

The clickie has instant-on, which is a neat feature.

This is not the light you want for reading, and maybe not even for indoors. It doesn't have much flood, but all about throw.

The batteries inside seem to be slightly loose, apparently side-to-side, (looser than in my other light, StreamLight TwinTask 2D) but it's not a real problem. I am real picky, so I wrapped them in about 6" of paper length-wise before insertion and it went away.

It is a big light, you cannot carry it in your pocket, (I think I could fit it in my rear jeans pocket, but only temporarily)

IMO, everything about it is just right, is my initial impression.

I give 5/5 even though I haven't seen long term performance.

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-1R/Blaster-1R.html

How does the size compare to a 2d Mag?

Also do the optic project the square shape of the phosphor on the led?

BTW thanks for sharing your impressions.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Blaster 1r today and it is typical of Wayne's lights....built like a tank and excellent workmanship! I really like this one with the 8 hrs. of bright light followed by 16 hrs of light. Very nice light!!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best feature is that this is the first LED I have seen that has great throw, much like a MagLite, except brighter, and better of course.

I was able to test the throw only about 30'. I am sure it can go even farther. That's the amazing part.

All my other LEDs are "flood" and I really wanted a throw light, and this is it.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
move this thread to Reviews?

Here is a pic. It's 2nd from left:

Left to right:

StreamLight TwinTask 2D, ElektroLumens Blaster 1R, MiniMaglite 3AA 3W, StreamLight TwinTask 3AA, Mini-Maglite 2AA, StreamLight Jr. Luxeon, and the headlamp is 1W Princeton Tec.

many1.jpg

In this pic you can see it has excellent throw. This is at about 6ft.

elektro1.jpg

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Now that you have me interested, Wayne said in an email to me he is no longer doing the Blaster series.............................................................

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the release of the Mag LED modules, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to be making that light (especially if he has to give them away at $20.) He's probably better served devoting his efforts towards designs that are not currently available in the mainstream consumer market.

MikieHead said:
Now that you have me interested, Wayne said in an email to me he is no longer doing the Blaster series.............................................................

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blaster 1R and Maglite 3AA

el1.jpg

el2.jpg

el3.jpg

Blaster on the left, Maglite 3AA on the right... at about 3.5ft.

el4.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very funny. I never drew any conclusions from this comparison, if you notice, and didn't endorse anything. The review was of the Blaster, I included a well known MagLite for size comparison purposes.

In fact, if anything, the Mini Maglite wins it, IMO due to being much lighter and more portable, much closer to the everywhere-light.. Price is, or was the same. anyway the Blaster series are not available, you cannot get one, so it's a moot point?

( You can however get better, brighter lights at ElektroLumens, but they won't have the run time of the Blaster, I suspect )

But I will do a comparison of Maglite 4D LED vs. Blaster (Sorry but that's all I have) once I install that upgrade module.