Review of StreamLight Twin Task

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had it for some months and had no issues with it.

First, the StreamLight Twin Task 2D model.

It does not have throw, rather flood. It's the light you want if you want to read, or look at a wider area.

It has 10 LEDs (5mm?) and one Xenon bulb. It has 3 modes: 1 click turns on 5 LEDs, the second 10 and the 3rd will turn on the bulb. The first 2 modes have no throw at all. The 3rd does have throw, it's yellow and doesn't appear to last very long time wise.

I think the advantage of this light is if you want run time. I haven't really tested it time-wise but I replace the batteries maybe once every 4-8 weeks with light and occasional use.

The fit/finish and buld quality is excellent.

The batteries do not rattle inside at all.

The only serious downside to this light is that you have to click it several times to run it off, or on. Example: I like the 10 LED mode so it takes me 2 clicks to get there and 2 clicks to cut it off. It gets very annoying after a while. Since I haven't had any quality or perfmance issues with it, I keep using it. But it's a dumb design, I would rather just have one mode with 10 LEDs and be stuck with it.

If you want to quickly turn your light off, and you are in Mode 1 with 5LEDs, you have to click it 3 times. This can be a liability. Turning it on will always land you in Mode 1, even if you want Xenon or Mode 2.

The Xenon bulb mode is pretty useless, it's yellow and not really bright IMO. (Not in the same league as the 1W Luxeon 2D)

The lense is some kind of plastic and appears to be easily scratchable.

This is the light to keep in your car for an emergency, just overall use.

2) Now the Twin Task 3AA Light.

Pretty much the same thing as above, except it uses 3 LEDs and has 1 Xenon bulb and 3 smaller AA batteries. It's long and thin. Again, the same poor design where you have to click-click to get it to work. I don't use the bulb mode so it's of no use to me. Maybe others will disagree and if it most useful. I would rather just have the LEDs and no bulb. But if you like different modes -- it's a feature, not a bug.

Quality, fit and finish, is top notch.

The head is rather big, and if you carry it in your jeans, it will stick out. Not really a carry light, too big for that, but maybe not the best to keep in your car, it kind of falls in between.

Run time is pretty good with LEDs, but not sure how much.

Neither one has instant on, a real useful feature.

Neither one had adjustable beam.

Both are made of some kind of alloy. Possibly aluminum but not sure.

The turn on switch is annoying but the run time with LEDs is supposed to be good.

I would subjectively rate them as 4/5.

Latest posts