Review of StreamLight Jr. Luxeon

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are "tons" of posts on StreamLIght Jr. Luxeon but I thought I would add my 2 bits.

I've 2 of them. Both 1st generation. I lost the first one, and liked it so much I had to get another one.

It's a nearly perflect light. Everything about it is just right: Size, brightness. Quality/fit/finish is top notch.

The 1W Luxeon is very bright. It's a good balance between flood and throw, I would say more flood. It takes 2AA batteries.

It's a perfect carry light, I carry mine almost everywhere.

The only thing is, if you wear pants and seat down some place, it can easily slip out from your pocket. It's very slim and you won't notice. This is how I lost mine. In jeans, it's however very secure.

The only serious down side to this light is the run time, it's rather short, between 1-1.5 hours. This is the price to pay for compactness. I think 2nd gen has better run time but no experience with it.

The lense is some kind of cheap plastic which easily scratches, but doesn't appear to hurt anything.

It's very bright for its size. Impressively bright. Size effeciency is highest I've seen.

It's about the size of older Mini-MagLite.

It has instant on feature, though I haven't used it lately.

No problems with anything....

If you carry this with you while camping or something, put expensive AA batteries in it and bring lots of spares, you will need them, as it will cycle through batteries with heavy use in no time at all. I would probably take a lower-powered light if I needed more run time, like my StreamLight TwinTask with 5mm LEDs (though I don't have any solid deltas on run time, perhaps someone will be kind enough to post)

One real neat feature of this light is that it's light enough to be held in your teeth, say you are stranded in the middle of nowhere and need to change your tire in the dark. It's light enough to do that. It's sort of practical. Run time would be only reservation with this light.

It's supposed to be water proof but I haven't tested it.

It's my first LED, I got it after I got fed up with Mini MagLite blowing bulbs every week.

I rate it 4.5/5.

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
I too am a closet Jr.Lux fan:grin2:!! It was the light that started it all for me as well. Since then I've acquired a 1.25W Coast LED-Lenser V2, several moded mini-mags, an ARC AAA-P, a 2nd Gen Jr.Lux, and of course an L1P. It may just be a freak light, but my origional Jr.Lux is the best light of the bunch. It just edges out the L1P in throw and has much better spill. It also has the whitest light of the bunch(makes the L1P look yellow). I'm always searching for something to beat it in overall efficiency(in compact common battery config), but so far my searches have gotten me nowhere... great little light!

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
ETC, as far as your run time issue, I've been running 2300mAh Energizers in my Jr.Lux for the last 2 years without any problems. I don't have exact figures, but my run time increased considerably(my guess would be 2hrs+). Streamlight however, says not to use lithiums or NiMhs so use at your own discretion:sssh: .

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the exact differences between 1st and 2nd generation SL Jr. Luxeons?

How much is run time increased?

How much is lumens reduced?