Regulator in Dorcy Metal Gear?

thematrix

Newly Enlightened
Hello-

I, like many others, find the Dorcy Metal Gear case to be pleasing (minus the crappy belt clip made of REGULAR steel) but the contents lacking.

I've read numerous threads regarding modding this light, but none talking about adding regulation to it. There is sufficient space inside for additional components...is there some other reason no one has done this?

TM

thematrix

Newly Enlightened
I saw your post, but I guess I overlooked that part. I've been involved in electronics all my life, but I'm very new to all this flashlight stuff. In my mind I should be able to pop in a LM317, but according to National's specs, that needs at least ~4V input. Do you, or anyone, know of any regulation circuits recommended for use in this circumstance?

Thanks.

TM

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Dorcy single AAA in one and bypassed the output resistor and pound it with a 3.7 volt LI-Ion Rechargeable for extra damage. Suprise it hasn't smoked yet.

thematrix

Newly Enlightened
trivergata, right, but what happens when the batteries drop that half a volt and go below the minimum input threshold? Will the regulator just begin to drop its output, or will it completely stop? Perhaps I should experiment for myself...

legtu

Enlightened
thematrix said:
In my mind I should be able to pop in a LM317, but according to National's specs, that needs at least ~4V input. Do you, or anyone, know of any regulation circuits recommended for use in this circumstance?

Unfortunately, an LM317 also requires a ~2.5v working voltage in addition to its output voltage. Eg. If your LED vf is ~3.2v, you need ~5.7v input.

Also consider that alkalines(especially AAA's) won't hold their rated 1.5v under medium-heavy loads.

With 3-cell setups, I'd recommend using an LDO. :)