Durabuilt Rechargeable Luxeon at Target... any good?

zulu45

Enlightened
I was in Target yesterday, and I saw a flashlight that I've never seen before, for about $35 (give or take a bit). It was from a company called Durabuilt, and was a rechargeable Luxeon I light. It included a zipper case, and even a car charger. Any information about this light?

EDIT: I'm trying to decide on what light to get next. After my experiences with the Dorcy Super 1 Watt Luxeon, I'm definately going to get a Luxeon light. I've been thinking of getting the Streamlight ProPolymer 3C, but no places around here have it, though one may have it in a week. I'm looking to keep it under $60, though I may just bite the bullet and get the KL3 for my 6P. I'd really like a standalone one, though, for emergancy use.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Durabuilt that I have are a couple of the crank lights from Costco (seems to be about the same as most of the crank lights on the market.) If you don't mind the size and you're considering the Propoly 3C, I just don't think you can go wrong with it. While you can get quite a bit better output from the LEDBeam 3C, with both having approximately the same run time, the construction and the company backing that you would get with a PP3C would kind of weigh the scale in their favor.

EDIT:Oh, one thing if you decide to go with the ProPoly 3C. It won't work with most of the lower cost Chinese C sized NiMH batteries that are on the market; the button on those batteries is too big to fit into the slot positive connection on the lamp assembly. You might have to put a disc or something at that connector to ensure contact with the battery. It works fine with primary alkaline batteries though.

Last edited:

Padge

Newly Enlightened
I bought one and returned it. (Note if you do buy one, don't try to unscrew the 12v plug....) :whistle:

I picked it up along with a Dorcy Super 1 Watt 1xCR123.

The Durabuilt has a brighter, but smaller, spot and better throw than the Dorcy, this is most likely due to the deeper reflector. (19mm x 19mm vs. 12mm x 18mm)

It uses 3 x rechargeable AAA's (sorry, I didn't remove the shrinkwrap to see what type.)

Build quality was a cheap, but if you don't try to disassemble it, it should last.

I've got some pictures I'll post this evening.

Padge

Newly Enlightened
The packaging claims a 4 hour runtime.

I promised pictures, but I will warn you, I have a pretty crappy digital camera with no adjustments.....

In the box...
Packaging.JPG

Ready for action...
Ready.JPG

Light on...
TurnedOn.JPG

Plugged into the charger...
Charging.JPG

My office wall. At one meter.
BlankWall.JPG

And a bit of comparison...
Durabuilt on the left, Dorcy Super 1Watt 1xCR123
DBLeftDS1WRight.JPG

zulu45

Enlightened
I wonder three things, though... actual run time, lux, and regulation.