New KL1 not working correctly

FredM

Enlightened
If the cells are reading around 3.0 terminal volts or less it starts very dim when first lit. Then flickers for about 2 seconds and slowly increases brightness.

With brand new cells of 3.2V it does not do this. I called SF and got a RA number. This is my first bad experience with a SF product. I;m guessing the circut is bad or something. Any other ideas?

I didn;t like the tint anyways. Yellow to orange on the edges :(

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Fred,

I experienced the same with my first KL1 on a Vital Gear FB-1 body. Turned out to be dirty threads and a slightly "slack" spring in the switch. With clean threads and after pulling out the spring a bit, it worked perfectly again.
The "coloring" around the edges (provided it's a very thin edge) seems to be normal for the KL1.
Of course there could be something wrong with your KL1, I'm just saying what worked for me!

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Porcupine took the words out my mouth. Clean all contacts, stretch the spring a little and try other sets of batts. The "effects" on the sides of the beam are part of the TIR, not much you can do to change that unless you want to do some major modding (and void the warranty while you're at it).

FredM

Enlightened
The spring works fine right now for my KL4 head so Im reluctant to mod it.

Yeah the optic tends to "prism" out some color but my other KL1 has a nice blue tint.