Those Cool 80's Cartoons!

Santelmo

Enlightened
I grew-up in the 80's and have many fond memories of the music ("New Wave", Tears for Fears, Lotus Eaters, China Crisis, etc.), but that's for another thread.

What gets me pumped up even today were the cartoons too! I remember here in the late 70's-early 80's, before the "anime" trend, it was the Japanese "giant robots" like "Voltes V", "Grandizer" and "Mazinger Z" (Tranzor Z I think in the US?) that conquered TV. Then later the US ones like "Superfriends", "The Transformers" and "MASK". Makes me warm and tingly inside!

What was yours?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Centurions, Visionaries, Thundercats, MASK, Transformers, Silverhawks, Prince Valiant ... Not sure if some were in the 90s, but I think most of them fall into the 80s.

I don't think I know any of the giant robot shows you mentioned... over here it was Voltron. the 5 lions that could form a giant robot. Of course, there were the giant robots in Transformers too, like Devastator, Predaking and other cool bots. :D

Lotsa good memories :)

Arkayne

Enlightened
Tranzor Z, Voltron, Transformers, Go-Bots (ewwe), MASK, Silverhawks, Muncheechees, Johnny Quest, Jetsons, Flintstones, The Littles....

TorchMan

Enlightened
Transformers I liked. Got into that when I was a stocker at Needles Markup and several that worked at the candy counter watched it on break. I liked it when Optimus was leader and StarScream was around, not later with Rotbot (Rotumus) and Galvatron instead of Megatron. It's my understanding a live action movie is on the way?

SuperFriends I think of as a 70's cartoon. Speed Racer rocks, but I consider that a 60's cartoon, though I believe some were also made in the 90's? Gotta love the Mach 5. I still have a HotWheels called The Second Wind that I swear is the Mach 5.

Speaking of 90's, I got into The X-Men cartoons, and have watched most all of them in the last two years on cable. The first movie even has a brief segment where the cartoon theme plays in the background.

Hmm, I have a sudden craving for sweetened cereal now... :grin2:

Walt175

Enlightened
Starblazers!!! Transformers were cool too.
How about Spiderman and his amazing friends? Thundarr? Blackstar? Dungeons and Dragons? :rock:

Last edited:

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Voltron, Transformers, M.A.S.K., Thundercats, Robotech, Battle Of The Planets, Captian Caveman, He-Man, She-Ra, Inspector Gadget, Hong Kong Phooey, Plastic Man and others I cant remember the title of at the moment.

Last edited:

Santelmo

Enlightened
Being more or the hi-tech/machine persuasion, how the heck could I forget the CENTURIONS! I liked Jake Rockwell's "Wild Weasel" rig the best!

Another one I REALLY liked (although I believe it was already early 90's) was SPIRAL ZONE! The packs and vehicles were awesome! I understand it didn't last long because it was a bit "grim" at times. Anyone else remember it?

WNG

Enlightened
Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion, SpeedRacer, were the animes from my childhood in the late 60s early 70s.

There was also an anime on Saturday nights on the international UHF channel. It was about a pilot with a rocket bike that had to fade through the body of a mecha in order to enter. He battled demon monsters and robots. He would transform into a hawk and fly through the enemy.

taiji

Enlightened
I was still in Manila at that time so I watched the same as you Santelmo. My fav was Voltes V and (how could you forget?) Daimos.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember liking Battle of The Planets a lot. Thundercats, Voltron, Transformers, He Man, The Groovy Ghoulies, Captain Caveman, Scooby Doo, the Jetsons, The Superfriends, Johnny Quest. Man, there were a lot of them! Lots of pre-80's, too....Flintstones, Bugs Bunny (and friends), Droopy, Underdog, Mighty Mouse, Tom Slick, George of The Jungle, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Taffy, the one with Mr. Peabody and Sherman, Popeye (the original and the later 80's ones). There was one, that I can't remember now, but I remember one of the characters was called "The Master Blaster", anybody remember that one or know what I'm talking about?

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
We didn't like Voltron much. Even at that young age we caught on to the uber-repetitive and formulaic Japanime format and eschewed it. We liked higher forms of drama, such as G.I. Joe, wich had complex plot-lines and multi episode story-arcs. :D

However, we would tune in on occasion just to make sure the episode where they went swimming off the Lion robots, and Princess Allura wore the pink bikini wasn't on... :drool:

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
Some of my faves:

Transformers
GIJoe
ThunderCats
Jetsons
He-Man

among several others.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i was born in 85, and don't recognize most of the titles mentioned here, but i was always a real big she-ra fan. i liked he-man as well, but not quite as much.

what was the one with the police, and the guy with the siren built into his head?

helios

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone remember Ultraman (Japanese import I believe) and Marineboy?

I'm afraid to even mention some of my favorites. How about Underdog ("never fear because Underdog is here"!) and The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show?

Santelmo

Enlightened
taiji said:
I was still in Manila at that time so I watched the same as you Santelmo. My fav was Voltes V and (how could you forget?) Daimos.

Yikes sifu! My bad! How could I forget!