OSRAM OSTAR LE W E3B - first test and pictures

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF members,

today my OSRAM OSTAR arrived. It's a LE W E3B. Of course I share my first impressions with you.

In short: It is definitely bright. Very bright. I had to use solar shield foil (bought for the solar eclipse in 1999) to directly watch the emitter in action.

The first picture shows the OSRAM star on a CPU heatsink (normally used for a Pentium4):

OSRAM_OSTAR_LE_W_E3B_on_Heatsink.jpg

The close-up picture shows more details:

OSRAM_OSTAR_LE_W_E3B_on_Heatsink_CloseUp.jpg

On the next picture I fed the star with 18V 700mA (~12W).

OSRAM_OSTAR_LE_W_E3B_BRIGHT.jpg

I made some first measurements, or better observations (since they are not very scientific). All tests were made with the star laying on the heatsink with with a thin layer of standard heat-conducting paste between star and heatsink.

Minimum useful operating mode is about 15V @100mA. The LED gets quite bright already. Next major step in brightness is made @ 16V 300mA when it outperformes a Luxeon III. When operated at 20V 700mA it beats the pants off a Luxeon V at maximum power. I will provide comparison pictures soon.

One word about temperature: While running at low current values (100-500mA) it didn't get hot on the heatsink (30-32°C). When driven at 700-1000mA it got slowly hotter up to 37-40°C.

Next step for me is to find a suitable housing. I'm looking forward to receive a step-up driver capable of doing 22V 980mA from a low voltage battery source up to 4A input current.

Best regards.

BBL

Enlightened
impressive... but i guess the die is quite large, so no thrower either.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 27W 420lumen monster in a "single" die package. Nice! I wonder how it will go in a m~g on a Hotlips and AL reflector. Do you think the emitter be removed? How much did it cost you?

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
hotbeam said:
Do you think the emitter be removed? How much did it cost you?

Emitter and lens seem to be glued onto the aluminium plate. I don't think it can be removed without irreversible damage.

I paid 65 EUR.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Really high Wattage LED emmiters.

Impressive :cool: I thought the 5W Luxeons were the most powerful emitters around.

420 Lumens @ 27W. Shame about the price, I would love to see more High-Power emitters replacing standard lighting (at reasonable cost).

Do the prices get more reasonable when bought 1000 or so at a time?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price is not bad. Consider the 120lm LuxV at $30 and the 420lm Ostar at $80

Luminator, can you take a close up pic of the LuxV in comparison with the Ostar?

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
Icarus said:
sp5it & luminator where are you living? :thinking:

I'm located in germany. The OSRAM Opto Semiconductors headquarter is not far away so it might be possible to get better prices in a group buy. But 1,000 ...? :drool:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a demo of that LED package - quite impressive.

Osram is sampling / pilot production I think right now, but the price discussed is about right.

I am looking for a driver for one myself. Nice work.

Luminator

Newly Enlightened
hotbeam said:
The price is not bad. Consider the 120lm LuxV at $30 and the 420lm Ostar at $80

Luminator, can you take a close up pic of the LuxV in comparison with the Ostar?

Of course:

OSTAR_VS_LUX_V.jpg

I'd say same size, same geometry.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Email sent to me from ARC mania- Pictured with the Ostar LED's is my new converter to drive the 15 watter
from a 12 volt input and the 10 watter from a 9 volt input. Will have beam
shots soon.

A batch of 24 of the Ostar emitters is in ARC mania's hands. He is on the ball. The emitters are impressive and should give LumiLEDs serious competition. These emitters will soon be in test mules to measure output and run time. The results should be interesting. We'll see how the Ostar competes with the gold standard Luxeon emitters.

roguesw

Enlightened
dang true blue, those look the business mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i cant wait till production of these get underway and
cant wait till for future lights!

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back! At last! Will be building these babies into flashlights having multi level brightness control running 4 x CR123's, side by side to keep the package small. Will start a new thread soon. Sorry, didn't mean to jump the thread.

ARC mania