Downtown building burns due to lost flashlight

eveready

Newly Enlightened
Know where your flashlight is
By Joe Morris
Business Editor

A fire apparently started by a cigarette lighter destroyed a two-story downtown building Saturday afternoon and could force an adjacent restaurant to close.

The apartment's resident, Lee Mabry, 71, said he probably started the fire by using a lighter to search for a flashlight after his bedroom lamp bulb burned out. He left the windowless bedroom briefly, and when he returned, he found the room engulfed in flames, Mabry said.

**EDITED per CPF Rules**

Last edited by a moderator:

cosine

Newly Enlightened
That's why I know exactly where all my flashlights are and that's why I've practiced finding them by feel in pitch blackness. :whistle:

cosine

Newly Enlightened
glockboy said:
You're not EDC? :huh:

Out about town I do. At home though I empty my pockets of everything 'cause I hate lounging about with my pockets bulging with stuff. I find it kinda uncomfortable.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repeat after us....lighters are not illumination tools... lighters are not illumination tools..

Put tritium locators in your lights instead. ;)

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm pretty new to the tritium in flashlight thing, but I have to echo that sentiment. I keep at least one tritium light by the bed, in addition to the several other lights around it. And bash them all you want (I do to, at times) but a two D Mag or larger is easier to find by feel as well, so my lineup always includes a couple of Mags.

TorchMan

Enlightened
greenlight,

I thought the same thing, I expected to hear about a hotwire being dropped, or a SureFire or some other Lithium Ion light getting hot or having a battery explosion. I'd say it's more accurate that the building burned due to a lighter. I'm wondering if it was a Zippo type that stayed lit when dropped.