So, do I want an L2 or an A2?

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I don't know. Owners of those two lights, please chime in! Tell me what you like and don't like about them.

The only difference between them that I can really see is that the L2 is brighter. So what would be an advantage of having an A2 over an L2? (I gotta be convinced that the A2 will provide enough light. Yep, I'm one of those "brighter is better" people. :whistle:)

Beamshots of the two lights would be appreciated too, along with actual pics of the lights side by side.

Mucho gracias. :grin2:

Edit: What about a U2? Anyone care to explain how those work and whether they're a comfortable carrying size?

I'm a newbie at all of this.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
U2: clicky on/off, you turn the dial near the bezel to change brightness - very bright! Read recent rants about it; I still think it's a kick-a light. It's about the size of a 3x123 light, if that serves as any reference. I can carry it comfortably clipped to my pants, but YMMV.

metalhed

Enlightened
I just received my first L2 last week...and I'm stoked.

It really is an impressive piece of work. It is brighter than I expected (as bright as my 3x3 watt lights on high) in both modes (low is brighter than an Arc LS by my eye.) It is also smaller than I expected, and rides very well in the pocket as an EDC,at least so far.

Battery life seems to be very, very good. No problems here with rotten tint, dust, or a flaky switch. My only criticism is that I don't like the style of lanyard they include...big deal.

Highly recommended light, as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Protaeus

Enlightened
The L2 produces a bright flood. Good for close to medium range work, bad for longer range work.
There have also been some issues and ongoing debate regarding the runtime ofthe L2 on high. THe luxeon V is driven hard - with possible overheating issues...

The Incandescent of the A2 is actually a lot brighter than surefire states. I believe someone measured it to be closer to 80 Lumens and its regulation is pretty good for the 50minutes it goes for.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I've been going back and forth on this debate also. A2, L2, L4 with two-stage mod, U2 the list seems endless. If you break out the floods you get the L4 and the L2. the A2 I guess is both, with flood on low and more of a thrower on high. I have seen all the beamshots posted and they certainly help to see what the actual lights are doing. Isn't it nice that we never seem to be beyond this decision making process, there are so many great lights to buy that are similar. I know the motto of "buy them both" reigns supreme here but that doesn't solve the problem of which to buy first! Oh wait, I guess it should read, "buy them all first" ha ha

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
IMHO this is the classic case of buy both. My favorite Surefires are the A2, L2 & M6.

I recommend that you get white LEDs if you get a A2. The white LEDs have a smoother beam than the colored LEDs and white is generally more useful. The colored LEDs are more special purpose and if you need them you'll know it.

The A2 has both throw and flood. The incandescent has good throw for such a small light. The LEDs are not to bright for map reading and yet they are enough light to walk with in quality dark.

The L2 is in my opinion mainly for use on low. The 8 to 10 hours of regulated light on low is awesome. The L2 on low is much brighter than the A2 on low. The L2 on low replaced my gen1 KL1/3x123 McLux with 7 hours of regulated light and a gen1 KL3/C3 with 8 hours of regulated light.

If you have both the A2 & L2 you have four levels of light and both throw and flood.

I think the A2, L2 & U2 are the most practical Surefires. The U2 is a general purpose light.

I have a U2, but it's not one of my favorites. The U2 pocket clip does allow bezel down carry and some of the people here on CPF love them, but the diameter is a little bigger than I would want to EDC. I do use the U2 with a Pila around the house sometimes.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2 is a beaut! If you are an LED guy, go for it!

On the other hand, if you are an incandescent guy, or prefer throw over flood, go for the A2!

-tom

Topper

Flashaholic*
I do not have both. I really do like the A2 and if I understood Hoghead as the L2 on low as brighter than the A2 useing the leds or low if you will then I think the L2 on low would be a little too bright for "low" at times I wish my A2 was dimmer on low.
Topper :)

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I am going to over simplify things, but this is what my thought process would be.

If I was primarily going to use the light outdoors and wanted more throw, I'd go with the A2.

If I was going to primarily use the light indoors, and wanted more flood, I'd go with the L2.

There is no right or worng decision, rather just which one suits you best.

Hope I might have helped,
John

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hello cosine. I have both lights and they are both great. I have a few points that I managed to think about regarding the strengths and weaknesses of both lights.

L2 Strengths:
Impact resistant LED, but on the other hand, the A2 Lamp isn't that fragile either.
Able to accept rechargeables.
Indoor flood light great for illuminating large areas at once.
Slim and might be easier to carry.

L2 Weaknesses:
Very poor when it comes to illuminating objects more than 20 metres away in an open area at night.
Eyes tend to respond less quickly to LEDs than to incandescents.
Low mode might be too blinding for some.

A2 Strengths:
Brightest, whitest, furthest throwing Surefire 6V light compared to my L2, U2, E2d, G2.
LED low mode is very useful and not blinding.
Great for identifying objects at night.

A2 weaknesses:
No reliable/easy rechargeable option.
Lamp assembly can fail, but it is rare.

I am currently carrying the A2 all the time because I believe that when I need a light, it better be able to show me what is in front of me for quite some distance before it gets too close. The L2 cannot fit this role adequately.

Last edited:

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Next step is to go play with both flashlight at the store and actually see the difference between the A2's throw and the L2's flood, and the A2's low and the L2's low.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with the L2 at the range and didn't care for it - I'm an L4 fan myself..

*wonders to self if you could somehow combine L2 and A2 to have AL2..* AL RULES!!

nc987

Enlightened
Quite frankly, ive used both and im not crazy about either. Now you can see my sig im a surefire guy, but the L2 simply does not throw enough for me and is too long for a 2 cell light. My KL2 is a better flood light as it projects damn near 180 degrees of light in front of you yet isnt too bright for close up work. Not to mention it looks alot better but this doesnt really matter.

The A2, well i really dont see the appeal. Ive had experience with all 5 colors. If i go incandescent i want it brighter than 50 lumens. Just get a E2L, a red and blue filter and you have 3 different colors and brighter red and blue colors than the A2 can offer.

Id take my U2 anyday over the A2.

carrot

Flashaholic
80 lumens. And regulated, with a stunningly white output. After the E2e's been running for awhile, the A2 will clearly trump it. Not to mention a low light output when 80 lumens is overpowering. But of course, you can see my bias in my own sigline.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Its really depends on what you will be use it for. for normal use, I will actually choose L2. Most of time, i don't need much of throw, i just want to see what's in front of me the most.

If you think there is a possibility that you will use the light in wild, the A2 is better choice. Regard or the blue tint on low.....i have found most of low light (0.7, 1, 3 lument) does have more or less of blue when u use it far away....i don't really consider them as blue tint. Its mainly because the light is so low, when far away, i feel it is a bit blue on white wall. having some low lights, i had to admit that A2 has more blue than L1. But normal use with light that low....you don't reconize unless you really like to see beam on white wall.