• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired L2P Head Removal?

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Any ideas on how to get the head off the L2P and install the CR123 tube? I've tried twisting as hard as I can & it won't budge! Feels like it's held in place with glue or locktite. I assume these are standard right-hand threads (clockwise to tighten if the lens was a clockface).

robk

Enlightened
I got two today, one gave me a bit of trouble removing the head to install a CR123 body. They're not loctited or glued, just real tight. Sound's weird but I wet the head and wrap it with a piece of foam rubber packing material, gives you a better grip. Threads are standard - righty tighty, lefty loosy. Just keep at it. One other thing, the O-ring didn't make it through the disassembly, it ripped probably due to no lube - good thing they come with extras!
Rob
PS- Make sure you lube the little thin O-rings on the 123 body - they look fragile, I use Radio Shack Multi-Purpose Lube Gel, others may say to use Nyogel, but it's not available easily.

PPS- You will love the L2P head with 123 body! Lightweight, small, bright!

Last edited:

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Finally got it off with a thin rubber mouse pad & crescent wrench/towel.

This little light is great! I got 20min runtime out of an old 1.9v Surefire CR123!

It finally cut off around 1.5v, 20 minutes later.

I had 4 black label Panasonic batteries from around 2001 that were around 2.6v and only one of them would turn on the light. With two of the others, the LED would briefly flash, then go out, one wouldn't even turn the light on. I assume these cells are pretty worn & can't supply the mA drawn. Besides, they were way too tight in the CR123 tube.

I tried 6 new Amondotech Titanium CR123's and they're 100% (fit great, just like the Surefire...both slide in and out nicely). I had to unscrew both the head & tail to push the Panasonics out haha. So much for using up the really old batteries :) I should have trashed them long ago!

Interestingly, the L2P head works just fine on a new 1.5v AA alkaline.

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
The 123A conversion is great for draining older cells that won't cut the mustard in lux III torches. The 123A body will pay for itself in this way. Makes for a more compact EDC too!