Carry Solution for Hurricane Deployment?

dca2

Enlightened
I am trying to get my lights in order for future call ups from the National Guard.

Background: My unit (156th Army Band-Louisiana) gets tasked with security missions/patrols. When we were deployed for H. Katrina, we were only issued stock angleheads. I had my own SF E2e and G2 with 12 batteries when it all started. Later, after the water went down, we were on patrol in the powerless city-New Orleans- in Humvees. After 2 weeks, they bought stupid-big recharge spotlights (no car chargers) to use on 12 hour overnight (1800-0600) shifts.

I am trying to decide on a light for general patrol uses (car stops, looking down an alley, shinning in an open house door) that uses an external charger for batteries (less likely to have batteries stolen from a charger than the light - ala SL Strion) and is a durable light--rain, momentary submersion if dropped, etc.

After reading the posts, the Wolfeyes 9A looks to be a nice option. I would like to stick with RCR123's with the option to use primaries in most lights I would carry. I own one of Dae's 7W Golstons that takes RCR123's. Would that be an alright option since I already own it?

I think the Wolfeyes 9A, E2e (on primaries), JetBeam with 123 tube (when it arrives), a small light for patrol log --SL Stylus?--and several extra charged batteries would be adequate for a 12 hour shift. Is there a multi-bay, smart charger for RCR123's that can also use 12v DC? I have a DSD but it only charges 2 at a time.

I also own Triton P1, Fenix L1P-2 stage mod, Inova X5, SF G2, Mag85, Minimag TLE5 and SMJLED, Tikka but these would be better with my living gear, not on actual patrol.(nothing like searching through a duffel bag with a Mag85 :mad: )

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
most of the tasks do not need a powerful light, the 2aa ones would be ok there, so how about an AA charger with car plug?
Most newer ones with separated power supply offer the 12 V input leads originally.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
most of the tasks do not need a powerful light, the 2aa ones would be ok there, .

I would say it depends on lighting conditions. If in a powerless area with no ambient lighting a small personal light can seem very bright.

If you do unfortunately have to deploy in such conditions, which I understandably hope not (I live in Fl.), try out that Mag85!!!

Would love to see what kind of reach you get somewhere with no ambient lights!
Yee Haw:grin2:

dca2

Enlightened
When the next one hits and we are tasked again with similar duties in large areas without power, i.e. lights, powerful, personal light is a must. For example, for 2 weeks I was on a team that had perimeter security for FEMA HQ--Large area with ball fields, woods, parking lots and blown down fences. We had limited lighting in the living areas and at the 2 gates. There was NO lighting for the rest of the perimeter other than the headlights on our Deere Gator don't know size of area but it was a 15-20 min ride to make one round. After 5 months, there were still entire neighborhoods with no lights at all

dca2

Enlightened
And....

Once streetlight came back up, different blocks were dark as well as the alleys we patrolled. The recharge. spots they gave us would last maybe 2, 3 hours tops with conservative use. They were great except for size while the charge lasted.

From my experience, I feel I do need a small light cannon that I can recharge daily and have the ability for 12v dc charging (clips to one of the vehicle's battery)

dca2

Enlightened
webley445 said:
Perhaps one of the SL options as mentioned before?
(Stinger, Ultra, Strion)
Come with car chargers.

Problem there is I probably will be in vehicles without cig lighters. Most tactical vehicles are on 24v generators and often spike in voltage output. That said, when the vehicle is not running, jumping off of one battery (12v) is safe and steady for most 12v electronics.

I think a solution with removable batteries is better for me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I love my Pila GL3R: built like tanks, bright incan, size is just right, and you can use the LED tailcaps for low-light needs. You can also use primary 123's or Pila's rechargeable batts, and you can get the optional car charger.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Although it does not meet your criteria for external battery charging, the Inova T4 sounds like it would be a good choice for a tactical light.

I think the Fenix 2PL would be good for a general purpose type light.

If it were me I would also carry a Petzl Zipka Plus. It's retractable design makes it darn versatile.

dca2

Enlightened
I already own EDC's, headlamps, small lights, etc. that I am comfortable with. I guess I am really trying to add 2 things--a bright, rechargeable, tactical thrower and a flexable way to charge 123's. (12v dc from battery posts or 110v ac when/if available)

greenLED said:
I love my Pila GL3R: built like tanks, bright incan, size is just right, and you can use the LED tailcaps for low-light needs. You can also use primary 123's or Pila's rechargeable batts, and you can get the optional car charger.

Will this run on 3 RCR123 or must it use the Pila batts?

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowing how the government works, I don't think you'll be getting anything other than the same old angle lights that have been issued since WWII, so I guess you'll be supplying your own.

You mentioned looking for something that might be able to charge the battery externally away from the flashlight. Have you considered a SL Stinger with one of the Piggyback chargers? For looking down an alley, there's nothing quite as efficient as one of those 55W spotlights (with or without internal battery,) if you don't have spotlights mounted on your vehicle. I'd be inclined to carry one of the 2xCR123 incandescents as a back-up rather than as a primary light.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
IMO stay away from the Stylus. I have one. Form factor is not too handy and the 4A batts are a PITA to find (locally) in the best of situations. Get you a couple handfuls of the $3.00 photon knock-offs from Countycomm. When one goes down, toss it and grab another. :D

The Fenix L1P is GTG.

wwglen

Enlightened
I would probably use:

1. PR based SMJLED bulb in the 2-D angle head light for general use. Good for 200+ hours.

2. MAG 3-C (or 3-D) with a one-three watt led replacement bulb (Regulated) or Dorcy 3-D. Good for 24+ hours. I have a 2-D Mag with a 400mA regulator driving a 3-watt LED. Good fairly bright and 24+ hours on 2-D cells.

wwglen.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Pelican and UK make some good, overlooked lights.

I took the UK 4aa, added the bulb from the rechargeable model, and 4 AA nimh cells. It makes a nice light: tough, waterproof, ~2 hour runtime, very bright, nice throw.

AA cells are easy to find. The bulb doesn't cost a fortune either.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be inclined to carry a pocket full of lights, to have some redundency in case of loss or to extend your runtime for one shift.

Maybe a pair of Strions, and a couple of AA lights, like the Streamlight or UK 4AA's, or a Fenix L2. Then you could run rechargeable AA's or use Alkaline AA's that you might acquire along the way. I would try to have something along with lesser brightness and longer runtime so if you had to have light for a long time you would still have some light left.