people pawning jewelery for gas money !

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw CNN news report that indicated people are pawning their jewlery for gas money. Have you guys heard about it in your area?
People on fixed income are pawning their fur coat, diamond rings. This is serious problem. :drool:

Robban

Enlightened
Like I said in the other thread: try Sweden's prices at $6.10/gallon :rant:
(and it has been like that for years...)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
marcdilnutt said:
Or the uk, its just gone over £1 per litre here! I love our country. marc

So that's, ummm, roughly $7.12/Gallon in USD. So that would run me about $142.40 USD to fill up an empty tank.

-First Point: I'm glad gas is still cheaper here in the US (no offense to anyone else).

-Second Point: Even though fuel is cheaper here, I'm still glad I do public transit and only drive my Jeep about once a week!

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soon people will be selling food, clothes, their bodies, maybe even drugs to buy gas. Hookers and dealers have to drive, too.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
picard said:
I saw CNN news report that indicated people are pawning their jewlery for gas money. Have you guys heard about it in your area?
People on fixed income are pawning their fur coat, diamond rings. This is serious problem. :drool:

damn selling their fur coar and diamond rings, whats next their spinner rims? :laughing:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck no. They'll still parked in the driveway making "vroom vroom" noises before selling those spinners. At least they can't look any dumber.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said in the other thread: try Sweden's prices at $6.10/gallon

What is the economy like in the European nations? It is common in some parts of America to find tourists from Europe. I've talked to lots of them that say they take off an entire month for vacation then travel around America. Very few working Americans would even be allowed to take off that much vacation, and even if they did they could not afford to fly overseas and pay lodging, travel and food costs for that long. So I'm wondering if the average European working person makes more money than the average American working person. Maybe $6.10/gallon to them is nothing. After all in Europe a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche is just an average car to them, nothing special.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Think Hugo Chavez is smirking at us gringos now? :naughty:

I walk when I can and have over inflated the balony skins by 5 pounds, removed the front license plate from my car (anything to cut down on wind resistance). Thinking about shaving the side mirrors and ripping the rear seats out to lighten the load.

The dollar has really taken a pounding and like I said four years ago, gold it the way to go. Do flashlights have any sort of pawn value?

Robban

Enlightened
bjn70 said:
What is the economy like in the European nations? It is common in some parts of America to find tourists from Europe. I've talked to lots of them that say they take off an entire month for vacation then travel around America. Very few working Americans would even be allowed to take off that much vacation, and even if they did they could not afford to fly overseas and pay lodging, travel and food costs for that long. So I'm wondering if the average European working person makes more money than the average American working person. Maybe $6.10/gallon to them is nothing. After all in Europe a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche is just an average car to them, nothing special.
I can only speak for Sweden. Here everyone has the right to 4 weeks payed vacation per year. So they're just using the days that they have legal right to.

I don't know if we make more than you guys. I doubt it. At my current job I get payed decent (right around average for my part of the country), roughly $31k a year before tax, $23k after (yay for crazy taxes!). I'd imagine you guys have quite a bit more left after taxes than we do.

And I wouldn't call a Porsche an average car in any country :p

NickelPlate

Enlightened
picard said:

Oh man!! Pawning their fur coats and diamond rings!! Times are hard. :rolleyes:

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put $30 in my tank this morning and it didn't even fill it up and I drive a Grand Am. I'm glad I work 12 hour shifts and only have to drive to work 3 days a week!

CLHC

Flashaholic
The news this morning saw $4.05 per gallon! Of course that was in the zip code area of 90210.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what if people start selling their cars for gas money, what then?

heh actually the above would do well for a blonde joke.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
CHC said:
The news this morning saw $4.05 per gallon! Of course that was in the zip code area of 90210.

Isn't it interesting when prices are going up, it's the lead story and they ALWAYS do a story about the highest price in the nation.

When prices dropped from over $3 last summer to $1.90 last winter, it was hardly a story...and they NEVER searched out the lowest price.

I don't trust much of what is reported on the news networks.

chrisse242

Enlightened
bjn70 said:

Hey, you can see thousands of americans, people from japan and many other countries in germany and all over europe. Most of them stay for a long time.
Average europeans that travel to the US probably saved their money for a long time to afford the trip. Actually, flying that far is so expensive, it's simply not worth doing it for only one or two weeks.
One thing is for sure: Most BMW and Mercedes are well above average, as is every porsche I know. Average cars would be some VW's, Ford, as well as some french and Japanese brands.

Chrisse

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Heck no. They'll still parked in the driveway making "vroom vroom" noises before selling those spinners. At least they can't look any dumber.

I believe that they might sell spinner rims for sure. This rate of gas hike is a repeat history of 70s oil crisis.

TorchMan

Enlightened
magic79 said:
Isn't it interesting when prices are going up, it's the lead story and they ALWAYS do a story about the highest price in the nation.

When prices dropped from over $3 last summer to $1.90 last winter, it was hardly a story...and they NEVER searched out the lowest price.

I don't trust much of what is reported on the news networks.

I'm not being an advocate for the networks, because I agree with you. However, some local telvision stations here will give out the address of gas stations with the lowest prices. Made the mistake of going to one of those once, and the line was ridiculous. They encourage viewers to call in with the lowest prices they see.

Good news is just not as sensational as bad, and probably doesn't sell as well.