New Star Trek Movie!

TorchMan

Enlightened
Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know...I really liked Star Trek in the early days but they've gotten so washed out and PC with their recent stories and future settings where everything looks like the Westin Bonaventure hotel. I much preferred the grittier Firefly/Serenity vision and story lines.

That part in Serenity where the Operative says "I'm not armed..." and Mal says "Good.." and shoots him was such a great counterpoint to Kirk, Spock, et al in the Star Trek universe...

TorchMan

Enlightened
I agree about the PC part, especially for the earlier time period show Enterprise. Then again maybe these things swing like a pendulum. It was just so generic in everything, like they were afraid to venture from a formula. I read an interview with someone that did music for some of the more recent Trek series and he said they discouraged unique or different sounding music in favor of the bland.

Of course the new movie is a prequel as well, and one that will be doing known characters played by other actors for decades. Big shoes to fill, IMO. I'd probably go see it though, and would at least rent the DVD.

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
History has shown that the odd numbered movies are the dogs of the Star Trek franchise. This will be film number 11 (though number 10 was pretty weak too).

zulu45

Enlightened
I like Star Trek (though wasn't a fan of Enterprise), but I loved all of the movies. I'm probably one of the few who really liked Nemesis. I wouldn't say that the odd numbered ones sucked, though. I thought Star Trek III was the best of all ten. I really liked how all four of the TNG movies had a lot about Data, and him learning about humanity.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I liked Nemesis as well, even though I generally disliked TNG. And, (quickly donning my anti-flame suit) I totally disliked the Data character (I do like Spiner as an actor, though). I'll probably wait to see the latest movie on DVD, and will probably rent rather than buy, since I'm not really optimistic about it. Like all the movies, I have to see them, no matter how badly they get panned.

guncollector

Enlightened
Hmmm... Paramount going back to the well. Imagine that.

Still a fan of the original. Campy, politically less-correct, overdramatized.

Just started watching the amateur startreknewvoyages.com's videos. Done in the original fashion.

Many of the same behind-the-scene tech and prop guys work or donate time to STNV. Mr. Chekov is starring in an upcoming episdode, playing an aged himself in screenplay where he has travelled through time.

Beam me up, baby!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I'm very aprehensive about this announcement. I'm not really sure they should fiddle with well established characters.

I also have concerns about J.J. Abrams. He really has not done a lot of sci-fi stuff (I don't really consider Lost to be sci-fi) and I don't want to have him turn the Star Trek franchise into Alias with phaser pistols.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Siriuslite said:
History has shown that the odd numbered movies are the dogs of the Star Trek franchise. This will be film number 11 (though number 10 was pretty weak too).
I was about to mention this too. Now it no longer matters if it's an odd or even number, it's probably going to be a turkey. The original series had the right formula (characters, script, sets, and the special effects couldn't be relied upon to overshadow a bad plot like sci-fi tends to do today). Ok so some stuff was hokey by today's standards, and some of the original episodes I didn't care for, but it was groudbreaking for it's day thanks primarily to Gene Roddenberry.

TorchMan

Enlightened
While I'm excited about another movie, the retro setting and other actors as familiar characters has me very concerned. I don't know this director either, never watched Lost or the other show mentioned. I hated the first MI move, but that wasn't him, was it?

I do worry about the powers that be at Paramount messing it up, and Paramount has always been able to mess it up, right from the get go in the sixties. They've never really known how to handle it. Heck, even with all the fan conventions and whatnot after the cancelletion of TOS, they had to wait for the success of Star Wars before making that horrible V'Ger script movie, which seemed like a worse re-hash of the Nomad episode.

I do think the odd/even thing is a good general guide to the first eight movies or so.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Paramount follows the lead of what has been done by the New Voyages group they might have a chance to do all right. I've looked at some of the other fan created episodes and find STNV the best of the bunch. The first episode was basically fanservice but the second was very good.

It might be hard to recast the main characters for a major movie with this franchise despite the sucess of other franchises doing the same. If they do I think they need to release two very well written movies very close together to establish the new crew.

As long as it doesn't involve time travel. Those episodes always give me headaches!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really hate the new startrek story before it is made. I don't want to watch the wonder years of captain kirk. Why can't paramount write better story? They can't even come up with original and futuristic stuff. paramount might be heading the way of GM motor soon.

I really like paramount write story about the 30th century of the Federation where humans explore beyond our galaxy. Moreover, the federation can easily match the Borg in technology and fire power. This is dam pitiful for paramount to write a story about kirk's youth.